Pay for CruiseCal.com?

cuestic66

I didn't read every post here, so I'm sorry if this has already been posted. Over on the Alaska forum someone posted this site www.porttimes.com

I tried it and it worked great. It's free. You have to first choose your ship and port from drop down menus then it will take you to a calender. Choose the month and it will show what ships will be in port with you each day :)

I didn't read every post here, so I'm sorry if this has already been posted. Over on the Alaska forum someone posted this site www.porttimes.com

I tried it and it worked great. It's free. You have to first choose your ship and port from drop down menus then it will take you to a calender. Choose the month and it will show what ships will be in port with you each day :)

I don't see where to locate cruise info on that site? Are you sure that is the correct URL? :confused:

You have to pay for cruisecal now? That really bites!! I like checking out where the ships are and checking out the ports, but I'm not gonna pay just to look on the computer. Call me cheap but thats just the way I am. Any comments on this?

I probably looked at CruiseCal maybe 4 times total. I really don't care whos in port as you have no control over that. I will find out when I get there. Will I pay for CruiseCal? nope.

Fred

The links in the posts just a few back prove the power of these boards.

I looked up our November cruise here and got the info immediately.

I have used cruisecal in the past, and with the new pricing structure, for 3 bucks to cross compare the info, sure, I'll probably do it. At the prior pricing ($25), I agree with many here that it just wasn't that valuable to me.

Thanks for the link EllieD. I wouldn't pay any money for anything that I can get for free elsewhere. As a consumer, it pays to shop around, and knowledge is power.

Happy to pass on helpful tidbits when I can. I surely have benefited from the contributions of everyone else on CC. Did want to make sure folks took notice of this caution blurb on their website.

"PortTime will always be a work in progress. The bulk of the effort is in entering and maintaining the port schedules for hundreds of ships. We do our best to keep up, but our database will never be 100% accurate. Use this site for research, but please do not make any travel reservations based solely on information provided here. Verify everything with the cruise line or your travel agent first!"

One thing I just noticed on the new site - cruisecal always listed the hours they were in port. Since San Juan is one of my upcoming ports, it makes a difference if they're in early or late like we are. Granted, there's only 3 ships in port, so I'll just take a few seconds to look up their itineraries on the cruise lines sites.

I probably looked at CruiseCal maybe 4 times total. I really don't care whos in port as you have no control over that. I will find out when I get there. Will I pay for CruiseCal? nope.

Fred

For some folks it's just another tool to help them plan their cruise adventure.

I hear that in Alaska "Harv and Marv" have a spectacular whale watching tour. And in Montego Bay it seems that "Barrett Adventures" is a highly recommended local tour company. If you know ahead of time that 6 other ships are in port with you, you also know the number of people hoping to get on the boat with Harv and Marv has just increased dramatically!! Better not wait too long on booking your seat! Last year you might have waited 'til a month before to book and had no problems - but maybe last year you were the only ship in port.

Also I hear that Ketchikan, Alaska is really small (as is the case in some other ports) and the shops can get REALLY crowded if several ships are there at the same time. Particularly if one has little children, elderly parents, or a companion with a wheelchair or other disability, knowing ahead of time the busyness of the port gives them an additional tool to plan accordingly.

You are definitely right - no one has any control over the number of ships that will be there when they arrive. But we don't have any control over the weather either yet weather.com sure is a nice tool to help you plan for what you can't control .:D

One thing I just noticed on the new site - cruisecal always listed the hours they were in port. Since San Juan is one of my upcoming ports, it makes a difference if they're in early or late like we are. Granted, there's only 3 ships in port, so I'll just take a few seconds to look up their itineraries on the cruise lines sites.

I was thinking the same thing. It sure was nice to have that specific time information at my fingertips, but for "free" i guess we can't have it all! :eek: Like you I guess I will get over myself and look up the specific times on own! :D

Just a FYI, I was on the Triumph 3 weeks in a row. The actual itenaries where not the same as listed for any of them. They all were a work in progress:D

Archived