cavetubing. bz

kamper427

Just returned from the Carnival Triumph on Saturday and used www.cavetubing.bz in Belize for only the cave tubing excursion. We took the first non-Carnival tour tender boat, so we arrived at 8:30am. Didn't have any problems finding Vitalino. The company groups different ships together and groups accomplishing different excursions, ie ziplining/cave tubing with only cave tubing individuals. Not good, as you will have to wait and ships can have different departure times.

The van ride took about 1 1/2 hours each way, so it's not a short trip and the road has large pot holes. When we arrived to the location to receive the equipment, it didn't seem too organized. We started off on the path, but seemed to stop every 5 to 10 minutes and it was not because we were slow walkers. It took about 1 hour for the walk and to get into the river. This is when things get bad. The guide seemed to be always disappearing, instead of keeping us moving down the river. We were always being passed by another group. At the end, the guide said we could break up, not good as this caused more problems.

The group decided to just go back to the ship and not stop from lunch, as we were running out of time. We left at 2:30pm and about 2 miles from cave tubing the van breaks down. Luckly, another company stops and provides a ride to port. We did make it back to the ship and time thanks to them.

Yikes! Glad to hear the other tour brought you back to the ship. They've all said the work together to make sure no one misses the ship.

Sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience. Seems like it depends on who you specifically get to do your tour, which tour guide, not necessarily that the whole operation is a mess.

Bummer, but I'm not surprised. I specifically asked this company when we were researching if we would be put with people doing zip line, etc. They said NO! I finally decided after researching several companies that they will ALL tell you what you want to hear when booking and then they do WHATEVER when you get to the dock. :mad:

A family in our area mentioned Charlie Chan, charliescavetubing.com. They offer the usual $50 cave tubing but we made arrangements with them to pay $70 per person, still cheaper than Carnival, to book a completely private cave tubing excursion for our family of 4. We get our own private vehicle and private guides so we can move quickly. We prefer not to be tied into a group where we have to stop for lunch. I can't wait to see if it works out and will definitely post a review here when we get back. I'm hopeful because although they are a smaller company, they have 100% positive reviews on tripadvisor. Wish me luck!!

Bummer, but I'm not surprised. I specifically asked this company when we were researching if we would be put with people doing zip line, etc. They said NO! I finally decided after researching several companies that they will ALL tell you what you want to hear when booking and then they do WHATEVER when you get to the dock. :mad:

A family in our area mentioned Charlie Chan, charliescavetubing.com. They offer the usual $50 cave tubing but we made arrangements with them to pay $70 per person, still cheaper than Carnival, to book a completely private cave tubing excursion for our family of 4. We get our own private vehicle and private guides so we can move quickly. We prefer not to be tied into a group where we have to stop for lunch. I can't wait to see if it works out and will definitely post a review here when we get back. I'm hopeful because although they are a smaller company, they have 100% positive reviews on tripadvisor. Wish me luck!!

When is your trip? I'm looking forward to your review. I really want to go cave tubing. From what I'm reading, I'm starting to think I may not be physically able to. If we could book a private tour for the 3 of us, I would give it a shot. If I'm not able to continue, I wouldn't be affecting anyone but my family. You've given me hope that I may be able to do this. :) I've always wanted to go cave tubing in Belize.

Hi tarheelmjfan,

We will be back on 4/9. I will try to post back on this thread so if your notification type sent it will hopefully email you. If it works out for us, a private tour would probably be great for you too.

We used this company last year when we cruised on the Carnival Legend. We had to go with people who were ziplining (we were not), but this was actually one of the coolest parts of our trip - we were assigned to a guide who gave us a "mini nature hike" and taught us all about the medicinal and food properties of the plants we saw while the other people in our group went ziplining. We learned a lot about plants, animals and Mayan culture. It was really interesting! We had no delays in our hike to the river. I think it was maybe 30 minutes (i think it was more like 20). We only stopped to check out bats in one cave and something else in another cave.

Then we got on the river, and had two guys with us at all times. It was great. Then we stopped at Vitalino's house (I guess?) for beans and rice and chicken, and that was tasty. We made it back to the ship without any problems.

So, as another poster pointed out, I hope this was just a result of the team you had as guides, and not a reflection of the company as a whole, because we have reservations with them for next week when we'll be back to Belize on the Ryndam! The only thing I find slightly comforting is that we arrive at 8AM and don't leave until 5PM so, even if there is a problem, we should have time to get back to the ship before sailaway. I re-booked with the same company because of the very pleasant experience we had last time. For what it's worth...

Hi tarheelmjfan,

We will be back on 4/9. I will try to post back on this thread so if your notification type sent it will hopefully email you. If it works out for us, a private tour would probably be great for you too.

I'll be looking forward to reading your review. :) Have a great trip!

Sorry that you had a poor experience. I went a couple of years ago using Cave-tubing.com

I booked the ATV Jungle tour as well and when they picked me up they took me directly to do the ATV and we even caught up the main group for the cave tubing. Great day and very good service. :cool:

they picked me up they took me directly to do the ATV and we even caught up the main group for the cave tubing. Great day and very good service. :cool:

I think this is kind of the point/problem! ;) Worked out great for you...you caught up to the main group for the cave tubing AFTER doing a 1 hour ATV excursion...uuhhmmmm what exactly was the "main group" of cave tubers doing for that hour? :o Plus meanwhile, the cave tubing group had to swing by the "home base" to drop the ATV folks off whilst the cruise ship and other cave tube excursions were headed straight to the river.

We used Cavetubing.bz the first week of March and had a wonderful time. We had Fabulouso and Jose as guides and they were by our sides the entire time. We were the one's passing all the slow groups in the river and we didn't have to wait for anyone... Not sure why you would have had to wait for the zip liners... makes no sense to me.

