Tri-continent sojourn on the rotterdam: update

jocelysue

Update on the Rotterdam in Banjul, The Gambia, Saturday, April 12th, 2008-

It is,now almost 10 am and we have just docked in Banjul, The Gambia & waiting to get off the Rotterdam. Am sure that others will report on this trip so will only mention a few things.

First of all, the Meet & Greet:it was fabulous. Never expected so many passengers and so much staff. Manuel, the bartender , had roped up part of the Crow’s Nest and set up coffee, tea, juice cookies & gateaux. We felt really welcomed. Susan Wood, the Cruise Director, showed up , and welcomed us. Then the hotel director, Hans Dernison ,with his lovely wife Trish, future cruise consultant and general overall wonderfully pleasant enabler. It sure was nice to see this couple in such fine fettle. They will be leaving the Rotterdam after it arrives in Rome, take what is I’m sure a well-deserved rest, then they are reassigned to the Amsterdam.

However, the highlight of this Meet & Greet was when the captain himself, or master as he is known, Rik Krombek, surprisingly showed up. He talked about the Rotterdam, about himself, and was willing to answer any and all questions thrown at him.

We were about 70 at our Meet & Greet . It certainly as pleasant being able to put a face to many of the posters on our Roll Call. And they all seemed to be smiling faces at that.

All in all, I’m quite pleased with this cruise. I am a bit disappointed however that the evening showtime for Main Sitting Dining has been moved down to 7 pm. That means that when the meal is finished at 9:30 or 10pm, there is nothing to look for.

Also, for example, tonight the main film is at 8pm which means that those at the main sitting cannot view it. Also the pool party s scheduled to start when many of us are still having dinner.

On other nights, fun games are scheduled for 8:15 and *:30 pm which makes it impossible for us to attend. Perhaps a little more attention on that score should be paid by the powers that be. However, those are minor enough points that can easily be set to rights over time.

Bye for now, and more, sometime during this trip.

Thanks for checking in. You are, I think, the first to do so. It's good to hear this journey is turning out well. I can't wait to hear about some of the ports on your intinerary.

If you think of it and are so inclined, ask the Hotel Manager why show times have been changed.

Archived