Best Snorkeling in Nassau???

dirvin0500

We are booked to be there the end of Oct 08 and only a couple of excursions from the ship. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good trip with good sights? We will be "in town" from the morning until midnight so we thought we'd snorkel int he morning, clean up and then have lunch on shore and shop until nightime. Any suggestions for that also??

We are booked to be there the end of Oct 08 and only a couple of excursions from the ship. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good trip with good sights? We will be "in town" from the morning until midnight so we thought we'd snorkel int he morning, clean up and then have lunch on shore and shop until nightime. Any suggestions for that also??

Hi,

There's really no shore diving in Nassau but with that much time book a snorkel excursion with Stewart Cove (http://www.stuartcove.com/). They are the best boat-based snorkel and dive operator on the island. You should know they're on the south side of the island and Nassau's on the north side, but they provide transportation to/from the cruise terminal. They do both morning and afternoon snorkel trips so call or write them for times and details. You'll be glad you went with them.

Randall

As usual, Scubaran's advise is spot on. I wrote up a review of my cruise which includes some info about Start's Cove:

Nassau: “Snorkel Bahamas Adventure” is a 5-½ hour trip operated by Stuart’s Cove. On a previous excursion I went on the impressive Athol Island snorkel. This Stuart’s Cove outing surpassed all of my previous experiences, including Athol Island. The boat trip is @ three hours, and visits Schoolhouse Reef, the spectacular Golden Key Reef and finally a “swim with the sharks” at ‘The Wreck of the Bahama Mama’. I have never before witnessed such a number and variety of fish as at Golden Key. There are never-ending fish, large and small, singly and in large schools. The floor is decorated with huge, magnificent coral formations of all shapes and sizes. While there, a shark cruised past our group. He obviously thought this was his ocean and didn’t know, nor care, that we weren’t scheduled for a shark encounter until after Golden Key. Surprisingly, getting in with a dozen or so sharks is not frightening. I suspect we were too caught up with their grace and magnificence to be scared. The fact that the boat captain hadn’t lost a diver in twelve years was also encouraging. This is a five star, gold medallion, prime trip, not to be missed!

Archived