Waimea Canyon & North Shore in one day

vickwick

We will be on the POAM in 3 weeks time. We have one full day in Kauai and sail at noon on the second day. I am renting a car and we would like to get an early start and see both the Waimea Canyon and then try and make it over to Hanalei / Princeville area by early afternoon. Will we have enough time in one day?

We will be on the POAM in 3 weeks time. We have one full day in Kauai and sail at noon on the second day. I am renting a car and we would like to get an early start and see both the Waimea Canyon and then try and make it over to Hanalei / Princeville area by early afternoon. Will we have enough time in one day?

We did both of these in one day, here's a short review of our day in Kauai. On the second day we returned the car early and walked around the port area.

Review

We rented a car from Thrifty for the 2 days. We got off the ship at 8:00 am and lined up where all the Rental Company shuttles were waiting to take us to get our car. There were two lines at Thrifty, one for Blue Chip members and one line for regular renters. We were Blue Chip members and were first in line, we received our PT Cruiser and off we went back to the pier to get our Parking slip for the overnight parking. There were quite a few people in the other line but when we were finished they took people from the regular line as long as there were no other Blue Chip members.

Now we were on our way to Waimea Canyon. It’s a very pretty drive to the Canyon and going there we followed Rt. 50 to Rt. 550. Instead of continuing on Rt. 550 (Waimea Canyon Dr) which went a little further north we took Rt. 552 (Kokee Rd) just so we could see different scenery going up to the Canyons and then took Rt. 550 coming back. There are some interesting turns and a couple of hairpin turns but enough room so you weren’t uncomfortable.

Our first stop was the Waimea Canyon State Park and it was really beautiful. When we came out of the State Park we decided to turn right and head all the up to Kalalau Lookout which is as far as you can go. There are so many places to stop along the way and get pictures of the Canyon and some waterfalls that were absolutely wonderful picturesque spots.

We then proceeded to head back towards Lihue and went to Wailua Falls which again is very easy to follow into the city of Lihue, it’s only about 15 minutes from town. The Waterfalls are pretty and there were people swimming below and laying on the rocks to sun.

Next up we decided to drive North to Princeville. Another beautiful ride and since we were up that way we drove into the Princeville Hotel. All I can say is WOW, what a beautiful hotel. They don’t mind you coming in and walking around and taking pictures.

Enjoy.

It was a long day probably got back to the ship around 8:00. We took our time at Waimea Canyon and went all the way to the end and stopped all along the way for lots of pictures. We did not go to the Lighthouse but we spent a lot of time at the Princeville Hotel and enjoyed our time at the Wailua Falls.

We did this as well...started out around 9am, and drove up to the top lookout at koke'e state park (above the canyon) and then worked our way back down. We did stop at poipu beach on our way, but didn't stay long, and in retrospect I wish we had eliminated this and headed straight to the Kilauea Point Lighthouse, as the bird and whale watching there was spectacular, and we did not get there until 3:30 pm (and the gate closes at 4pm).

Another mistake we made was making 7pm dinner reservations...this cut into our north shore time. I would suggest dinner at the buffet (open til 9pm) or late reservations at one of the no-charge restaurants (in case you don't make it in time).

If you are keeping your rental car overnight, make sure you reserve a parking place early at the small shopping center (the aloha marketplace or something like that) just up the hill from where the ship docks.

We spent our second morning in Kauai on Poipu beach, and enjoyed that very much as well (but you could also use the time for a special excursion, such as a helicopter flight, or could visit the beach just in front of the Marriott close to the pier).

We originally planned to do this, but there were so many lovely spots to stop along the way to the North Shore that we ended up spending the whole day on that side of the island. I think we could have made it to the canyon had we not stopped so often (at the caves, waterfalls, beaches and an hour at the lighthouse), but we would have missed some wonderful sites (totally agree with Jeepers about the Princeville Resort -- we had lunch on their patio with the most incredible view). Anyhow, we now have an excuse to return to Kauai ;)

When ever people ask questions like this I think of the Chevy Chase vacation movie where they spend 5 seconds looking at the Grand Canyon then say, "OK, lets go!"

Both sides of the island have a ton to offer. I would hate for you to just look quickly then leave. I think you should base your decision of what to do on the weather. We go to Kauai quite often for land based trips, and we usually stay in Kapa'a which is half way point. We wake up, look out the window, and check out the weather report. Sometimes it is very rainy on the North Shore (especially winter months), this becomes obvious when you consider the lush green landscape with an abundance of waterfalls.

Driving is icky when raining and sometimes you can't even see the lighthouse. With that being said, there are no beaches more beautiful than Hanalei Bay or Ke'e. If your weather is perfect than enjoy but remember that the drive from one side to the other really is not that special. A view here and there but that's it, so don't spend too much time in your car.:)

If at all possible take all of the two days. The drive up Waimea is long and you'll want to stop and get out to marvel at the view. Once up at the Kalalau lookout, you may want to hike a little on the famous Kalalau trail. Coming down, you're on the side that has Poipu Beach, Spouting Horn, Old Koloa town (the tree tunnel is here). I saw the most magnificent sunset sitting on the beach at Poipu and I would have missed that if I had attempted the North Shore. If you get going early enough the next day you can see Wailua Falls (in about 10 minutes) and then head through Lihue to the lighthouse and then on to Princeville and Hanalei. That side of the island also has Fern Grotto which used to be kind of neat. If you like chicken noodle soup I would strongly urge you to stop by Hamura's Saimin and grab some soup to take back onto the ship with you at the end of your day. Its great, cheap, and they give you a lot - almost enough for two. I found myself so wrapped up in taking pictures of stuff and running around from sight to sight that I didn't stop to feel the sand between my toes (I actually never got down on my knees to feel the texture of the black sand beach), or, as the saying goes...smell the plumeria. Take 2 days to do Kauai, and make a point to come back. :p

