Mayan Ruins

MikeJ

Does anyone have advise on which Mayan Ruins to see (largest and grandest) and from which port (Belize, Cozumel, etc)? Also, can people still climb the ruins or are they off limits.

Thanks

I had been to Belize on a cruise ship Carnival,I had book through the internet with Margaret for Altun Ha,She pick me up at the dock,Margaret took me and my family to Altun Ha and give us a city tour also,So I can tell you about Belize,We climb all the way on top of the tallest one,from the top you can view the whole site and the rain forest that soround it,We had a great time with Margaret she stay with us all the way and took care of us,She have a lot of experience of Belize,and very knoledgable,The cruise ship doesn't give you a lot of time,Only like 7 hrs,If you are on vacation you can choose wich Maya site to go,for the Maya Ruins I would highly recomend Margaret she can give you more information,contact e-mail-mdstourstravel1@yahoo.com

She have a web site too ---*****.

We've done the ruins at Tulum (Cozumel) and also Lamanai (Belize).

The excursion to Tulum is especially nice if you combine it with the Xel-Ha lagoon stop, where you can swim or snorkel. The setting of Tulum overlooking the Caribbean is breathtaking. However, it is out in the open, with virtually no shade, so it can get extremely hot.

The combination of the drive, river ride and tour of the ruins at Lamanai was good. The pyramid is pretty high, and there are a couple of ropes to assist climbers in getting up (or down!). Lamanai is in a jungle environment, and there are howler monkeys in the trees. They make a noise that reminded me of something from Jurassic Park. The guide took us to several different sites within Lamanai, where we saw a partially excavated area, the pyramid and several other areas of note.

We booked our Lamanai excursion thru belizecruiseexcursions.com, and had a great time.

Becki

Sorry I read state dept report on Belize...............want to do Tale of Two cities tour................abit nervous now...........Is it safe??? You all seem so positive and make me feel better............your input appreciated before I cancel tour have till the 5th,to do so.............thank you in advance

From Progresso you can take a trip to Chi Chen Itza. (SP?) THese ruins are amazing but it is a long trip as are many of the others. Research each site and see which seemed to be worth the time to you. Also check out what else you wish to do in the various ports and maybe us process of elimination.

Archived