Children, balconies, mini suite on Jade

Jon UK

Hi there

We are looking at booking with Jade for a Med cruise this summer. DW is worried about the balcony for a mini suite on Deck 11 - is it a sheer drop to the ocean? We think that they would not build the ship that way of course but just want to check!

Are the balcony rails high enough for a 5 yo not to get up and over?!

Thanks in advance

Hi there

We are looking at booking with Jade for a Med cruise this summer. DW is worried about the balcony for a mini suite on Deck 11 - is it a sheer drop to the ocean? We think that they would not build the ship that way of course but just want to check!

Are the balcony rails high enough for a 5 yo not to get up and over?!

Thanks in advance

Your 5 year old (or an adult for that matter) would not be able to trip and fall off the balcony, so you are safe in that aspect. Could he/she climb up on a chair/table, then pull themselves up and/or jump over? probably, but this would take effort and time. I would not leave them unsupervised out there and inform them of the dangers of trying to climb on the railing.

I don't really think there is anything to worry about, i'm sure you will all have a great time!

The railings of the balconies are quite high, and I wouldn't fear about your child getting over, unless they're REALLY determined. The barrier is made of glass, so there are no rails to slip through or aid in climbing. There is also a child safety lock on the door, well out of reach of a five year old (and too complicated for me to even figure out). Attached is a link to a picture of our daughter standing on the balcony on the Star (I really don't have time to compress and upload the photo). This should give you an idea of what to expect on the Jade, as the Star is forerunner to the Jade.

Hope this helps.

*****/cruise/?p=64

We have been cruising with our kids (since my youngest was 2) in balconies on NCL and we have a rule. They can't go on the balcony unless an adult is with them. This has worked for us as we explained the dangers to them.. Our first cruise we brought the things that would not let the door open when we were sleeping, but then realized they were not even thinking about going out there. They can't fall from there with out a lot of trying. It is a straight shot to the ocean though. I am pretty sure you would be fine. Have fun!

Jon, a mini suite would be great for your family! Just think, if it was a hotel room with a balcony, you wouldn't hesitate (I am guessing!). Lets face it...if it was a hotel room on say the 3rd floor, it's every bit as dangerous for unattended kids as the 11th on a ship. In all our years of being aware of the cruise industry and cruising with our kids (almost 30 years) I have never heard of a child falling off a balcony on a ship. Go, enjoy (it won't be long before you won't want them in your room...the glorious "teen years")! Oh, and I NEVER thought I'd say that about the teens....but it's true!:rolleyes:

We just cruised on the Star in a minisuite with a 4 and 7 year old, and felt comfortable with them on the balcony. We were always there to supervise them, and gave them the standard "do not stand on the furniture or you could fall overboard" lecture. They were just as afraid as we were, and we had no problems. The child-lock is high and stong enough to keep the door securely locked when not in use.

Most mornings we ordered juice and muffins, and let them sit on the balcony chairs and eat breakfast. This gave us a little more room to move around, and let them feel super special. They are still talking about room service breakfast on the balcony as being one of the highlights of the trip.

One fun thing we brought were a few gel window-clings of bugs and flowers, and we let them arrange them on the glass balcony window. It gave them something to do while they were looking out, and we could use them to find our balcony when we went to shore. (You could also bring these for ocean view or even inside rooms, as they stick to any glass surface, including mirrors).

Archived