cruising stockholm to london aug 27

aug27

I think you'll have more luck in finding shipmates on the roll call for your cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=651326

A Berlin Hint: It's a long drive to get into Berlin, and the traffic can be tough. While there is a huge amount to see in Berlin, a person can only take so much.

For a relaxing interlude, why not make lunch reservations (well in advance) Kaefer's Restaurant Dachgarten on top of the Reichstag?

p139294-Berlin-Kfer_Dachgarten.jpg

Considering the lovely atmosphere, and the stupendous views, luncheon was not too expensive (expect to spend from 15 to 30 Euros).

The best part is that if you've reserved a table in the restaurant, you bypass the huge lines to see the Reichstag and the Dome (which is magnificent in itself)!

berlin1.jpg

Have a wonderful & Safe trip!

J&S- we are doing this trip earlier,and am looking forward to Berlin. I am wondering if the train isn't faster than driving? Do you know if you can only take the train if you do the O tour? Thanks for tip on the restaurant, what a perfect highlight for the city!

Might be interested in sharing private guides for ports listed and for other ports, too...i.e. St. Petersburg..and transfers from port to Gatwick at conclusion...

ok, if you think you might be interested, where do we go from here. we are a husband and wife, non smokers, high energy and we're ready. we want a total of 6 people max. by the way, we heard from experienced cruisers that alla tours. in st. pete are excellent.

Seems we're both new to this site...I think we're supposed to be on roll call for this "chat"....not sure what that accomplishes nor how we actually exchange emails off the boards for further planning...I'll try to get info and re-post...

my email is scohen@benco.com. you can contact me there. my husband and i will be on the regatta on aug 27 and are looking to book tours with another couple or two. we are non smokers and very energetic. we've heard that alla tours are great in st petersburg.

we've heard that alla tours are great in st petersburg

Alla Tours ARE the best (although Red October does have their own cheering section). It's a little late to book Alla herself, unfortunately, but don't be dissapointed.

Alla chooses all of her guides personally and they are all WONDERFUL! Perfect English (better than most U.S. citizens), and the drivers really know their way around.

--> We have a soft spot for Guide Julia, if you can't get Alla, ask for her ;) .

Julia's father was a doctor and her mother was a University Teacher, so she grew up on the priviledged side of Communism.....she has wonderful stories.

I am wondering if the train isn't faster than driving? Do you know if you can only take the train if you do the O tour?

Merry-

The train station is a 5 minute walk from the cruise port (which is very small). Anybody can take the train, and it is marginally faster than driving (more than marginally if you hit traffic).

Figure on the train taking between 2.5 to 3 hours each way (the schedule varies, depending on time of day).

When we were there (July of '07), the cost was 22 Euro's, and the cars were divided into compartments for six.

There is a cafeteria style dining car where you can buy drinks and food. This resembles a large lunch counter (there are no seats), and people carry their food back to their compartments.

The dining car is also the smoking section for the train.

Hope this helped-

Archived