Same day arrival advice to Miami

wendolyng

Hi,

Columbus OH is all sad because Skybus, our $10 airline went out of business abruptly last night leaving many of us holding the bag. It was nice while it lasted...

Anyway...now I am scrambling to find a new flight that isn't too expensive. Would you be concerned about a same day flight that arrived at FLL at 9:45 AM? I need to get to the port of Miami and will likely take a shuttle. I am usually SOOOOOOOOOOOOO early for things, but I think this will work. What do you think?

Hi,

Columbus OH is all sad because Skybus, our $10 airline went out of business abruptly last night leaving many of us holding the bag. It was nice while it lasted...

Anyway...now I am scrambling to find a new flight that isn't too expensive. Would you be concerned about a same day flight that arrived at FLL at 9:45 AM? I need to get to the port of Miami and will likely take a shuttle. I am usually SOOOOOOOOOOOOO early for things, but I think this will work. What do you think?

Welcome to CC!

As long as you aren't flying during the winter, I wouldn't worry about that flight. It IS so much nicer to get to Fla the day before just to relax. But if you can't, you're getting there at the right time. You'll be having lunch on your ship and won't need to wait to board. Have a great time.

Just returned from a cruise out of Miami.....flight to FLL with one night precuise in a hotel. If at all possible get a hotel precruise when ever and where ever you cruise. I was scheduled to fly into FLL on a non stop from MEM leaving at 9:25 AM, and arriving at FLL at 12:37. There were MANY VERY anxious cruisers on our flight who thought they had allowed ample time to arrive for a same day cruise from Fort Lauderdale and Miami......Our flight was delayed by 4 hours(weather related) and finally arrived at FLL at 4:30 PM. Hopefully, all the cruisers made it to their ships.....some were on Jewel Transatlantic, other on Freedom out of Miami, others on Princess and Carnival.......same day. The cruise lines told some that the Homeland Security would NOT allow anyone into the port after 4 PM.....ship was to leave at 5. Fortunately, one traveler was a TA, and had a special phone #, and spoke to a supervisor, who contacted someone else who spoke directly to the captain of the ship. He said he would contact Homeland Security officials and try everything he could to allow them into the port. There were many agents from four or five different cruise lines scrambling at FLL when we went for luggage. Hopefully, everyone got to cruise, but I don't know. My cousins had a flight scheduled for Chattanooga to FLL.......11:15AM to 1:15 PM......they waited at CHA airport four or five hours, and being told their flight would eventually go. They decided to drive to Atlanta for a better chance at a flight that day. They were out more money and time for gas, another flight, and parking at the Atlanta airport, and finally arrived in our hotel in Miami to join me at 11:45 PM. They saw others on the cruise who had been waiting with them at Chattanooga airport. The flight finally left CHA at 1 AM the following day, and they arrived at their hotels after 4 AM. Others who were scheduled for a cruise same day were totally out of luck. If you have the time..........pay a little more for a hotel for the night before your cruise. If the flights are not delayed, begin enjoying your vacation early......if the flights are delayed hopefully, you'll still arrive in time for your cruise.

I took Goshuttle and was in a town car with three males to Miami for $18 pp. My couisns took Goshuttle for same price, and ended up in a full size van with 6 or 8 others and took an hour an a half to get to the hotel...after taking all the other passengers to their homes in a lot of weird neghborhoods and apartment complexes.(bumping up and down over all the speed bumps!) I would pay the $64 and have a town car of my own if I ever go again and need a ride. Cost for shared ride from FLL to Miami is $18 pp, and cost for 1 to 4 passengers is $64 total per car.

Archived