Nefartari Malta -- read this please!!

If you arrive Banff June 7 (I think that is your plan) have a look at Charlton Cedar Court -- Irwin's Mountain Inn has a pretty good rate for a room w/2 queen beds.... $110/night + $10 per extra person.

Have a look -- let me know what you think and I can phone them if necessary to get extra info for you.

Thanks very much! i will check it and let my friends know :) you are really great! thanks so so much.

In the meantime we check your suggestions about Lake louise and we were going to book lake louise inn since they have a room for 5 available. Do you think we will do a mistake to stay two nights over there? since we wanted to go on the gondola maybe canoeing and white water rafting.. and they seem all in that area.

If you arrive Banff June 7 (I think that is your plan) have a look at Charlton Cedar Court -- Irwin's Mountain Inn has a pretty good rate for a room w/2 queen beds.... $110/night + $10 per extra person.

Have a look -- let me know what you think and I can phone them if necessary to get extra info for you.

I checked their site and the hotel looks great but when i entered that we will be 5 persons it gave me that we would need two rooms instead of one.

Funnily enough after our conversation yesterday, last night I watched a travel programme about Malta on the TV! It was good, old buses & all.:)

Just to add another irrelevant piece of information, I come from near the original Banff in Scotland. They named a horrible 1960s hotel after the Canadian Banff Springs Hotel. The Canadian one is far superior & is worth a visit, even if you are not staying there.

Graham.

Funnily enough after our conversation yesterday, last night I watched a travel programme about Malta on the TV! It was good, old buses & all.:)

Just to add another irrelevant piece of information, I come from near the original Banff in Scotland. They named a horrible 1960s hotel after the Canadian Banff Springs Hotel. The Canadian one is far superior & is worth a visit, even if you are not staying there.

Graham.

hehehe was a coincidence then! Hope the travel programme gave us justice! :D

Thanks i will take a note to visit that hotel then even if it for a drink! Scotland is another place on the list of places to visit before i die (actually the whole world is hehe)

The thing on Malta that I watched last night, showed a place in Malta where parts of the films, Midnight Express & Gladiator were filmed. They did not say what the building actually was. Do you know?

Graham.

The thing on Malta that I watched last night, showed a place in Malta where parts of the films, Midnight Express & Gladiator were filmed. They did not say what the building actually was. Do you know?

Graham.

They were filmed in various parts of malta if i recall correctly. I know that mostly though they used the Rinella Studio. Rachel Weiz was lately in Malta starring in a new film .. which i right i forgot the name :o

Book your Banff accommodations as soon as you can -- the Banff Television Festival starts June 8, and there will be LOTS of people attending. Hotels will book up quickly.

Also, if you're planning on golfing, get your tee times right away.

I've been giving this some thought, and here are a few ideas for you and your friends:

A very easy walk is the Fenland Trail (about 45 mins around)

http://www.banff.ca/activities-events/summer/banff-hiking/fenland-trail.htm

The Sundance Canyon hike is long, but NOT a lot up uphill.

http://www.banff.ca/activities-events/summer/banff-hiking/sundance-canyon.htm

There's a couple of "add-on" options to it shown on the web page. Take bottled water to drink. The web page says 1.5 hours -- I'm pretty sure that is JUST one way. Allow 3 hours.

Banff Springs Hotel -- the iconic old hotel that symbolizes Banff, Alberta to everyone. You MUST at least walk through the public areas. If your budget can afford it, stop for a drink at the Rundle Lounge to enjoy the view. (Expect around $10 for a drink, possibly more. Coffee/tea will likely be $5 or $6) To me, a small price to pay for enjoying the view and the history!

To escape the crowds, drive up Lake Minnewanka Road, and follow the signs to Two Jack Lake. There's a small parking lot and picnic area on the shore. It is not wilderness, but quieter, closer to nature, and you may see bighorn sheep on the drive or at the lake.

Down by the river, near the Banff Park Lodge, is a canoe rental place called "One Blue Canoe". If you go upstream in a canoe from there, you get into some shallow lake area (Vermilion Lakes) and it is VERY pleasant.

Banff has many restaurants. Two of the favorites of the locals are "Coyotes" and "Bumpers". Expect to pay a LOT for food. There's a grocery store by the Town Hall that had very good "take out" food, reasonably priced, but I've not eaten there recently. "Evelyn's" is a local coffee shop (3 locations) that also have good prices and good food.

Banff Ave is where all the shopping/souvenirs are. 'Nuff said :)

Will update if I get any other ideas.

I love the old Canadian Pacific Hotels. Western Canada grew up on the railway & those hotels came with it. They are full of old fashioned grandeur, style & history. The Banff Springs is one of the finest & is a must for anyone interested in the history of the area. The Chateau Lake Louise & Jasper Park Lodge are two others. My great favourite is the Empress Hotel in Victoria, which shares that corner of my heart inhabited by old ships & classic liners like the old Queen Mary.

NefertariMalta: The place in question in the films, was a large prison like building. It was old, dilapidated & very imposing. I just wondered what it was.

Graham.

