Webster, League City or Texas City?

NoleWoman

We decided to rent a car for our drive to Galveston, and are going to stay in a hotel in one of these towns... is one area better than another, any town we should definitely avoid? We plan on having dinner in whatever town we stay in, plus make a stop at a Walmart/Target and possibly a liquor store. Thanks.

Definitely Webster or League City. Avoid Texas City-at all costs. It's very high crime. I live in League City, but would encourage a stay in Webster or Houston (Clear Lake Area-which is actually city of Houston). There is lots to do there and also numerous good restaurants, shopping big movie theater, HUGE mall and Space Center Houston. We generally feel that anything south of League City is undesirable. There are some pockets of nice areas, but those are residential and not where you would be spending any time. HTH :)

There is a Walmart on I-45 and El Dorado (exit just before Baybrook Mall). There is also a brand new Walmart in League City at I-45 and Hwy 646. There is a brand new Super Target just across the street from Walmart. If you take the League City main exit I-45 and 518-there is a Spec's Liquors(a BIG Liquor store) on the left side of the freeway. They are open until 9 pm and closed on Sun. Right beside the liquor store is a Kroger. I can make restaurant recommendations if you'll let me know what you're intersted in.

Thanks for the advice Lovesublime! I had seen a Fairfield Inn in Texas City but I will skip that one and stay in one of the other hotels in Webster or League City.

The reason we aren't staying in Galveston is primarily cost, after spending what we are on the cruise & airfare, I'm not looking to spend almost $200/night for a hotel, plus my parents are traveling with us so that's two rooms we'd need. Our plane doesn't land in Houston until 2:30, so by the time we get to where we are going we'll have time to get to a store, eat and then get the kids to bed.

Alathough there is absolutely no problem with the area around the Fairfield Inn in Texas City, I too would recommend the Clear Lake area for the variety of restaurants, many almost-new chain motels, proximity to a large mall plus Wal-Mart and Target, and, if you have the time, access to NASA/JSC or the Kemah Boardwalk www.kemahboardwalk.com.

If you stay in the Clear Lake area, there is also a large Spec's Liquor store on Bay Area Blvd. to the east of I-45 just past El Camino Real and an HEB grocery just across the street fronting to El Camino Real.

This is obviously my home turf (note my log-in) ask if you have more questions.

Thanks for the advice Lovesublime! I had seen a Fairfield Inn in Texas City but I will skip that one and stay in one of the other hotels in Webster or League City.

The reason we aren't staying in Galveston is primarily cost, after spending what we are on the cruise & airfare, I'm not looking to spend almost $200/night for a hotel, plus my parents are traveling with us so that's two rooms we'd need. Our plane doesn't land in Houston until 2:30, so by the time we get to where we are going we'll have time to get to a store, eat and then get the kids to bed.

There is a new Comfort Suites in Webster/Clear lake in a great area .Rates are pretty good too. Indoor pool,and hot breakfast included.Check it out on Tripadvisor.

Just returned from a community theatre in Texas City and was rather surprised to note that there are four very new motels at the I-45 Texas City exit. I saw Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Best Western and Fairfield Inn. They have obviously been there or under construction for several months but I guess I just never looked closely.

There are also several restaurants in close proximity including an Olive Garden, Gringo's Mexican and an oriental buffet The area is adjacent to a mall with a nice Macy's and Dillards and there is, as a poster mentioned earlier, a new Super Target and a Wal-Mart at FM646, just a couple of exits (less than 5 minutes) north.

Archived