Snakes in Belize ?

browneyedpete

Ok has anyone seen or was told to becareful of snakes? I'm so very scared of snakes and I really want to go and explore this place that I hear is so very beautiful.I just keep thinking this place must be filled with them. I know what a wimp but I just can't help it.

. . . as there are snakes in the United States; and as in the United States, it is fairly likely that you will not see ANY of them unless you actively hunt them. As to poisonous snakes, we have many more species in the United States, and generally ours are larger and more deadly. I suspect the odds of seeing a snake are much greater in the southern rain forests of Belize, but as a cruiseship passenger you will not be going in that direction at any time.

You might see a crocodile, especially if you visit Lamanai (="Submerged Crocodile"), or the Belize Zoo; of which Belize has two species: the American crocodile, Crocodylus acutus, which you could also see wild (rarely) in Florida, and the smaller Morelet's crocodile, Crocodylus moreleti. Belize has no alligators, so they sometimes call these crocodiles "alligators." But they are not. There seems to be plenty of food for crocodiles in Belize, so the most the crocodiles are likely to do--if they are not asleep, which is more likely--is hiss at you.

If you tell your guide you would rather not see any snakes in Belize, you will not see any snakes in Belize.

Also there is a succulent or cactus that grows in the trees which I think they call a "snake cactus," as it looks something like a fat green snake; and you might see that, particularly during the boatride to Lamanai: but it is a plant at all times. :D

We were pretty much LOOKING for snakes during two weeks that we spent in Belize in January 2008, and the ONLY ONE that we saw in the wild was a harmless snake that had been run over on the road. We did visit a "snake farm" on the way to Altun Ha, and there we saw many beautiful and mostly harmless snakes of Belize; but the man who had the exhibit had spent many years searching for snakes and knew where to find them. And certainly found them in places where no tourist would be going!

our tour guide, for lamanai...said she NEVER tells if she see one. i have been raised around snakes and know a little of where to look for them...didn't see a thing.

you are so busy looking at the sites and other wildlife, you forget about the crawling things. it's the tour guides job to look out for you and they do a great job.

My Dad grew up in Jacksonville, FL, and became a great catcher of snakes, a hobby he passed on to me; and when I was young I was a sort of very young protege of the great naturalist Frank Barnard Meacham of the North Carolina Museum of Natural History--for a long time I thought I would become a herpetologist. So it has been a long amateur study for me. But in the end I turned to English literature because it pays so much better! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :eek:

The good news in MY position is, if I NEVER find a snake, none are the wiser, and I lose no grant money . . . .

I am GREATLY obliged to Major Tom (who knows everyone and everything in Belize, and who will handle snakes as readily as I will), for taking us to visit the "snake farm" on our trip to Altun Ha. The native snakes are very attractive and really are worth seeing, even if they can't be found! :D

even before i lived in the deserts of calif, my brother and dad had "friendly" varieties around the house. did displays for local fairs.

brother, when in arizona, worked with people from some zoos...finding and milking different varieties of rattlers in the southwest. that's was over 25 years ago, i think they were testing the different vemon.

i am VERY careful in snake areas...

our guide made a joke about about snakes, then looked over at some of us and said "i never tell, even if i do see one". our group was NOT quiet, with the many feet pounding the ground...i am sure any ground snakes went into hiding.

you get so in awe of the mayan building in lamanai, the wonderful jungles...you go into a dream state..you leave the worrying to the guides you paid to protect/guide you.

Driftwood is pretty much on target about the snakes in Belize. I've spent quite a bit of time down there over the past 5 years or so and have seen few snakes except for the Southern rainforest areas where they seem to be more prevalent. As a cruise ship passenger chances are that you won't be in and area where they are.:)

Archived