stingraysailing.com? Anyone use?

MasonsMom

Would like to hear reviews, good or bad, about stingraysailing.com. Are they reputable? Looks like a more private boat vs. Capt Marvins? We are sailing the Conquest in Jan 09 and trying to get everything budgeted and wrapped up now.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I was onboard earlier this year; it was a a very positive experience. It was not overcrowded like some of the similar charters I have been on during previous cruises. The staff was friendly and the boat was very clean.

The stingrays were a lot of fun and the water was beautiful!

My parents are planning on booking the same charter during their cruise this summer based on my experience.

Hope this helps...

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to add another positive review about Capt Chip and stingraysailing.com. We used them last Tuesday, and they were absolutely wonderful! My entire family of 11 had the boat to ourselves and it was perfect....especially as we saw other boats that had them packed in like sardines! When you're deciding who to book, keep in mind that all tours take you to the same stingray bar and reef, so make sure your boat ride there and back is a good one!

Chip....if you're reading this, thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Our experience with Stingray Sailing started with the very prompt and friendly responses I received from Michelle through email. There were not a lot of reviews to be found and I was a little nervous, but she was so quick to respond with whatever information I needed that I was willing to give it a shot. We started out with 6 people that grew to 20 people from our group going on the tour. We ended up having the catamaran all to ourselves which was nice.

We were able to pick our meeting time and decided to meet Chip at the pier between 8 and 8:30 local time. We ended up getting off the boat on one of the first tenders and met Chip at about 7:30. Once our group was all there we walked over to a bus to take to the marina. Chip talked about past hurricanes and pointed out interesting sights along the way. We arrived at the marina and boarded the Far Tortuga in about 15 minutes. It was Columbus Day and as a special treat Chip's wife Michelle had made a cake to resemble one of Columbus' boats. It was yummy.

We rode out to the sandbar and enjoyed the sun peaking in and out and worried a little about the big black clouds a head. We were beaten to the sandbar by a few folks heading out on jetboats. We spotted a few stingrays as we got closer to the sandbar. When we arrived at the sandbar, we dropped anchor and Chip told us what to do and not to do with the stingrays. He dove in and got the food ready. I waited for everyone else to get in because I was a little afraid of them. Finally I got up the nerve and jumped in. I probably shouldn't have jumped right in where they were feeding them because they were all around me and I was a little overwhelmed. Once they spread out a bit I was able to enjoy watching them swim by. That was a pretty cool experience. Because of the approarching storm the water was very choppy and we had to watch for waves. The storm went over while we were in the water and it poured like crazy, that was actually kind of cool too. Then the storm passed and the water calmed and we got back on the boat to ride a very short distance to the reef to do some snorkeling.

We were outfitted with our gear and jumped in the water. We say an eel and a bunch of other colorful fish. We snorkeled for a while and then got back on the boat to sail back in. Chip and his crew (his dad and young man, whose name I didn't get) lifted the sail and started selling beers and we just sat back and relaxed. There was plenty of room. Some relaxed and read up front on the trampoline, some got shade in the middle and some hung out at the back to smoke. At one point on the way back Chip jumped off the front and popped up on the back with a starfish.

We got back to the marina, boarded the bus and headed back to the pier. It was a very relaxing and fun day. Chip and his crew were very friendly and courteous.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Chip, if you are reading this thank you for the wonderful day in your hometown and tell Michelle hello and thank you!

Hopefully, I can post some pictures soon!

• 4 weeks later...

just off the Destiny last week we had booked stingray sailing after reading alot of great reviews( they were all correct ) Chip is an owner operator that treats his guest great. Very clean boat very personal service not like the other boats you see out on the sandbar with 50-75-100 people on them. Chip get in the water and teaches you how to handle and feed the stingray he is very informative and makes it a fun experince.. the sail back in with the sails up and snacking on fresh fruit was the perfect ending to a fun day a true highlight of our vacation was the day spent with chip in Grand Cayman

• 9 months later...

