Killing Time in LA on Disembarkation Day

Jessinak

My family (myself, husband, 3 small kids (6,4,2) and nanny) will disembark the NCL Star (San Pedro, CA) on April 24. Our flight out of LAX is at 3:55pm. We are considering the NCL "BAGS" program so we won't have luggage to carry around, but need to kill several hours doing something kid friendly before heading to the airport.

Any ideas?

Kind of depends on how much you want to spend in money. I grew up around Los Angeles. When we hosted exchange students from Poland and Russia in LA they wanted to see the theater with the famous people's foot prints and the stars on the walk of fame. All in the same location.

For the time you have I would take a cab for that. It is fun. Your children are young but you can catch some great pictures doing the tourist thing. Also they can walk around and burn off energy for the flight.

We always took our students the last day before leaving. They found it a big deal. Just like when when we would take them to Disneyland. Our students live with us for a year so you have to be a parent.

You could go down to Long Beach and visit the Aquarium. There are also lots of restaurants and shops right in the same area. Long Beach is a little south of San Pedro so it's the opposite direction from the airport.

Another fun (and free) thing to do is walk along the Venice Beach boardwalk. It's a few miles north of LAX - lots of tourist shops, street performers, people selling crafts, etc. Just north of Venice is Santa Monica. You can walk along the 3rd Street Promenade (shopping, street performers, restaurants) or you can go to the Santa Monica Pier for carnival games and rides.

Going out to Hollywood to see the walk of fame is fun, but it's pretty far from San Pedro and would be a very expensive cab ride. Plus, it would take awhile to get there and back to the airport, so you'd lose a bunch of time.

Have fun!

Archived