Splendour of the Seas

joyus

Can anyone please share their experience on this ship. We are planning a 7 day cruise to the Med and this ship seems to fit the bill, however, I've read reviews such as it needs lots of maintenance to it's a beautiful ship. When I called RCI about the trip to the Med, the rep said, "well, it's an older ship. You may want to take the 7 day on the Brilliance." However, the Brilliance is sold out for its 3 seven day itineries. I'm so concerned about the condition of the ship until I'm thinking of waiting until 2006 to see if any other newer ships will sail that itinerary. This is will be our first cruise with RCI.

Thanks for your feedback.

I sailed last March on the Splendour and thought it was very well maintained. The carpet was new in our cabin and you could not tell signs of wear and tear that I have seen in 4 star hotels. I thought the dining room The King and I could have used a little up-lift, but that would be my only negative comment.

Hope that helps.

I sailed on her in Feb of this year and my house has more wear and tear on it than the ship does. If you pass on this ship because you have to have something brand new you will miss out on a wonderful ship. I was disappointed that she was being moved from Galveston. She and her crew are jewels amoung the RCI fleet. Oh heck now I have gone and done it..... people will now book on her since she isn't the US Minnow and Gilligan isn't lost a sea.:p

Thank you all for your comments and opinions. I spoke to a couple of RCI reps (who, by the way, were extremely helpful and enjoyable to talk to) and they told me Splendour was refurbished in 2001. In any case, I've decided I'll just pray and enjoy the ship regardless!! We've sailed Princess, Holland American & Carnival, this will be our first RCI cruise. We're so excited about this trip, we've even talked 2 other couples, who have never cruised RCI either to join us.

Again, thank you all :-))))

I can't imagine anyone trying to dissuade you from cruising on this beautiful ship. The only thing I spotted that could use a bit of attention was some rust around the edges of the balcony.

I was totally taken by the incredible elegance of the decor throughout and I hope to sail her again someday. I made sure I got one of the professional pictures of the Centrum ... you'll never do justice to it yourself unless you're a photographer by trade.

Have a wonderful time!

Sometimes I wonder if the right hand knows what the left hand is doing in the RCI offices. The Splendour was refurbished right before our Panama Canal cruise in Feb 2004. As we got off of the ship in Galveston they were putting on new dining room chairs. I would sail on this ship in a heart beat. The crew, captain all the way down to our steward were awesome. If you are afraid of something old......then maybe you should sail on one of the Voyager class ships.....I for one don't want to be in a cattle call when I get off of the ship at a port. I can't imagine having to do a tender off one of the larger ships...... unless they have several places to leave the ship from. If you chose the Splendour you will find a class act waiting for you to board.

We were on the Splendour 18-25 September - it's a lovely ship - clean, well maintained, new looking carpets and deck covering. The crew were all friendly and helpful

Don't have any worries, you'll enjoy the ship

Good to hear that this ship has been well taken care of. I really appreciate the folks on these boards. Your experience and willingness to share is unmeasureable. By the way, is alternative dining available on this ship?

Yes, Joyus you have alternative dining..... it would be the Windjammer, your stateroom or the Solarium......sorry couldn't resist:p No those are your alternative dining options.... We had no problem with the food in the main dining room. Actually I think........or per my husband they cook better than I do:rolleyes:

If you have a problem with an entree that is served they will happily serve you something else....I am not real pickey when it comes to something that I don't HAVE to cook, but then again I work hard to enjoy my cruise so I would complain if something was horrible. Our dining and sailing on this ship were wonderful. If these posts don't convince you..... hummmmm I can get my D1 cabin for a cheaper rate since the ship isn't booking up early.

Archived