My dw and myself will be on the POAM in July. Our plans for the first day ... p/u the rental car ... reserve parking at aloha mkt ... ck-in at Blue Hawaiian for our 11am helo flight over Waimea canyon ... then head to the north shore ... picnic at the falls ... ck out the lighthouse ... shave ice & a little shopping at Hanalei ... at the end of the road hike on Kalalua Trail r/t 1 hr (for a beautiful view) ... ck out sunset at either Ke'e beach or Princeville area ... then back to ship for a late supper. Hopefully it will work out and not have to rush. 2nd day relax at the beach by the Marriot. (we may need it) dpw

Hey doug definetly go down to the light house. In the past we always just looked at it from the view point, but this last time we actually paid to go down and see it. The wildlife was fantastic!!! There are many different types of birds and habitats. Not to mention a whale or two during the season. Worth every dime(support this great place)! They have docents walking around telling you all about the animals you are seeing. I am not a big bird watcher, but this is a don't miss to me now!! We had to drag my 11 year old out of there. :)

Thanks for the advice. About how much time do you think it takes at the Lighthouse to do it right? We don't want to rush but don't want to lolley gag around either. You think about an hour ... hour and a half would be enough? And how much is the admission? Thanks dpw P.S. what is a docent?

We had a half hour, and it was not enough...especially if you are at all interested in birds and photography. We were there during whale season, and could have spent a full hour just watching the whales.

Docents are basically guides who are available to point out things of interest and answer questions. Many of them are volunteers.

Thanks for the advice. About how much time do you think it takes at the Lighthouse to do it right? We don't want to rush but don't want to lolley gag around either. You think about an hour ... hour and a half would be enough? And how much is the admission? Thanks dpw P.S. what is a docent?

One hour is plenty..I think it was $5 per adult??? Kids free:) A docent is a person (usually volunteer) that is there to educated and introduce people to wildlife, art or whatever they are passionate about.

I think your plan sounds great! Enjoy the island!

Thank you for the suggestions. I actually spent 5 days in Kauai several years ago and took my time and saw both places including the lighthouse. This time I'm limited to (one day) and will be traveling with a friend from England who hasn't been to Hawaii before - so I was hoping to show her both Waimea Canyon and North Shore. I will play it by ear and see what my friend prefers to do and if she wants to try for both places we will have a quick look at the Canyon and head over to Princeville for lunch.

I'd like to know if we can do Waimea Canyon in the morning and be back on the ship around 11:30 AM. We will not do any hiking just stop at the lookouts.

We really would like to do north shore then hang out in tunnels beach and/or Ke'e Beach the day we arrived to Kauai.

probably doable, as long as you plan on a very early start (you can leave the ship as early as you like...make sure you reserve your parking place right away on the first day)

We were there about an hour, and it was plenty of time. You can't actually go up into the lighthouse -- the appeal is the wildlife refuge around it -- lots of birds to see. It's also a good whale watching point. If you have a Golden Eagle pass (or whatever the current pass is called) you can get in free...

My dw and myself will be on the POAM in July. Our plans for the first day ... p/u the rental car ... reserve parking at aloha mkt ... ck-in at Blue Hawaiian for our 11am helo flight over Waimea canyon ... then head to the north shore ... picnic at the falls ... ck out the lighthouse ... shave ice & a little shopping at Hanalei ... at the end of the road hike on Kalalua Trail r/t 1 hr (for a beautiful view) ... ck out sunset at either Ke'e beach or Princeville area ... then back to ship for a late supper. Hopefully it will work out and not have to rush. 2nd day relax at the beach by the Marriot. (we may need it) dpw

Hi Doug,

We're on a land trip in Kauai now and spent the past 4 days at the north shore...we visited the lighthouse today and did the Kalalua hike to Hanakapi'ai Beach on Monday.

The lighthouse is $5./pp (free under age 16)....well worth it for the incredible views and the wildlife. We debated going, but realized once we were there that it would have been a mistake to miss it.

The hike from Ke'ee Beach to Hanakapai'ai Beach takes about 1 1/2 hrs. each way (a bit shorter on the way back with not as many photo stops) ... but you can do just a portion of it and see some pretty spectacular views. Have some good hiking shoes, even if just doing a part of it.

I would reconsider your plans to stay until sunset at the North Shore.... doing that drive after dark isn't a lot of fun (we drove there from Lihue in the dark.)

Driving from Lihue to Ke'ee beach will take approx. 1 1/2 hours without stopping (lots of one lane bridges between Hanalei and Ke'ee Beach)...so, your plans might be a bit ambitious to fit everything in that you mention. If you are running short on time, and if you get all the way to Ke'ee Beach, you can still see some of the Napali Coast from Ke'ee Beach without doing the hike.

A trip to the north shore is worth it, and a more leisurely pace will enhance the experience. Enjoy! :)

Thanks guys for the great advice. My dw loves lighthouses and since I am in the Coast Guard I enjoy them also ... so I think we'll probably need at least a hour there. And as far as the sunset hopefully we can make it back to the Princeville Hotel area for that (if time permits) ... so the drive back to the ship won't be quite as long. We'll just see how it goes ... and make sure we have a wonderful day in Kauai. If time runs short I think the hike at the end would probably be what we give up ... especially since we are doing the sailby the following day. dpw

Archived