AA using Courtyard

We are booked on our first NCL cruise and are in an AA owners suite on the Pearl and I see that we are allowed to use the courtyard pool and dining, etc. Has anyone done this? How difficult is this due to our cabin being on deck 9 vs. the Courtyard on 14? Are there just enough facilities in the private courtyard for those cabins on 14? It almost looks like each suite on 14 has its own area in the courtyard. Hopefully they make the other suiteholders welcome there? Looking forward to being pampered. thanks

We are booked on our first NCL cruise and are in an AA owners suite on the Pearl and I see that we are allowed to use the courtyard pool and dining, etc. Has anyone done this? How difficult is this due to our cabin being on deck 9 vs. the Courtyard on 14? Are there just enough facilities in the private courtyard for those cabins on 14? It almost looks like each suite on 14 has its own area in the courtyard. Hopefully they make the other suiteholders welcome there? Looking forward to being pampered. thanks

Your key will allow access to deck 14. There will be plenty of room for you in the CourtYard.

It is a long walk from both deck 9 and 10 AA's. It is worth the walk if there are no pool loungers available at the main pool.

We prefer the forward facing AA's to the courtyard villa cabins.

Enjoy your cruise.

We were on the Gem presidents week the CY was never crowded.

You are going to love it! Dont forget you can order breakfast and lunch from the butler up at the CY.

Have a great Cruise!

We were in an AA on the Pearl during Spring Break. The courtyard was often crowded with children during sea days, but we would go before dinner (6pm or so) and have the whole place to ourselves. I would think that during school time, the courtyard would be very quiet. Can't tell you about the sun loungers as we never used them (I cannot be in the sun) but the upper sun deck looked very large. Hubby would just use the loungers on our front balcony during the day to read, sunbathe and relax. It was a long walk to the elevators to the courtyard, but we would just throw on our robes and go, no problem. Honestly, I didn't find the courtyard facilities as great as they are pumped up to be (unless you have children or wish to use the pool in inclement weather). I much prefer to relax and dine on our own balconies or in the large AA. I think you will very much enjoy it! If you have any specific question about the Deck 9 AAs, please don't hesitate to ask. Carlos (the Pearl concierge) has always been great to us! Have a great cruise!

Robin

Enjoy your owner's suite and all the perks that go with it! I see that you're travelling with your family of 17. Just remember, though, that only those actually booked in the AA suite can use the courtyard, those travelling with you (unless also booked in another AA or Courtyard Villa) are not permitted to accompany you. Also breakfast and lunch in Cagney's is only for those in AE Penthouses and above.

Enjoy your owner's suite and all the perks that go with it! I see that you're travelling with your family of 17. Just remember, though, that only those actually booked in the AA suite can use the courtyard, those travelling with you (unless also booked in another AA or Courtyard Villa) are not permitted to accompany you. Also breakfast and lunch in Cagney's is only for those in AE Penthouses and above.

Our kids are in an adjoining balcony to our AA. Since our kids are 14, 11, 8, I had to book the AA as one adult and one kid and the adjoining balcony (BD) as my wife and other 2 kids. You think it will be a problem accessing the CY and other Concierge svcs for my wife and other kids even though we are in adjoining AA and BD? Also, my sister and her kids are booked in an A3. Lastly, is the CY covered as this is for Alaska trip. Thanks for your help.

Our kids are in an adjoining balcony to our AA. Since our kids are 14, 11, 8, I had to book the AA as one adult and one kid and the adjoining balcony (BD) as my wife and other 2 kids. You think it will be a problem accessing the CY and other Concierge svcs for my wife and other kids even though we are in adjoining AA and BD? Also, my sister and her kids are booked in an A3. Lastly, is the CY covered as this is for Alaska trip. Thanks for your help.

I don't understand why NCL does this with some families and not with others. We have always booked adjoining rooms, and have always put ourselves in the suite, with the kids in the adjoining - only once were we questioned upon making the res and I told them that the cabins were adjoining and no problem after that. If it's too late to switch the names, I wouldn't think you would have a problem with you and your wife going to the courtyard, but your children are another story. We have never been allowed to bring our kids to the courtyard with us in either the adjoining balcony nor the AC suite. (I think this should be changed - for families wishing to book the AA and AC, as this costs almost twice as much as an A3). You should have no problem getting things like priority tender tkts for all, etc, and the concierge should be able to list the children on the Cagney's breakfast and lunch list. The courtyard was covered when sailing in the Caribbean last week, with just a bit open for ventilation, so I would think it would be closed most of the way in Alaska unless the weather is very warm.

Robin

If this is for Alaska, you will love having access to the Courtyard. To view Glacier Bay from the private sundeck will be marvelous. You will have no problem with any service in the AA and it is worth the "walk" to the elevators for the Courtyard. The elevators are mid ship and your card will activate the panel to go to deck 14. The Courtyard has a retractable dome and can be closed in inclement weather, which makes it nice to use to sit and read. The sundeck is not covered. You can also use Cagenys for breakfast and lunch or have your butler deliver to your AA, or have the Courtyard butler serve you. The concierge will give you no problems, neither will the Butler. Enjoy your cruise. :)

I don't understand why NCL does this with some families and not with others. We have always booked adjoining rooms, and have always put ourselves in the suite, with the kids in the adjoining - only once were we questioned upon making the res and I told them that the cabins were adjoining and no problem after that. If it's too late to switch the names, I wouldn't think you would have a problem with you and your wife going to the courtyard, but your children are another story. We have never been allowed to bring our kids to the courtyard with us in either the adjoining balcony nor the AC suite. (I think this should be changed - for families wishing to book the AA and AC, as this costs almost twice as much as an A3). You should have no problem getting things like priority tender tkts for all, etc, and the concierge should be able to list the children on the Cagney's breakfast and lunch list. The courtyard was covered when sailing in the Caribbean last week, with just a bit open for ventilation, so I would think it would be closed most of the way in Alaska unless the weather is very warm.

