Internet Phone Useage on Freedom etc

Does anyone have *direct* experience with using an Internet phone connected to your PC for voice calls???

We have a bit of work to do Monday, and need phone connectivity...

In this instance I use SKYPE - but there are many other low bandwidth services...

Does anyone have *direct* experience with using an Internet phone connected to your PC for voice calls???

We have a bit of work to do Monday, and need phone connectivity...

In this instance I use SKYPE - but there are many other low bandwidth services...

I thought about this as well, but the WiFi prices are onboard are pretty high. Will that be an advantage over using other phone services?

Also if you do use Skype (and forgive me if you know this) make sure you turn off supernode capability, as peer-to-peer apps have no idea that you are on a cruise ship!

Very good idea - now - what port do you move from/to ???

Very good point. I believe SKYPE uses ports 80 and 443, but that can be changed from its options - not sure what to change it to though...

In there any techy out there with knowledge of a port that should be open??? port 80 is HTTP so it must be open, but port 443 is 143/tcp Internet Message Access Protocol imap - this is very likely blocked... ??????????

Very good point. I believe SKYPE uses ports 80 and 443, but that can be changed from its options - not sure what to change it to though...

In there any techy out there with knowledge of a port that should be open??? port 80 is HTTP so it must be open, but port 443 is 143/tcp Internet Message Access Protocol imap - this is very likely blocked... ??????????

Q: There are some connection settings in Skype. Should I change them ?

Skype can use ports other than the default so that it has a "work anywhere" configuration. To set the ports to ...do the following:

• From the "File" menu select "Options"
  • Select the "Connection" tab
  • Change the port to 443
  • Select the box for "Use port 80 as an alternative for incoming connections"

This will set Skype to use two well known ports, 80 HTTP and 443 HTTPS which are open in virtually all environments.

http://skypetips.internetvisitation.org/web_pages/faq.html

Q: There are some connection settings in Skype. Should I change them ?

Skype can use ports other than the default so that it has a "work anywhere" configuration. To set the ports to ...do the following:

• From the "File" menu select "Options"
  • Select the "Connection" tab
  • Change the port to 443
  • Select the box for "Use port 80 as an alternative for incoming connections"

This will set Skype to use two well known ports, 80 HTTP and 443 HTTPS which are open in virtually all environments.

http://skypetips.internetvisitation.org/web_pages/faq.html

Thanks!!!

Thanks!!!

you're very welcome --

but I would also recommend you ensure that you're saving money by using Skype -- I feel that you won't be, and certainly not enough to warrant the possible latency issues you may have, which won't be good for work

And don't forget to turn off supernode mode

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had any success in using skype from an RCCI WiFi connection yet? Plenty of people have made suggestions but no-one seems to have actually got it to work.

I'm travelling on the Independence of the Seas next week and may give it a go.

It won't be cheap but compared to the alternatives: $7.95 per minute to dial out from the ship's phones or $3.50 per minute charged by my mobile phone operator $0.55 doesn't look to bad, particularly if I keep the calls short.

It's just a pity that they charge for WiFi access by the minute, rather than by actual data used. I'm sure I'll spend most of my time (and money) waiting rather than surfing.

Archived