Jasper Park Lodge

My husband's parents took us there for a treat for a weekend -- I felt like I had stepped into post-WW 1 elegance and civility. It was fabulous! We half-expected F. Scott and Zelda to stroll by.

I wish there was some sort of affordable way to enjoy Chateau Lake Louise, Banff Springs, JPL, Palliser, Hotel Mac -- so people could actually GET a sense of the history/work/scoundrels/explorers and daredevils involved with them :) Maybe a "history buff special rate" or something -- 50% off if you take the historical tour or something :)

If you seek out the special 'off season' deals, it is possible. Business related activities are also a help. I have been told that if you become a member of their 'frequent flier' club, there are other good deals for which you become eligible.

They also tend to have great buffets. We used to love the one at JPL when we lived up that way.

Graham.

Thanks very much Cowprincess for all the usefull information!!! :) after much deliberation we decided to book one night in Banff at the Irwin's Mountain Inn and then move for another night at lake louise and the inn! We will make sure to go and take a drink at Banff springs hotel :D :D ahh i cannot wait!!

I love the old Canadian Pacific Hotels. Western Canada grew up on the railway & those hotels came with it. They are full of old fashioned grandeur, style & history. The Banff Springs is one of the finest & is a must for anyone interested in the history of the area. The Chateau Lake Louise & Jasper Park Lodge are two others. My great favourite is the Empress Hotel in Victoria, which shares that corner of my heart inhabited by old ships & classic liners like the old Queen Mary.

NefertariMalta: The place in question in the films, was a large prison like building. It was old, dilapidated & very imposing. I just wondered what it was.

Graham.

The films were filmed in various location around Malta. The structure you are talking about maybe Fort Saint Angelo since it is quite impossing and films were filmed over there! Another place might be some place in the city in Mdina which has quite a number of nice dungeons!

I'd say anytime between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. for most restaurants. Most try to close by 10 or 11 pm. Fast food? Around here it really depends if they can get workers or not. Some of the "24 hour" places have signs on the doors on different nights saying "Closed" by 6 p.m. because they don't have workers for the shift.

I'd say anytime between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. for most restaurants. Most try to close by 10 or 11 pm. Fast food? Around here it really depends if they can get workers or not. Some of the "24 hour" places have signs on the doors on different nights saying "Closed" by 6 p.m. because they don't have workers for the shift.

Thanks very much for the information! My friend said so as well. Then better be careful cause we will risk sleeping on an empty stomach! :eek:

Didn't there used to be a big powerboat "race of doom" that started in Grande Cache every year?

Grande Cache is the gateway to the Wilmore Wilderness Park (north of the Jasper National Park) & is in quite remote country. The river up into the park was popular with 'jet boaters' due to it's impressive gorges. They may well have had a race but I cannot remember.

Yes, they had coal mines, forestry & a big jail up there (not why I was there;) ).

NefertariMalta - Canadians tend to eat quite early & places often close early, so keep that in mind. Also petrol (gas) stations in smaller places often close early too. So fuel up & eat up early to be safe!:)

Graham.

NefertariMalta - Canadians tend to eat quite early & places often close early, so keep that in mind. Also petrol (gas) stations in smaller places often close early too. So fuel up & eat up early to be safe!:)

Graham.

Thanks i will make sure of that since here in Malta we tend to eat 'late' and personally speaking i always tend to take petrol at the last minute from a self service station!

Grande Cache is the gateway to the Wilmore Wilderness Park (north of the Jasper National Park) & is in quite remote country. The river up into the park was popular with 'jet boaters' due to it's impressive gorges. They may well have had a race but I cannot remember.

Yes, they had coal mines, forestry & a big jail up there (not why I was there;) ).

Graham.

I tend to disagree with Graham. Banff is a major resort up here and most gas stations are open until midnight or 24 hours. Dining in Banff can be glorious and if you like fondue, you must eat at Grizzy House. The restaurants are typically open until midnight.

There isn't a heck of a lot of fast food in Banff area. Maybe a McDonalds. Best to stop at grocery store for snack type food for munchies if you're worried.

I had a good giggle over us eating early. I was raised in a family that ate at 7pm nightly. Every family is different. Some of us eat early (5:30), some eat late (8 pm). LOL. :)

Spend time at the Columbia Icefileds if going up to Jasper. They are spectacular.

I tend to disagree with Graham. Banff is a major resort up here and most gas stations are open until midnight or 24 hours.

calgary-cruiser: I don't doubt this about Banff, for one moment. My point was that smaller communities can be different. You can be caught out when you leave the bigger centres & expect the closing times to be the same in smaller places. I have been caught out by this myself & I am trying to help others to avoid my mistakes.

OK, so I grew up on a farm in Scotland where we ate at 5pm!:D I am not saying that all Canadians eat early (I don't & I am a Canadian too!:p ), but that the majority tend to eat earlier here than they do in Europe (& I think this is true) & that restaurents often close earlier, especially in smaller places. Tourist towns like Banff & big cities are often different. Again, I am just trying to help tourists to avoid being caught out as I have been.:)

Graham.

Archived