Disney Magic vs Liberty/Freedom of the Seas

OurFamily

Disney Magic vs Freedom/Liberty of the Seas  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Disney Magic vs Freedom/Liberty of the Seas

• Disney Magic
    • Liberty/Freedom of the Seas

I have a Disney Cruise scheduled for the week of November 29th 2008. I just returned from staying at POFQ for a week and was very upset with the accomodations for what I paid. My concern is I am paying almost $5000 for a family of 4 (4 and 3 year old kids) in a balcony room but have never cruised Disney before. I have cruised RCCL, NCL, and Celebrity before and always enjoyed it. For the price I am spending on the DIS cruise I can book a suite on one of the newest RCCL ships with similar islands. (Excluding Castaway Cay) I am just hoping some people can compare the newest Freedom series ships with the DIS Magic.

In my opinion, with kids as young as yours I would stick with Disney. There's a small window of time where the characters have a special "magic" in your child's mind and heart. Disney fulfills that magic with their ships. They have a great kids program, with many excursions tailored to families with young children. My kids are now in 7th and 4th grades, and although they loved their cruise on the Disney ships, they feel like there are more activities for them on the larger RCCL ships. Rock climbing, ice skating, Johnny Rockets, and many other highlights of the Liberty/Freedom ships are my kids' favorites.

Even though the Disney ships are more expensive than deals found on larger ships Disney doesn't fail to deliver a fantastic, wonderful journey for your family. Either way you choose to go you're going to have a great vacation that will deliver many great memories for your family.

I think it truly depends on what your family wants out of the cruise. My DH and I have only cruise RCI. However, I love Disney and wanted to experience Disney at Sea. We always have magical trips to Disney World. I've never had that feeling of sheer excitement on a Disney cruise. I am anxiously awaiting our Sept. 09 cruise. I am anticipating that it will be worth it! We have always felt nickeled and dimed on RCI. Having to pay extra for ice cream, burgers, lattes, etc.

RCI offers a ton of activities and amenitites. However, they are not available all day. With the larger ships you have a much larger crowd and longer lines for everything. It took three attempts at ice skating to finally get in on a session that wasn't at capacity. We were also tired of the kids in the adults-only areas. This was no enforced on any of our cruises.

My family is also going on The MAgic on Nov 29th. It will be our first time with DIsney also.

We just got off of a RCCL ship this past Dec. All I have to say is how can you not have a great time on any cruise. We also booked on board to do one of the Freedom class ships ( hoping for the Liberty) but decided to hold that off till next year since I saw a good price on Disney that week. I cant wait to see what if any difference there is going to be.

We did FOS over February break and are doing Magic next week. We've done the Magic two times before. Both have different things to offer but we love the size of the FOS and number of activities that it offers. But we are Disney lovers as well and thoroughly enjoy a week on a Disney Cruise. Castaway Cay is better in our opinion than any of the RCI private locations.

Both have a lot to offer but with young children, Disney is something special (but expensive). our kids are teenagers now and if it were up to them alone, i think they would pick the big RCI ships like FOS.

HBC

Well I just wanted to thank everyone for your feedback. We decided to cancel the Disney Magic cruise today and booked a Grand Suite on Legend of the Seas ($400 on board credit was included!!) for the same week. The cost was just about the same that I paid for 4 people in a Category 6 on Disney Magic.

Thank you. That's been bothering me all day. :p

You're welcome. That's the one that always gets me too. ;)

Well I just wanted to thank everyone for your feedback. We decided to cancel the Disney Magic cruise today and booked a Grand Suite on Legend of the Seas ($400 on board credit was included!!) for the same week. The cost was just about the same that I paid for 4 people in a Category 6 on Disney Magic.

That sounds like the right choice for your family! Our family made the same sort of choice when deciding on taking the Magic to Mexico for over 5K vs. Alaska for what ended up being less money - sort of (Alaska excursions are EXPENSIVE!). It would have been a more difficult choice with Castaway Cay in the mix!

Disney cruises are special, it's just a matter of deciding how much that specialness is worth to you, as you've already discovered.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I think each cruise is what you make of it and although I haven't been on one of the bigger RCI ships (yet...we have a trip planned next year), I have been on the 4-night Wonder and am leaving for the 7-night Western Magic on 5/3/08. I am a HUGE Disney fan and as a previous poster mentioned, if your kids are into characters or Disney then that in and of itself makes it worth it. lines for character autographs are significantly shorter and manageable then at Magic Kingdom (for example). The service is excellent, the shows are AWESOME (again, assuming you like Disney). We had a balcony stateroom which was huge in comparison to any stateroom I've ever had. We just booked a junior suite on RCI to get the same space (and bathtub) we had on Disney. You have the double bathrooms (sink/bathtub, sink/toilet). Soda is included in the price (versus buying a soda card). The Oceaneer's Club/Lab is great! My kids were asking to go there after we got off the ship. I am not lessening what is on the other ships, because I, like you debated about paying that price (again) for the 7-night. The reason we're going on RCI in '09 is as you stated. For a holiday week (easter), I just couldn't justify paying that much more. I just hope the kids (who will both be six) can have as much fun as they do on Disney...we shall see!

Dawn McG

Archived