Freeport bottom fishing excursion with Carnival

whats my name

• 3 weeks later...
I was about to ask the same questions! We'll be on the Glory in June. Has anyone out there done this excursion?? Thanks!

Ditto... on the Glory in June. Wondering what the story is with the excursion. Have a family member that wants to ocean fish once in his life and trying to find out if this is the place/excursion to do it...

Does Grand Bahama offer good fishing? It sure does, would you get to see this? As a general rule fishing excursions through CCL are not a good deal. Most often just a boat ride with few fish caught. However if you have never fished in the ocean and would be happy to go out on a fishing boat enjoy the ride and maybe catch a few fish you might be happy.

Does Grand Bahama offer good fishing? It sure does, would you get to see this? As a general rule fishing excursions through CCL are not a good deal. Most often just a boat ride with few fish caught. However if you have never fished in the ocean and would be happy to go out on a fishing boat enjoy the ride and maybe catch a few fish you might be happy.

It is noted for it's bone fishing on the flats around the island. Bishops is a bar/eatery that also has a few room for rent and they do bone-fishing trips from there. Deep sea fishing is done and many fishing boats come over from Fla just to fish. I agree that what trip CCL has will not be the "real" thing but should be fun. Don't count on bringing your fish back to the ship... could get stinky! lol

It is noted for it's bone fishing on the flats around the island. Bishops is a bar/eatery that also has a few room for rent and they do bone-fishing trips from there. Deep sea fishing is done and many fishing boats come over from Fla just to fish. I agree that what trip CCL has will not be the "real" thing but should be fun. Don't count on bringing your fish back to the ship... could get stinky! lol

I thought the OP was looking for information about bottom fishing. Yes Grand Bahama island has some wonderful Bonefishing from it`s flats like almost all of the larger islands in the Bahamas.

I have fished the island dozens of times on the West End side. It is a very short run from Palm Beach inlet makes a wonderful long weekend with excellant fishing. You will not find that type of trip thru CCL in Freeport. I just hate to see someone who has never seen real offshore bottom fishing think they will find it through a CCL excursion.

To the OP you are better hiring a boat here in the US or getting a referal from someone you trust to a good local captain. However if the local guy breaks down the CCL ship will sail without you. Is that worth the risk?

Enjoy your cruise and tight lines where ever you fish.

I thought the OP was looking for information about bottom fishing. Yes Grand Bahama island has some wonderful Bonefishing from it`s flats like almost all of the larger islands in the Bahamas.

I have fished the island dozens of times on the West End side. It is a very short run from Palm Beach inlet makes a wonderful long weekend with excellant fishing. You will not find that type of trip thru CCL in Freeport. I just hate to see someone who has never seen real offshore bottom fishing think they will find it through a CCL excursion.

To the OP you are better hiring a boat here in the US or getting a referal from someone you trust to a good local captain. However if the local guy breaks down the CCL ship will sail without you. Is that worth the risk?

Enjoy your cruise and tight lines where ever you fish.

You are quite right that it will be nothing like you do... BUT they just wanted to know if they would have fun and catch fish... calm down and go on a cruise.

You are quite right that it will be nothing like you do... BUT they just wanted to know if they would have fun and catch fish... calm down and go on a cruise.

Calm down, maybe you should take your own advice. I never meant to upset you or anyone. I am very familar with fishing on that island and was just trying to offer some help.

thank you for all who replied! I booked the excursion because I didn't want to take the chance of missing the ship if something unforseen happens. My main concern was if there would be a chance of catching fish and if the boat would be crowded. so, we hope to have fun. never fished in the ocean and like someone else said 'wanted to do it at least once in my lifetime' fun is what we make it and I plan to have some! I will post when we return and let you all know if it was worth the $142 for my DH and myself. thanks again!

thank you for all who replied! I booked the excursion because I didn't want to take the chance of missing the ship if something unforseen happens. My main concern was if there would be a chance of catching fish and if the boat would be crowded. so, we hope to have fun. never fished in the ocean and like someone else said 'wanted to do it at least once in my lifetime' fun is what we make it and I plan to have some! I will post when we return and let you all know if it was worth the $142 for my DH and myself. thanks again!

Have a great trip and don't worry.... your on a cruise!

• 1 month later...

Hi all! posting review as promised. I guess we will never know how the fishing excursion with Carival is. We got up extra early to be sure to be on time for we were to arrive at 8:00am and were to meet on the docks at 8:15 for the excursion. there were about 12-15 other people there waiting as well when the cruise-excursion person came to tell us that the excursion was canceled do to waves being to big. we didn't feel they were that bad but I'm sure they have to do what the insurance requires. the disappointment was pretty bad though. Carnival offered to put us with another excursion or refund money back to sign & sail. the snorkeling group was canceled as well for the same reason. there was a large group for that one. Oh well maybe next time!

Hi all! posting review as promised. I guess we will never know how the fishing excursion with Carival is. We got up extra early to be sure to be on time for we were to arrive at 8:00am and were to meet on the docks at 8:15 for the excursion. there were about 12-15 other people there waiting as well when the cruise-excursion person came to tell us that the excursion was canceled do to waves being to big. we didn't feel they were that bad but I'm sure they have to do what the insurance requires. the disappointment was pretty bad though. Carnival offered to put us with another excursion or refund money back to sign & sail. the snorkeling group was canceled as well for the same reason. there was a large group for that one. Oh well maybe next time!

I'm sorry it turned out that way! I am sure that the captain of the fishing boat would not have canceled unless it was bad... they need the money as much as you wanted to go. If they canceled snorkeling which does not go out as far as you were going to go I am sure you would not have enjoyed the trip anyway. If waves get over 3-5' it is no fun and many will be seasick. Hope you had a great time anyway.... hey you were on vacation!

• 3 weeks later...

My two cents...

Love Carnival, six cruises and counting, but this was without a doubt the worst excursion DH booked through carnival (have never had a single gripe about Carnival, so this isn't a bashing). Left 45 minutes late, Captain didn't have a clue about where to take the guests to give a good chance at any worthwhile catches. I guess there were a couple fish caught, though not very big. Biggest probably was the "included" water. This constituted ice melted at the bottom of a nasty cooler...DH had taken one of those large bottles with him, but it didn't last and he came back to the ship extremely dehydrated. He went down to the excursions desk to inform them of his concerns about the trip, only to be told that his day didn't happen that way.

Long story short, Carnival made up for his experience with a $200 credit on our next cruise (Victory in Oct.). For what you pay through Carnival, might want to look into a private 1/2 day charter. That's what we plan to do when we go in Oct.

Maybe some of you will have better luck on this tour. I hope so, maybe his day was just a fluke.

Good luck,

A

Archived