Drift Snorkel in Tahaa..too demanding for a beginner?

Kinkacruiser

I've read much about the drift snorkel excursions from the Pacific Island (ports of Call) site in FP and would like to know if the Huahine excursion with Marc would be less demanding on a beginner that Bruno's Raiatea excursion. We love the look of the Coral Gardens at Tahaa. Is that a drift snorkel place or does one stay in a smallish area?

Should beginners attempt a drift snorkel at all or should we wait to see how strong the current is on the day?

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers,

Kinkacruiser

We have been on both excursions last summer. I will say that we have been snorkelers for 18 years so we have had plenty of experience in many different conditions.

The drift snorkel in Huahine is easier than the drift snorkel in Tahaa. In Huahine you really just get in the water, put your face down and go with the flow. There wasn't anything difficult and it was beautiful!

The drift snorkel in Tahaa was very different. It wasn't the current that bothered people, but instead the tight fit around and over coral formations. The goal should always be not to touch any coral as not to damage it, but I know for a fact that it was much harder to manuever in that environment. We actually had one lady that walked down to the entrance and when she saw what the snorkel area was like backed out and walked back to where we would finish.

That being said, see how you feel after the snorkeling in Huahine. If you are comfortable in the water and feel that you have good control of your mobility, go for it. It was absolutely gorgeous and challenging.

You can look at pictures of both excursions in my webshots. The link is below my signature. Hope this helps and I wish I was on my way back now!:)

The current at Tahaa is fairly strong & a fair amount of the corral is close to or at the surface. A beginner may find it challenging. However, if you are a moderetly strong swimmer, you should be ok.

We havn't done Huahine, so I can't compair the two.

Thanks texswamper and DANofNORTH for your quick replies. Does one have to swim underwater at either location or simply float on top and in the case of Tahaa, push away from the coral? We would be quite happy to simply stand or lie face down and look at the sights. I get the impression this would be best done in Huanine, but we love the look of the Coral Gardens. My next question then is...

Could we book with Bruno and just opt out of the drift section, if we feel it's too demanding? I see he has a stop at the Lagoonarium for lunch, snorkel and relax and the after that he takes us to the Coral Gardens,and finally the West Coast. Where does the "drift " part slot in?

Looking forward to your replies.

Kinkacruiser

Archived