Hotel In Galveston On Dec 13, 2008

cowetamom

Hello All,

Any suggestions on where to stay under $200 for a family of four?

I do have the option of staying at any Marriott Brand for free, but I didn't see any in Galveston. With small children, I would like to stay pretty close and in a good area.

So it doesn't have to be a Marriott. Also, is there anything going on around this time, what is the earliest I should book?

Hello All,

Any suggestions on where to stay under $200 for a family of four?

the best place i would recommend and still have lots of meoney left over is Gaido's Seaside Inn.

I have stayed here twice when i have cruise out of Galveston. You are right on the sea wall, and directly across the street is the Ocean. These people are very nice and offer great clean rooms. You can also leave your vehicle at this hotel, while on the cruise for free. Be sure to check out the reviews if you have any doubts on what i am telling you!

There is a new Springhill Suites in Galveston - just opened beginning of February. We stayed there for our Voyager cruise in March. That being said - it was very clean, very nice - around $139 plus tax. It has an indoor pool which could be a plus in December. The hotel is a bit out of place in a residential neighborhood - nothing within walking distance. However, the manager called a cab. We heard others going to Seawall Blvd - we opted for Marios just a few blocks away - great pizza! As the hotel was new - it had some issues - most importantly rooms were not ready when we arrived at 6pm. I'm not sure why other than a new staff trying to get into the flow of cruise passengers checking out late and new cruise passengers arriving before 4pm. There is free breakfast - waffles, fruit, yogurt, scrambled eggs, pastry, cereal, coffee, juice - typical hotel fare. However, I appreciate this when traveling. I did just receive a nice handwritten thank you on a postcard, again, another nice touch.

You may be running into the Dickens on the Strand festival week-end, but it is typically earlier in the month. If you are having trouble finding lodging on the island, you might want to try the areas between Houston and Galveston along I-45. Areas such as the Clear Lake/NASA area of Houston, League City, and Texas City have many chain motels along and adjacent to the freeway. There would be lots of options in my area, Clear Lake, and we are only a +/-30 minute drive to the cruise terminals.

I was thinking about the Clear Lake area also. We seem to usually end up about fifteen to thirty minutes away from the ports anyway. I do think the Harbor House looks pretty cool.

How early do you think I should book?

Sarah

I am amazed how quickly rooms are going in Galveston for a cruise in early January. I booked at a Comfort Inn in Seabrook. It is seven miles off the main drag, but about $40 cheaper than sorrier rooms in Galveston. There is plenty of time to make the 25 mile drive to the pier.

cowetamom,

There are LOTS of motels in the Clear Lake area with at least two new ones going up right now in Webster (address should be Texas Avenue).

Don't want to steer you away from Galveston, cause staying there pre or post cruise is probably the best option. Harbour House, the Galvez and the Tremont are great places (but not cheap unless you luck on to some special deal - try checking on galveston.com). However, if you can't find anything there - or anything reasonable - the Clear Lake area is very convenient and offers a lot of options for lodging, restaurants, shopping and things to do (NASA/JSC, Kemah Boardwalk). Frankly, I'd just go ahead and book if you find something suitable. You can usually cancel up until the last day at the chains.

bktx1,

Seabrook Comfort Inn will be fine. I'm thinking you could even go south on Hwy 146 until it joins I-45 just north of the Galveston Causeway bridge and thereby bypass the construction on I-45 in the Clear Lake area. You'll also be near NASA/Johnson Space Center and Kemah Boardwalk if you have a bit of extra time in the area. There is also a new Comfort Inn in Webster on Texas Avenue. Did you price that one?

You might want to check out the Holiday Inn on the Beach. It ran around $100 in Dec. a couple of years ago, but our last couple of cruises were in Feb. and March and the rates had doubled. They have free cruise parking and a shuttle service to and from the terminal.

Archived