Cozumel-what to do with kids?

golf4food

Our stops include Key West, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and the ship's island (which will be a beach day for sure since from what I hear the excursions are bad). I am looking for suggestions for all of them but since this is the Cozumel board, I will get info here. The kids will be 16, 13, and 13 for our cruise over New Years.

We would like to snorkel someplace, we have never done that, and the kids love to swim in the ocean. Which locations would be the best for each of those?

We are thinking of going to Xcarat when we are in Cozumel. DH and I have been there and I know the kids would love that but it would take up our entire day. Is that worth it or is there a better suggestion?

Are the beaches in Cozumel as nice as they are in Cancun? Better then Grand Cayman? We will have to go to Hell in Grand Cayman, the kids will LOVE that.

I am looking for any and all advice, THANKS!

Xcaret is an excellent choice, even if there is some transportation time to be taken into consideration, but the park has something for everybody and certainly a great experience for children. For beaches, you do not need to go to Cancun, Cozumel has fine beaches at San Francisco, Paradise, Nachicocom, etc...kids gonna love either the park or the beach club facilities such as iceberg, trampoline, etc...good luck!

I'm thinkin the travel time to Xcarat would be a bit much for the kiddo's, as the other poster suggested check out Paradise Beach, or San Fransico. There is plenty to do and you will save alot of money and time.

Our stops include Key West, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and the ship's island (which will be a beach day for sure since from what I hear the excursions are bad). I am looking for suggestions for all of them but since this is the Cozumel board, I will get info here. The kids will be 16, 13, and 13 for our cruise over New Years.

We would like to snorkel someplace, we have never done that, and the kids love to swim in the ocean. Which locations would be the best for each of those?

We are thinking of going to Xcarat when we are in Cozumel. DH and I have been there and I know the kids would love that but it would take up our entire day. Is that worth it or is there a better suggestion?

Are the beaches in Cozumel as nice as they are in Cancun? Better then Grand Cayman? We will have to go to Hell in Grand Cayman, the kids will LOVE that.

OK - we've been to Cancun, Xcaret, Cozumel (snorkeling, Paradise Beach, Mr Sanchos), and Grand Caymen (snorkel, stingray, and Hell).

I loved Xcaret but the trip from Cozumel will take all day and I think they have to leave before the evening show. Given the time requirements Xcaret should only be taken using a ship tour. IMO the beaches on Cozumel are not as nice as Cancun/Playa del Carmen or Grand Cayman. I've been snorkeling off the shore of Cozumel and also by boat. IMO the snorkeling in Grand Caymen is FAR better. We took a tour by Nativeways in GC that included the sting rays, snorkeling with eels and sharks, and a visit to Rum Point beach. My kids still remember that excursion years later. I would do it again in a heart beat. The visit to Hell is just marketing hype. After taking a picture by the sign and buying a souvenir you are done.

If you have enough time at Xcaret and don't mind missing the evening show then it's a pretty good idea. They'll love swimming through the caves. If you do go to the beach at Cozumel be prepared for rocks. There have been hurricanes and just big storms coming through the last four years and many of the beaches have rocks underwater (including Paradise Beach and Mr Sanchos). Cozumel is super touristy which makes it easy for most Americans. IMO Mr Sanchos is a bit more Mexican (both food, music and few Mexican patrons).

If you are considering Chankanaab with teenagers, IMO you need to determine in advance if they are going to do the swim with the dolphins. You will want to set up reservations in advance. The last thing you want to do is show up and have a group of teenagers is disappointed that are not able to participate. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

We went to Chanakaab Park and loved it. The snorkeling was good enough for us because we aren't EXPERTS! It is more than we will ever see in our Ohio waters. I would recommend this park! You can take a taxi there for about $10-15 and it is around $16 to get in. I know there is a coupon for $2 off admission but I forget the website. It is cheaper (maybe $8 for or so) for kids. It is $10 to rent snorkeling gear. You can also swim with the dolphins at this park. We did the dolphin swim and it was fantastic but pricey!

Archived