Compare Princess to Regent and Windstar?

jmb1101

Hello!

I have been lucky enough to go on both Regent and Windstar cruises. Both were wonderful small ship cruises with beautiful rooms, service and cuisine. Those trips were with my husband. Now we would like to travel with our 6 year old and it seems that Princess might be a good fit.

Can you compare rooms, service and cuisine to the other cruise lines that I mentioned? And, is one ship better than another. We are most interested in the Southern Caribbean itinerary.

Some background about us so you know what we're looking for: we don't mind paying more if it's worth the extra cost. We love fine dining but also really appreciate a well made hamburger or homemade pizza! We also might choose to sit with others but probably would enjoy sitting by ourselves at dinner better. We like a roomy area when traveling so we won't stay in an interior. We also like great friendly service but don't need to be fawned over. Hopefully this helps with the answers.

I am a Princess fan, and think they have some of the best itineraries about, but I don't think you can compare Princess, a mass market line, with either Windstar or Regent, which are usually consider "Premium" or better.

"Apples and oranges" certainly applies here.

Hello!

I have been lucky enough to go on both Regent and Windstar cruises. Both were wonderful small ship cruises with beautiful rooms, service and cuisine. Those trips were with my husband. Now we would like to travel with our 6 year old and it seems that Princess might be a good fit.

Can you compare rooms, service and cuisine to the other cruise lines that I mentioned? And, is one ship better than another. We are most interested in the Southern Caribbean itinerary.

Some background about us so you know what we're looking for: we don't mind paying more if it's worth the extra cost. We love fine dining but also really appreciate a well made hamburger or homemade pizza! We also might choose to sit with others but probably would enjoy sitting by ourselves at dinner better. We like a roomy area when traveling so we won't stay in an interior. We also like great friendly service but don't need to be fawned over. Hopefully this helps with the answers.

We have traveled both Regent (at the time in summer '04 Radisson) and Princess.

Regent is quite a step up in terms of the all-inclusivity and service IMHO. Princess is, for the most part, a mega ship mass market line. Service is on par with what should be expected given that environment, It's OK, but not great.

We have traveled as a couple on Princess and, to be honest, it's not our favorite line. I have never been on any cruise where I haven't had a great time, it's just that Princess is not our favorite.

We have children in the extended family we have taken on cruises, for that RCCL is our hands down choice. So much for them to do. I would only consider Princess for our kids if a particular itinerary was outstanding, and the kids were gung ho to see stops on that particular sailing.

Although Princess is a mass market cruise line, and definitely can't compare to Regent and Windstar, their smaller ships might fit for you. The Pacific, Royal and Tahitian Princesses carry only about 600 passengers each. The service is more personal and the food doesn't have to be made in such a high quantity as the "grand" class mega ships. Also, you can reserve a table at the specialty restaurants for an upgraded meal and service on Princess. I would definitely explore the smaller ships of Princess for your vacation to minimize disappointment.

Archived