St Maarten to Saba hiking trip? Possible in a day?

mikeerdas

Has anyone here done an on-their-own excursion to Saba from St Maarten? From a recent article on CruiseCritic, sounds like it's possible to get to Saba from St Maarten.

I didn't see any excursions via St Maarten on my Mariner of the Seas cruise. Wondering about the specifics--how much it would cost to get to Saba, how feasible it is to do on one's "own" (e.g. outside of official RCI excursions, where they won't hold the boat for you).

This will be during hurricane season (late Sept / early Oct), so I'm a bit concerned about not making it back to the ship on time.

Saba intrigues me because it's the cone of a volcano, goes to 3,000 ft, and has no beaches--so there's only hiking and scuba; keeping the island from being over-developed.

Also interested in Saba as a hiking back-up excursion in case the weather is rough in St Thomas the day I arrive (I'm wanting to take a ferry over to St Johns and hike). My wife won't let me hike on both port days because she doesn't hike (she's a snorkeler). Seems fair to me. :-)

Mike

Aquamania from Pelican Marina does Saba day trips on the fast speed catamaran the edge II to the best of my knowledge. The cost is around $75.00 round trip and I think that they offer a taxi tour and lunch for another $35.00.

Karysa

Archived