Help with room choice for 2 cribs

beckyjohns

We will be on the Carnival Destiny with our twins who will be 18 months on the cruise. We will need to fit 2 cribs in our room. I know they won't let us book just any room, since we have 4 people, even though, we don't need 4 beds. Any suggestions for room choice? Will we even be able to fit 2 cribs in a room? Any chance they'll let us have a handicap room that might be layed out differently that might accomodate the 2 cribs?

They might let you book a room for less than 4. On Ncl we booked a suite that is listed as being for 2 max and still had my 6 month old in there. Not sure about your 2 crib problem on carnival. On Ncl the AB level suite fit one crib fine. two would fit but would be tight to move around them.

We will be on the Carnival Destiny with our twins who will be 18 months on the cruise. We will need to fit 2 cribs in our room. I know they won't let us book just any room, since we have 4 people, even though, we don't need 4 beds. Any suggestions for room choice? Will we even be able to fit 2 cribs in a room? Any chance they'll let us have a handicap room that might be layed out differently that might accomodate the 2 cribs?

I hope you have a lovely cruise.

I realise your difficulty with trying to fit two cribs into a cabin, but please don't take a handicap cabin. These rooms are specially modified so that people in wheelchairs can use them. It isn't just a matter of extra space in the cabin. They have extra-wide doorways, to accommodate the wheelchair, and have modified bathrooms.

There are so few of these handicap cabins on each ship that is is often difficult for people who genuinely need these cabins to get one. If you book one for you and your babies, you may be preventing someone in a wheelchair from cruising at all.

This is meant kindly and not to flame you. I do hope you'll understand.

In any Cat. 11 & 12 (suites) you would be able to fit 2 cribs with a bit of room to spare.

There are some Cat. 9 (I think) that are balcony rooms but that have a different layout. I don't think they are any bigger, just a different set up.

I have also heard that lines will remove extra furniture such as end tables, coffee tables, etc. That may be an option in a balcony room (remove the two end tables and coffee table push the bed to the side)

You may get a better response on the Carnival boards. There are some that know all of the cabin layouts.

They might let you book a room for less than 4. On Ncl we booked a suite that is listed as being for 2 max and still had my 6 month old in there. Not sure about your 2 crib problem on carnival. On Ncl the AB level suite fit one crib fine. two would fit but would be tight to move around them.

They didn't make us book a 3 person room on RCL either when we traveled w/ DD 20 mos.

:They didn't make us book a 3 person room on RCL either when we traveled w/ DD 20 mos.:

"Make us" is that part that threw me. Did'nt you have to pay for your DD 20 mos. for this cruise? I doubt your DD sailed free. So if you had to pay for her as the 3rd pax in a cabin, why would'nt you have a triple accommodation? Seems to me that you paid for a triple but got a double. They would not MAKE you book a triple, they would automatically assign you one since you paid for it. Am I missing something?

When we sailed w/my son (who was at his youngest trip 18 months)in the roll away crib (which they left up all day leaving us blessed little room to walk around) we paid 3rd pax fare and were put in a room that had 2 lower beds and 2 berths. Maybe it depends on the ships class/configuration-but it would only seem right that if they charge the same amount for a 20 month pax who is the 3rd in the cabin as they would charge for an older child or even another adult- you SHOULD have been entitiled to a 3 person room.

We took 3 cruised on both RCI and CCL with one crib in the cabin and I can tell you that we have found CCL's cabins usually offer more square foot per comparable "class" of cabin on RCI. (flame retardant suit slipped on here)- That is not a RCI versus CCL thing, it is just an observation.

Call your cruiseline (even if you are booking online or thru a TA) and explain your needs. The customer service folks have lots of helpful info. in their computers and can even tell you the sq footage of each specific cabin.

As another poster stated, do not take a handicapped/accessible room (which you could not do without medical documentation anyway!!!), but let the cruieline know that you would like to be noted for consideration in the event that all the accessible rooms are not booked for your sailing. We were actually given an accessible cabin on the Imagination (CCL) a few years back and when we called the purser to let them know (in the event it was an error and someone else who needed that cabin was in need of it), we were told that we were "upgraded" to it since the ship was at capacity but did not inventory out all of the handicapped rooms. They are often the same size (or not much bigger-at least on the 2 ships where we have seen them) but ARE configured differently w/less "stuff" in the way and do have more open floor space which would be helpful w/2 cribs.(BUT- our shower was huge!!!)

BTW- if you are new to travelling/cruising with babies, I can pass on some info that was passed on to me by great moms from these boards. Be sure to bring long legged/sleeved PJ's for the twins. The a/c control is not the best and it may be drafty where you are forced to place the cribs. We were told to bring a few blanket sleepers for our DS and were so glad we did. The blankets they give you for cribs is just a folded over twin sized cotton weave one which just jumbled up at the bottom. Oh yeah, bring lysol wipes to wipe down the cribs too. (or is it just because I am a germ freak!?!?!?) Be sure to grab an extra box or bowl of cheerios from the breakfast buffet. They come in handy at dinner time or lunch time while waiting for your courses!

Bon Voyage.

:They didn't make us book a 3 person room on RCL either when we traveled w/ DD 20 mos.:

"Make us" is that part that threw me. Did'nt you have to pay for your DD 20 mos. for this cruise? I doubt your DD sailed free. So if you had to pay for her as the 3rd pax in a cabin, why would'nt you have a triple accommodation? Seems to me that you paid for a triple but got a double. They would not MAKE you book a triple, they would automatically assign you one since you paid for it. Am I missing something?

Sorry, wasn't trying to confuse. I said "make us" to mean they didn't limit us on cabin choices. Sure we paid for our 3rd soul onboard. The only thing different between a 2 and 3/4 pax room (in the class we were booking) was the bunk beds that would pull out of the ceiling and take up some head room while put away. Our DD co-slept w/ us, so we didn't even need crib space. So, any old room would do. They didn't *make* us book a 3 pax room = They didn't *limit* our room choice to rooms that could accomodate 3+ pax. The ship was getting pretty full when we booked and since DD was young enough (they didn't define the age limit, but said 20 mos was under it) we could choose any room on the ship.

I kept my comment to the OP brief b/c I couldn't offer much (since we didn't use cribs) except that they don't have to limit their choices to 4 pax capacity rooms. That's all.

Oh, and Amen to the grabbing Cheerio boxes for the rest of the day.

:"Make us" is that part that threw me. Did'nt you have to pay for your DD 20 mos. for this cruise? I doubt your DD sailed free.

On NCL you don't have to pay a 3rd person fee for kids under a certain age (2 I think) you just pay the taxes. I know on RCL and CCL you do have to pay which is why for now we are sailing with NCL.

The AB penthouses on NCL's newer ships have ample space. There are two bedrooms and both cribs will fit in the second bedroom (just barely, but they'll fit). It's a much higher price, but the perks are worth it. We've sailed in an AB on NCL Dawn twice (3rd time this coming June) with our two kids. Very, very spacious. And, big time perks: priority embarkation, concierge and butler service, two bedrooms, two baths (with bathtub!!!), huge living/dining area, and very nice balcony. We have been treated like royalty both times. Loved it!!!!

Archived