Shore dives in Grand Cayman, Cozumel

We are doing a shore excursion to Boatswains in Grand Cayman, and Chankanaab in Cozumel.

My wife does not dive so I don't want to do the 5 hour two tank dives. Can you do shore dives from these places? My thought is that I would only be gone for about hour and that would give her enough time to do something she wanted to do.

You can to a shore dive at Chankanaab. There are several on-site dive operators there. Marine park rules requite you dive with a guide there.

I don't know about Boatswains, but I do know that there are several nice shore dives in GCM.

You can to a shore dive at Chankanaab. There are several on-site dive operators there. Marine park rules requite you dive with a guide there.

I don't know about Boatswains, but I do know that there are several nice shore dives in GCM.

Thanks Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

My husband will be doing his first dives following certification in GC and Cozumel. We've booked Allison in Coz and were thinking about shore dives with Eden Rock in GC. Has anyone done this and have any thoughts? I read the reviews on cruiserblog but was wondering about someone going alone. Is there a place where I can snorkel/sit on the beach while he dives?

There's not a beach at Eden Rock, just rocks, but snorkeling is certainly an option. There's a patio at the dive shop. There's a small beach/bar and I think another dive operation between the cruise pier and Eden Rock Dive Center. Sunset House may have a beach, but not sure.

There's not a beach at Eden Rock, just rocks, but snorkeling is certainly an option. There's a patio at the dive shop. There's a small beach/bar and I think another dive operation between the cruise pier and Eden Rock Dive Center. Sunset House may have a beach, but not sure.

Eden Rock at GCM is good for both snorkeling and diving. It's 5-10 leisurely walk south of the cruise terminal. If not diving/snorkeling, there is a restaurant where you can get a sip and watch. The dive op also by the name Eden Rock has gear rental, boat, and guides. But they were closed the day I was there in late Aug./06.

At that restaurant is Abanks - a scuba stand/shed where they rent gears (tanks, BC, etc.) I forgot the price now but it was reasonable. They won't rent to me alone, I needed a buddy. So I waited there until someone shows up and also wanted to dive. Turned out he was an instructor and we had a nice long shallow dive at Eden Rock.

Eden Rock at GCM is good for both snorkeling and diving. It's 5-10 leisurely walk south of the cruise terminal. If not diving/snorkeling, there is a restaurant where you can get a sip and watch. The dive op also by the name Eden Rock has gear rental, boat, and guides. But they were closed the day I was there in late Aug./06.

At that restaurant is Abanks - a scuba stand/shed where they rent gears (tanks, BC, etc.) I forgot the price now but it was reasonable. They won't rent to me alone, I needed a buddy. So I waited there until someone shows up and also wanted to dive. Turned out he was an instructor and we had a nice long shallow dive at Eden Rock.

Hi,

Sunset house it just a bit farther down the road from Eden Rock. They have a dive center on site that rents as well. And like above, you need a buddy to rent (they do offer the services of a dive guide for a fee if you schedule with them in advance). The big difference is Sunset House has their "My Bar" bar next to the water. Rated as one of the nicest bars in GC, might be a good place for you to relax while he dives. There really isn't a beach at Sunset House as this is the "iron shore" on the island which translates to large rocks. :) While this has provided excellent diving, it makes beach going a bit rough, literally.

Also you could shop in George town while he dives, my wife makes a killing each time I go diving in GC. It's very safe and tons of people around so you could set a time and meet him somewhere (we usually use the hard rock cafe since it's very noticable and has great air conditioning to cool down).

Randall

Hi,

Also you could shop in George town while he dives, my wife makes a killing each time I go diving in GC. It's very safe and tons of people around so you could set a time and meet him somewhere (we usually use the hard rock cafe since it's very noticable and has great air conditioning to cool down).

Randall

This sounds like a good plan. I'll probably stay onboard for a while and get a massage, then rendezvous with him at the HRC. How long would a 2 tank shore dive take, do you think?

This sounds like a good plan. I'll probably stay onboard for a while and get a massage, then rendezvous with him at the HRC. How long would a 2 tank shore dive take, do you think?

If he's a beginner, probably 3 1/2 - 4 hours.

Randall

Sounds good. He's booked for a 9:00 AM dive, so we'll be able to meet up around 12:30.

He's really excited about it- we're going regulator shopping this weekend. Any preferences?

Sounds good. He's booked for a 9:00 AM dive, so we'll be able to meet up around 12:30.

He's really excited about it- we're going regulator shopping this weekend. Any preferences?

Hi,

The regulator really depends. I have a sherwood blizzard because I do dry suit diving in 36 degree water and they seem to hold up well to freezing (I know, I'm nuts). The funny thing was my instructor told me that there were some guys from NJ up to do some ice diving and their MUCH more expensive regulators all failed due to the cold water and he had to outfit them with blizzards. But he also said theirs "breath better" which means it takes a lot less effort to breath underwater with them. So you have to look at several things:

1) what brands are supported locally so you can ensure they can be serviced annually

2) what conditions will your husband dive; cold water, warm water, salt, fresh, deep, shallow, etc. and look for brands with good reputations in the conditions he'll be diving

3) what consoles they have (do you need an integrated computer or at least can the console be upgraded to one? Is it readable for him? What features functions you need).

4) what do other local divers use? Might be a good give away on what works best in your area.

5) what do the scuba diving magazines like?

6) How much does it cost? May negate 1-5 above. :)

Randall

Archived