Train to Florence at end of cruise in Civitivecchia

Hey all,

We are traveling to Florence (by train hopefully!) at the end of our cruise for 3 days- that ends in the Civitivecchia (sp?) port. Has anone else ever done this? Did you go through Pisa or Rome? Pisa looks quicker, but I can't find a good site (in English) with train times. Can someone help me??? Please!!!!:confused:

Grits

Hey all,

We are traveling to Florence (by train hopefully!) at the end of our cruise for 3 days- that ends in the Civitivecchia (sp?) port. Has anone else ever done this? Did you go through Pisa or Rome? Pisa looks quicker, but I can't find a good site (in English) with train times. Can someone help me??? Please!!!!:confused:

Grits

Check out www.trenitalia.com. I am going to Florence pre-cruise. Flying into Florence for 3 nights, then Pisa for one night, then to the port. This way, I can see the leaning tower and break up the train ride. I don't think you can book your tain ticket unless you are in Italy? I am interested in knowing if anyone pre-booked train travel from the states?

If you use your web site http://www.trenitalia.com you can find the schedules. They do not show them for more then 60 days before departure. There are also phone numbers on that site for the US and they can book for you, or answer questions.

We will be going from Civitavecchia to Ravenna. We will have to switch trains in Rome and Bologna. The cost is around $230. US for the two of us. We are not buying our tickets until we Arrive in Civitavecchia before our cruise.

I have heard that first class is much more comfortable.

Pisa is not very large and if you are going to see the tower you don't need more then a couple of hours there.

Civitavecchia to Firenze is easy. Train change required in Pisa. Did the same trip last June. I have previously done the Rome-Civitavecchia-Pisa route at least 2 dozen times. The Pisa to Firenze route at least twice that.

There is no need to buy tickets ahead of time. If you are concerned, buy them the day you leave on your cruise.

Specific questions, email ftcruisin at bellsouth dot net.

• 1 month later...

Hello All:

Looking to do this as well. Looking on line it seems it is quicker to go through Rome, or am I missing something?

Also, does anyone know what it would cost to hire a private car instead of the train?

Thanks,

Matt

Try using the web site Raileurope.com, you can look up and also book tickets on the sight. If you are traveling from the port, I would think it would be easier to go into Rome's Termini and catch one of the many trains to Florence.

Carol

Archived