St. John-Cinnamon Bay

cruiseluver77

I have been doing a lot of reading on St. Thomas and St. John trying to decide what to do when we are in port next week. I can't decide if it is worth all the trouble to go to St. John's or not? Last year in St. Thomas we shopped till we dropped and then went to Saphire Beach and Meagan's Bay. We really aren't shopping for anything this trip so thought of going to St. John's because everyone says they have the most beautiful beaches, but it seems complicated.

Am I just being a weenie? Maybe I am just beat down from my twin two year old boys!??!!! This is the first vacation my husband and I have been on alone in 6 years and I want us to have a great time, plus it is our 9 year anniversary. Thanks for any help!!:)

Traveling from the ship to St. John is time-consuming, and there are several steps to it (taxi, ferry, taxi), but oh-so-worth-it!!!! Expect it to take an hour and a half to get from ship to beach. My husband and I went to Trunk Bay, not Cinnamon Bay, and it was the most beautiful, relaxing day of our entire cruise (even with the "commute")

I wouldn't have attempted such a trip when I traveled with my extended family......getting everyone together is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!

And, beware.....it is NOT an inexpensive beach day!

Cinnamon Bay is lovely. :) It belongs to a National Park Service campground so you have amenities there that you don't have at some of the other beaches on St. John, namely a convenience store and a sit-down restaurant.

I have photos from both Cinnamon and Trunk Bays here: http://lrichters.smugmug.com/Travel/162954

Getting to Cinnamon Bay is easy from St. Thomas:

1. Cab to Red Hook (about 30 or so minutes from Havensight depending on traffic).
  2. Ferry ride to Cruz Bay, St. John (about 15-20 minutes).
  3. Cab ride from Cruz Bay to Cinnamon Bay (about 15-20 minutes).

Just reverse the process for the return and allow plenty of time to get back to your ship. MiniMom's time of an hour and a half is a good number to keep in the back of your mind because you do need to allow for "waiting time" (waiting for ferry, waiting for cab, etc.).

It does seem intimidating at first and I remember the first time we went on our own we felt a bit apprehensive until we discovered how easy it was. Just remember, you're in the U.S. and not a foreign country. If you were in New York or Miami, you'd not think twice of going someplace by cab. St. Thomas is no different. ;)

We were just there a week and a half ago, and it was the highlight of our cruise!

If you want to save some $$ and have fun w/ the locals, you can get the local bus to go over to Red Hook, and you can get it back again from Red Hook. ($2 each way pp vs. $10) The taxi ride from Cruz Bay to Cinnamon is $7 pp. There will be taxis waiting when you want to leave the beach. We caught the 3 p.m. ferry back to Red Hook. (Our ship sailed at 5:30) I would suggest that you don't take the 4 p.m. ferry, because you would be cutting it too close.

If you want to take the local bus back to the ship, just follow the locals up to the road and take the bus (looks like the open air taxis) that is going to your left. It takes about 5-10 minutes longer than the taxi, and they drop you off a couple of blocks from the ships.

The trip to Cinnamon is well worth the time and $$.

Have fun!

Archived