duty free

sannibop

Hi Sannibop,

Yes you can indeed buy duty free alcohol onboard the ship.

On Oceana last summer they were selling Smirnoff Vodka for about £6/1L, Baileys was about £7/1L and Bombay Sapphire was about £9/1L (these prices are from memory only and from August 2007).

The only thing to remember is that, if the ship is calling at Gibraltar or The Canary Islands you will have restrictions as to the amount you can bring back. If the ship does not visit either of these places, and stays within EU ports then you are subject only to the usual UK restrictions.

Feebee_71

Just to expand on what Feebee said:

In Spain you are within the EU and therefore not entitled to buy duty-free ashore. You may, however, buy as much duty paid as you wish for personal consumption and this will undoubtedly be less expensive than duty paid in UK.

If you go to Gibraltar a trip to Captain Corunna in the Main Street will get you all the duty-free you are allowed, ie one litre of spirits, fortified wine, and a couple of wines - do check.

On our November cruise passengers were really going for the cheap spirits and cigarettes in Gibraltar.

On the radio show the night beforeDJ Harvey warned us about not buying too much as the Customs would be out in force at Southampton.

Indeed they were. I saw one family very upset as their suitcases were emptied and all bottles and cigarettes on display.

I was so glad we hadn't bothered.

Its not that much more expensive at the supermarket and easier to carry home.

Hi we have always bought our drink ashore what are your ports as some are better than others. Use the supermarkets and ask your waiters they know where the cheap drink is and which ports to buy at as we always see them coming back with their beer etc. We only ever bring back our allowance though. Istanbul is amazing for cheap drink we didnt find Gibraltar that cheap better in Spain Cadiz is good but in the supermarket you need to compare. Happy hunting from someone who doesnt drink.

Are you allowed to take the drink you buy at the shops onboard back to your cabin or do they keep it until the last night

Hi we have always taken it back to our cabin and carried it off with us when we get back to Southampton. No one has ever queried it but as I said we only get the allowance:)

Hi Sannibop,

Yes you can indeed buy duty free alcohol onboard the ship.

On Oceana last summer they were selling Smirnoff Vodka for about £6/1L, Baileys was about £7/1L and Bombay Sapphire was about £9/1L (these prices are from memory only and from August 2007).

Feebee_71

These prices really are very cheap, I doubt you could beat this in port, certainly not on our annual trips to stock up in Calais?

If you are aloud to take your purchases back to the cabin as Roley has said you don't need to worry about trying to bring alcohol on board at the start of the cruise or at ports. On our other cruises alcohol bought on board was kept until the last night. We have a lot of sea days on our cruise, our first with PandO, so this is really useful information, thank you.

These prices really are very cheap, I doubt you could beat this in port, certainly not on our annual trips to stock up in Calais?

If you are aloud to take your purchases back to the cabin as Roley has said you don't need to worry about trying to bring alcohol on board at the start of the cruise or at ports. On our other cruises alcohol bought on board was kept until the last night. We have a lot of sea days on our cruise, our first with PandO, so this is really useful information, thank you.

St Lucia,

Please be aware that the actual bottle shop (deck 5 Atrium on Oceana) is not open for you to go to during the first couple of days of the cruise but you can ask your cabin steward to bring you a bottle that takes your fancy ready for in cabin drinks. The more difficult thing might be the mixers as you will be restricted to the small selection held onboard and they are also mostly small cans not full size ones.

I would recommend that you bring onboard the mixers for a couple of days if you want to save some money but not to worry about the alcohol. I will be taking a couple of bottles of champagne onboard with me for the next couple of cruises, especially as it is on special offer in my local supermarket, because P&O do not stock the one I really like.

Feebee_71 :)

I do the same as you Feebee!

I always take on 2 or 3 of my favourite champagne -nothing else.

We buy mixers at our first port of call as this does save a lot of money,but we get the spirits from the cabin steward.

I do the same as you Feebee!

I always take on 2 or 3 of my favourite champagne -nothing else.

We buy mixers at our first port of call as this does save a lot of money,but we get the spirits from the cabin steward.

I only bought spirits for bringing home last year but may well buy a bottle or two for in-cabin drinking later this year when I am away for almost 3 weeks on Oriana.

I will still take my bottles of champagne (2 or 3) and a champagne bottle stopper with me for the cruise as I will be celebrating my birthday whilst onboard and will want to raise a toast to myself!!

Thank you for the advice. It's a good job we are joining our cruise in Southampton, we will add mixers to the box of wine and chocolates already lined up! Are the bottles provided by the cabin steward miniatures or normal size?

Thank you for the advice. It's a good job we are joining our cruise in Southampton, we will add mixers to the box of wine and chocolates already lined up! Are the bottles provided by the cabin steward miniatures or normal size?

St Lucia,

If you buy a bottle of spirits from the cabin steward thenit will be a full 1L size and you will be charged the appropriate onboard price that is charged on the bottle shop.

St Lucia,

If you buy a bottle of spirits from the cabin steward thenit will be a full 1L size and you will be charged the appropriate onboard price that is charged on the bottle shop.

Thank you thats really good, but will the 15% bar gratuity be added?

They don't add 15% to bar bills like RCI

I think that's right not sailed with P&O yet off next week

Elaine0138,

You are indeed right, P&O do not add any gratuity to the prices of drinks purchased onboard (whether duty free bottles, in cabin refreshments or at the bars) it is already included and the prices are not too bad either.

Feebee_71:)

Elaine0138,

You are indeed right, P&O do not add any gratuity to the prices of drinks purchased onboard (whether duty free bottles, in cabin refreshments or at the bars) it is already included and the prices are not too bad either.

Feebee_71:)

It gets better all the time, all our other cruises have had this added. Thanks for that, my other half will be pleased!

Archived