We spent a great morning in Grand Cayman last week with Stingray Sailing. Chip (the owner) and his crew were AWESOME! This was the second port in our 7-day cruise on Carnival Liberty.

Chip met us at the cruise tender pier and took us in an air conditioned bus to his boat. Throughout the short ride he pointed out the sights of Grand Cayman (governor's residence, etc.) After boarding Chip's catamaran, we headed out to the sand bar in relative comfort. When we saw some of the other boats loaded with people packed like sardines, we knew that we had made the correct choice.

Upon reaching the sandbar, Chip and his crew maneuvered into a shallow area inaccessible by the large and crowded "sardine-packed" boats. They tossed a bait bucket into the water and almost instantly attracted a crowd of stingrays. The crew members gave a thorough brief and pointed out some of the anatomical features on a large ray. Within minutes, we were all in the water feeding these gentle creatures.

The snorkeling stop at the reef was beautiful, with several colorful varieties of live coral and many species of fish. As nice as it was, the snorkeling couldn't top the rays (what could?!)

Throughout the day Chip went the extra mile, sharing a fresh fruit plate as well as a home baked cookie-cake to celebrate the honeymoon of one of the couples on the boat. On the motor-sail back to port, Chip swam down to the bottom and brought up starfish and other sea creatures to show his guests.

Overall, this was a great experience and a good value. I highly recommend it.

DSCF0118.jpg.9438fde64084ad20754e4f77edec2c15.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Our day was fantastic!!! The weather and water was GORGEOUS and the trip out on the "Far Tortuga" was so peaceful and comfortable. Their was only 25 of us including Chip and his crew and we were able to sit at the edge with our feet dangling over the side. It took about 20 min.

When we arrived at the site, it took only a few seconds for the lovely rays to come swimming about. They were AWESOME. Their underside was velvety smooth and when they took the bait from your hand it was a little firmer than when a goat feeds from your hand with his lips. When they swim in and around you it is so wondrous and magical. It is quite an honor when you are able to hold one in your arms and have it totally feel so comfortable there, that it just hangs in your arms.

When we did the snorkling part, the reef was beautiful and there were many types of fish of all color and sizes to see. We even were able to see a moray eel!!!! The only regret is that we had to leave.

The whole crew is so knowledgable, friendly and go out of their way to make sure you truly enjoy yourself which was not hard to do. Chip even dived off the front a couple of times on the way back and brought up a starfish and a sea potatoe for us to inspect as he talked about them.

The "Far Tortuga" is a beautiful catamarran with generous space, seating underneath a large canopy and lots of cubby holes to stash your stuff. We saw a few boats that were so filled to capacity that everyone truly looked like the sardines in a can scenario. You are even able to rinse off and as you munch on the complimentary fresh fruit and wash it down with the cold water as you dangle your feet above the crystal clear waters, you realize that their is nothing more perfect except maybe another quick swim with rays!!!!!

Thanks for a fantastic memorable day Chip that I am going to repeat again and again :D:D:D.

We are on the Stingray Sailing tour on 11/30. So I cannot speak to the tour itself, but I can agree whole-heartedly on the email responsiveness of Michelle. She was prompt and very thorough in answering all of my questions. I am very excited and pleased that we chose this tour. And it was based on teh reviews of the CC board.

Thank you CC community,

Kimberly

We were there in May and booked with Chip and his dad. Very nice people to deal with. There were only four of us and no one else had booked with them that day. He still took us out and gave us a land tour before we got on the catamaran. It was an awesome experience and would definately use them again.

If you book in advance make sure you respond to the confirmation email........

I too am working on reserving with Stingray Sailings. The question I have is the time. We arrive at 7 and we need to meet at 9. Is that cutting it too close. You guys all seem to have made it. Will the ship time be Grand Caymen time? Kris

Hi everyone,

We had our tour with them last tuesday September 15. I highly recommend booking with them.