Robin

Look at the age of his children, the are children not adults. There will be no problem with his children in the Courtyard area. But if your children are adults with their own family that is another story and they should not be allowed in the Courtyard.

thanks for your reply. by the way, we are in the forward facing AA's also, why do you prefer it?

The extra room in the suite is well worth it. The cabin is between 2-3 size the A3 or AB, and the balconies are great (sometimes the front balcony is windy while sailing). The service is also divine in comparison! Now that I see you have your children in the adjoining BD, I can assure you that this is the BEST setup (well, aside from the Garden Villa) for traveling with kids. You can order large breakfasts to be served in your dining room, all while you or your wife are showering, changing for port. You can all settle in for a movie on an off afternoon. The space is great!

Also, I forgot to mention in the above post re: courtyard: If you are interested in bringing your kids up to the sundeck for viewing, you might have no problem sneaking them up. But you also might find that you prefer to just stay in your bathrobe and watch from your balconies, depending on the side the view is on. You could order snacks from room service, open a bottle of bubbly and enjoy the privacy and comfort. The front balcony alone is big enough to throw a party for all of your other group of 17!

Robin

Look at the age of his children, the are children not adults. There will be no problem with his children in the Courtyard area. But if your children are adults with their own family that is another story and they should not be allowed in the Courtyard.

My children were children on our first AA sailing, and they were not allowed to join us in the courtyard.

Robin

My children were children on our first AA sailing, and they were not allowed to join us in the courtyard.

Robin

And the two times we have cruised in the Courtyard, the children are welcomed, the latest being this last Feb. :rolleyes:

And the two times we have cruised in the Courtyard, the children are welcomed, the latest being this last Feb. :rolleyes:

Thats interesting. On this past sailing (just got back a week ago) we were told NO WAY by Carlos for our daughters, who are actually 18 and 20. When I was with two 17 year olds last year, we were also told "No". We are in fact trying to book another sailing, with an AA, but cannot find a way to gain access to the courtyard for our daughters without booking them in their own A4, A3 or AA. They are traveling alone with us, have no family of their own and are fully supported by us. I hate to give up my AA, but it seems we have no other choice. Would love to know how you got permission :).

Robin

Thats interesting. On this past sailing (just got back a week ago) we were told NO WAY by Carlos for our daughters, who are actually 18 and 20. When I was with two 17 year olds last year, we were also told "No". We are in fact trying to book another sailing, with an AA, but cannot find a way to gain access to the courtyard for our daughters without booking them in their own A4, A3 or AA. They are traveling alone with us, have no family of their own and are fully supported by us. I hate to give up my AA, but it seems we have no other choice. Would love to know how you got permission :).

Robin

It wasn't us but another couple that were cruising with us. They had no problem. Maybe because their children were younger?

The A3 would help with your situtation. The second bedroom is really big enough for the 2 daughters. The sofa bed is a queen and there is a pullman from the wall. We had friends cruise on the Pearl with us in an A3 and they had the second bedroom for 14 days. There are doors that separate the rooms and area. For sleeping and changing and showering, it would be fine. ;)

It wasn't us but another couple that were cruising with us. They had no problem. Maybe because their children were younger?

The A3 would help with your situtation. The second bedroom is really big enough for the 2 daughters. The sofa bed is a queen and there is a pullman from the wall. We had friends cruise on the Pearl with us in an A3 and they had the second bedroom for 14 days. There are doors that separate the rooms and area. For sleeping and changing and showering, it would be fine. ;)

Thank but there is no way they will share that bedroom and that small cabin for the four of us. The fighting that would ensue would probably drive both me and hubby overboard (we have tried that before, its just too tight). We actually don't really like the A3 setup, but love the AA/AC or BB combo. The A3 just doesn't have the space we prefer (we are "cabinbodies" and like to spend a lot of time in the cabin). I have been trying to doublebook them all different ways, but for now we are on hold (waiting to settle all the break dates) and have also started looking at other lines. I just wish there was a way to pay extra for them to enjoy the courtyard with us while still being able to book the AA, but we refuse to buy them their own A4. Oh well.

Robin

Thank but there is no way they will share that bedroom and that small cabin for the four of us. The fighting that would ensue would probably drive both me and hubby overboard (we have tried that before, its just too tight). We actually don't really like the A3 setup, but love the AA/AC or BB combo. The A3 just doesn't have the space we prefer (we are "cabinbodies" and like to spend a lot of time in the cabin). I have been trying to doublebook them all different ways, but for now we are on hold (waiting to settle all the break dates) and have also started looking at other lines. I just wish there was a way to pay extra for them to enjoy the courtyard with us while still being able to book the AA, but we refuse to buy them their own A4. Oh well.

Robin

Whatever you do, enjoy your cruise. :)

our kids went up with my card all the time...no prob recently on the Jewel.

They were always welcome by themselves except at the vip seating during shows...we had to be there w/them. BTway, when you duplicate a AA card for them or whomever it doesn't allow access to the courtyard ..strange.

Archived