The drive out and back was nowhere near 1-1/2 hours each way and the hike was not long or bad. They even took us on some shortcuts to get around a big group in front of us on the trail.

If your guides were not good you should email Vitalino and let him know. Without feedback he is never going to know. Sorry you had a bad time.

I noticed in some of your pictures that some people just strap on sandals instead of the traditional "water shoe." How did the sandals work out? I have a comfortable pair that I like to wear in when I'm out in my kayak and would much prefer to just use them instead of going out and buying water shoes just for this cave tubing.

Those who used the sandles did just fine. Those of us who had water shoes on already owned them and brought them for the trip... I wouldn't hesitate to use sandles so long as the are the one's that strap fully around your foot.

Love your pics Cruzin Fool! I think I am doing this same cruise on 4-17-11. Leaving from New Orleans and going to Belize, Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel. It's my 1st cruise with my 14 and 16 year old daughters. They want to do the cave tubing and I think I will go with the same company you did. Where were you with all the monkeys? My girls would get a kick out of that. Any other suggestions for excursions would be greatly appreciated.

The monkeys were in Roatan. We did a private tour with Victor Bodden Tours. It was a great time. Yes, that's the same cruise we did. Have a great time!

Those who used the sandles did just fine. Those of us who had water shoes on already owned them and brought them for the trip... I wouldn't hesitate to use sandles so long as the are the one's that strap fully around your foot.

Thanks for the reply. :D That helps me out a lot. Now my wife just needs to get something soon so that she can get them broken in before the trip. :p

Were booked with .bz and are really lookin forward to it. Still haven't decided if we should do the combo tour. Did the people that zipped recently feel that it was safe? Do you go really fast? Is it really high? Were you glad you did both or would you of liked more time in the water during the tubing time?

Cavetubing.bz is the way to go. Un-Belizable! We just used them last week while on the Carnival Glory. One of the highlights of our cruise. Luis and Jose were fantastic. Both are very professional as well as proud of their country. Met right outside the terminal and transported to the tubing site in nice A/C van. Their equipment is first rate. Walk through the rain forest was fun and very informative. Tubing trip was awesome. Long trip but felt safe the whole time with these guys. Lunch after was an added bonus. Back in plenty of time to make the tender back to the ship. You can't go wrong with these guys.

I used .com with Yhony about 18 months ago and had a great time. I felt well cared for and safe the entire time. Transportation was in a nice bus. I'm taking my children on this trip in a few weeks and I feel very comfortable with this decision. We were linked up and had one guide for every 4-5 people so there was no way anyone was going to get away from the group. I can't wait!

Lunch was home cooked and served at the ATV site. They had beer for sale also. Simple light lunch of chicken tamales - good and hot (with heat, not spicy). I'm not sure that there are many restaurants in the area - it seemed pretty remote.

These are the same guys I went with and had an amazing time. As crazy as it may sound the damn bus ride with these guys was the highlight of my entire cruise, these dudes were hilarious. Thanks to Sean, Richard, Jimmy, Tiger, and Aaoma for an amazing time!!!!!

We just came home and we used .bz they were awesome.Thanks to all that helped us decide.We had a great time .By the way free lunch(with seconds if you were hungry) and all the rum punch you can drink .They gave us 3 each for the ride back to the ship:)

We booked the zipline/cave tubing combination with cavetubing.bz and I was very impressed with the company and we had a great time.

We were a little late getting off the ship due to tendering taking a while. We didn't get off until 9:30 AM and we had to be back by 4:15 PM. The trip had an hours drive each way. So it was going to be a bit tight for both activities plus lunch.

We had a group of 18 people and they took us there in a nice air conditioned bus. David, our tour guide, was excellant. He was very informative and told us a lot of neat stuff about the country and the whole way on the bus. Zip lining was a lot of fun. The staff was excellant. Cave tubing was also really neat and the water was very refreshing.

We had a great day and really liked the company we used. We even got to ride with the owner, Vitaly on the way back and he was an extremely nice man.

Glad to hear that you had a good experience with the . bz outfitter!

We are booked with them for our port day later this month. I had originally reserved with . com, but heard so many recent negative reviews that I thought we'd give the bz guys a try with more positive feedback.

Any pointers for first-time tubers??

We were in Belize 3/31 with .com and were very pleased with our excursion. We did only the cave tubing, but there were zip liners and ATV people on our same bus. I'm not sure how the experience was for them. But for us, .com was the best choice.

They made the ATV and Zip people go first for cave tubing, and took them at a quicker pace. For us, we took more time on the walk to the river, which was a very good thing because my elderly mother needed that slower pace! We would stop and talk about the plants, learn about the area. When we were in the river I believe we probably went at a slower pace as well. We also stayed in the river longer, back until the point where you cross at the ropes. We could see where the Carnival excursion people got out, way before we did. So, we had time to play in the river after the cave section, be unconnected from each other, and take some leisure time in the river. This gave the ATV and Zip people time to go do that part of their tour. Then we boarded the bus and met up with them at the ATV site for lunch. We got back to port with about an hour to shop.

Overall I was very pleased. We needed the slower pace. There is NO WAY we would have enjoyed the quick pace of the Carnival groups that passes us. They were walking too fast for us in that jungle heat. Also, they all were carrying their own tubes, whereas .com carried mine, my daughter's and my mothers tubes for us -- all the way up! Awesome! I would book with .com again. Am very pleased with the service and tour.

The only advice I have is that the hike to the river isn't difficult, but if you should wear shoes with thicker soles or harder soles as you walk accross a lot of rocks that were somewhat painful in my thin soft soled water shoes.

Archived