Cozzette, the tender is about 5 mins, and we booked our tour for 8:30. We arrived before, around 8am and had plently of time to get back. We got a great deal and saved about 20$ USD a person booking outside of Carnival. Chip and his mates were fun, exciting and knowledgeable. It was by far one of the most amazing things I've ever done. I will be back to the Cayman Islands and would book Chip and his tour again in a heartbeat!

No one will be disappointed booking with Stingray Sailing!:D:D:D:D

We were on the stingraysailing.com tour last week, with only 12 on the boat. The crew was great, taking photos with our camera’s, helping with snorkel gear and answering all our questions, the boat clean and safe. But most of all there were far more stingrays around us than any other boat on the sandbar. (Chip said he uses a better fish to feed them and they recognize the sound of his boat motor) They do provide water and fruit, free of charge and have beer and soda for a fee. I would take this tour again in a heartbeat.

I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing.

I went ahead and booked this tour for Dec 7th - Michelle was fantastic communicating and the emails contained a nice map and a lot of detailed information.

I am looking forward to meeting Chip and a few sting rays!

A question...how is their snorkel gear?

I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing.

I went ahead and booked this tour for Dec 7th - Michelle was fantastic communicating and the emails contained a nice map and a lot of detailed information.

I am looking forward to meeting Chip and a few sting rays!

A question...how is their snorkel gear?

We had a great time on the Far Tortuga we used our own masks and snorkels but used their fins and vests. I'm just funny about putting foreign snorkels in my mouth. They seemed clean they were in a bucket of disenfectant so I'm sure you'd be just fine using their equipment.

Went to Stingray City earlier this month with stingraysailing.com and they were fantastic. Ample time to meet them once we arrived and had time to walk through shops afterwards. I was not sure about getting in the water with the stingerays. Once we arrived I took pictures and videos of the stingrays and the next thing I knew in the water I went. It was absolutely amazing and want to go again one day. The group is smaller than most of the other excursion boats. They were very informative about the stingrays. I would highly recommend them. Looking forward to going with them again!! Hopefully more sooner than later!!

• 4 weeks later...

I would recommend this easily.

Comfortable boat. nice. NOT worn out. When you see other boats pulling up with standing room only for the 40 minute sailing out there, you will know what I mean.

We enjoyed the trip. They had more fish than we needed to feed the stingrays. For those that wanted help and instruction, they were right there. For those that were the "do it on your own" people, we were happy as clams. bring a towel to sit on, if you don't get a spot on the trampoline, the sides of the boat can be a bit sandpaper-ish, however, with a towel laid out to sit on, it was comfortable, so much some even slept.

Thought we had to walk to a different pier, but they were there holding up a sign when we stepped off the cruise ship.

Quick communication. Answers emails FAST! :)

This is a good one.

You'll like it.

Hi-

For those of you that have tried Stingray Sailings- what time did you get done with your tour? Would you still have time to go to a spot on seven mile beach, like Sea Grape beach? Will they drop you off on seven mile beach? We've been to stingrya city a couple of years ago and want to go back, but still have time on the beach. Thanks!

Hi-

For those of you that have tried Stingray Sailings- what time did you get done with your tour? Would you still have time to go to a spot on seven mile beach, like Sea Grape beach? Will they drop you off on seven mile beach? We've been to stingrya city a couple of years ago and want to go back, but still have time on the beach. Thanks!

I suppose it would depend how long your ship was in port for, but we were back around 1:00 I think. We had plenty of time to wander around downtown before we went back to the ship.

Chip and his father were WONDERFUL. Stingray Sailing was the absolute best part of my entire cruise. They were polite, knowledgeable, and told great stories about the island and the wildlife. There were only 6 of us on board, which made for a super private experience. Would not change a thing about the tour, at ALL! A+++++++++

Archived