Can't make reservations for main dining rooms on Gem?

tripman

Just got off my first NCL cruise on the Gem. I was under the impression you could make dinner reservations for any of the dining rooms...I was wrong. You can only make reservations for the specialty dining rooms, or large parties in the main dining room, but not for just two.

Turns out we never had to wait in the large main dining room any time we went from 5:30pm at the earliest and as late as 7:30pm.

Just an observation.

I guess if there's not a wait, then there's no need for reservations! :)

However, this does differ from what I understood previously and I thank you for posting this info.

I was told that you could get a standing time, and a standing waiter(s) if you so chose. I guess you can still get certain waiters....you just have to wait till a table opens in their section.

We had reservations in both main rooms several times over our cruise. Now, we did have 7 in our party... but no one acted like reservations weren't possible.

Maybe they have a goodly number of 2s and don't need to hold them by reservation?!?

I just got off the Gem on 3/29. I never had any problems with reservations and was advised the same thing. If under 4 and not in a specialty restaurant-no reservation necessary. We never had any wait either.

I do want to suggest trying Cagney's. This cruise I decided to not be cheap and try it and was very pleased. Food was great. I really liked Tequila too-the crap meat quadadias were to die for.

Archived