what to do when we arrive at ports

2girlsmommy

I am a first time cruiser and traveling with an almost 2 year old and 4 year old. We will be on the Carnival Triumph and traveling to the Western Carribean. I have no clue what to expect when we arrive at the ports (Cozumel, Cayman Island, Ocho Rios). I have not yet booked any excursions because I'm not really sure what excursions are kid friendly. I would appreciate any recommendations or info. What happends when you get off the boat? Thanks!:confused:

Hi! Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Well, pretty much whatever you want can happen in the ports. You can decide to do you own thing, you can pre-arrange a tour with a private guide, or you can plan to take an excursion through the ship.

On our first cruise, DS turned 6 and DD was 2. They are now 9 and 5. We've been to Cozumel twice, Grand Cayman once, and Jamaica not at all.

In general, we avoid ship excursions because we like to do our own thing and remain pretty flexible. I've just never felt carting the kids around on long excursions involving bus rides, etc. was a good idea.

In Cozumel, we like Paradise Beach. It's a good one for little kids. When we've been there the waves were almost non-existent and it stays shallow for awhile, with no dramatic drop-off. We also did the submarine once - the kids really enjoyed it at the time, but it doesn't seem to have made much of a lasting impression, and it was pretty pricey, IMHO.

In Grand Cayman, we did an excursion with Native Way that included snorkeling at a reef, Stingray City, Rum Point and lunch. For the snorkeling, I stayed on the boat with DD and DH and DS snorkeled - they saw a moray eel! At Stingray City, DH held DD. Rum Point is another great beach for kids - and it is (IMHO) absolutely beautiful.

We used to bring a lifevest when DD was younger - it made me feel better for her to wear it on tenders and boat excursions, and at the beach, I felt I could let her play in the shallows, and I didn't have to have her literally within arms reach every single second.

Have you checked out the port of call section here on the boards? Tons of excellent info there. You also might like to look in on your roll call if you haven't already.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and help! :)

We have been to all 3 ports and like the previous poster --- tend to do excursions on our own. We don't have a young child, but do have a special needs son who is now 30 (started cruising when he was 19) but is developmentally about 2 - so has the same patience of a 2 year old as well as the same needs.

In Cozumel -- the ship actually docks at a wharf (or at least it has for the 3 times that we have been there). You walk in along the wharf and then have the option to walk through an enclosed "market" area or you can walk around it. The indoor market area has many different vendors with just about everything you can imagine. They are not pushy with their sales. Once you leave this "market" area --- you will go through another area that kind of seperates the "wharf" area from the taxi stands, etc...

At this point, there will be a number of other vendors off to the left. They are a little bit more pushy --- but lots of little trinkets and more native Mexican offerings.

You will need to take a cab to go into town or to any of the beaches. There is a taxi stand just off of the wharf and there will be someone there that will make sure that you get in a cab.

When we have gone to town -- or to the beach --- we have just told the cab driver what time we wanted them to come pick us up -- and they have come back at the exact time. Otherwise -- there are a lot of cabs in town - so you can always flag one down to get back to the ship. Last time we were there - the cab ride was $5.00 for the 3 of us... We gave the driver $10 just to ensure that he came back for us at the appointed time and he was right there. I'm sure the prices have gone up - we were last there about 7 years ago.

BTW --1st time we went to Cozumel we decided to bring throw blankets back for all of our family and friends. We bought them in Cozumel itself for $6 a piece ---- when we got back to the market area after carrying 10 blankets around all day --- we found that the same blankets were $5 at the Market. We would have been better off getting them at the Market and not having to carry them around. Vanilla and Kahlua were cheaper at the market on the wharf -- then they were in town as well.

Another point about Cozumel -- we have yet to find a cab that has working seat belts. This really bothered our son - as he is trained that the car doesn't move without everyone's seat belt on -- so he became quite upset with the car trips.

Grand Cayman -- we tendered in. The tendering was not a problem. Because our son is special needs --- they tendered all of the people that had early excursions first and when the tender came back -- they allowed us to board the tender before any of the other passengers for that trip. The tender only takes 5-10 minutes to get to the shore and is enclosed.

Once on shore - you are within walking distance of a lot of the town's emenities. Shops, restaurants, etc... It is very flat in town and easy to manouver around. If you are taking an excursion -- either through the ship or on your own == there will be people just as you get off off the tender - to guide you to the correct pick up point.

DH, DS and I did the Stingray City excursion. DH and DS stayed on the boat when we got to Stingray City -- they just watched as I went in and snorkled. The water was about 4 feet deep and there were a lot of stingrays around. DS really watched the stingrays, but would have panicked if he had been in the water and they had brushed up to him (which they do)

If I remember correctly - the bus ride to Stingray City was about 40 minutes -- and then another 20-30 minutes on a smaller boat that held about 30 passengers.

We still had time to wander around town and then we could just get back on any of the tenders to go back to the ship (just make sure you are getting on the right tender -- as there will be tenders waiting for other ships as well - there is someone there to guide you)

Ocho Rios --- in Ocho Rios, DH and DS stayed on the ship (DH is not much of an adventurer). Like Cozumel - you will dock and there is a long wharf area to walk up to the parking area where you can get a cab or will be ushered onto one of the buses.

My mother, father and I went to Shaw Gardens (beautiful even though it was drizzling out) and then on to Dunn's River Falls through one of the tours offered by Carnival. Mom (65) and I (very out of shape) actually climbed the falls and Dad walked back up the stairway that is to the left of the falls. DS would not have been able to do this.

The market at the top of the falls is very overwhelming (to me) the vendors are very pushy. I would have really enjoyed poking through the trinkets had I not felt accosted - but as it was, I just rushed through - not looking at anythiing. You can avoid the "market" by exiting through the entrance.

Sorry about the long winded post --- hope some of the information is helpful.

Tracey

Archived