Royal Caribbean out of Galveston Question?

rugrath

I am wanting to take a cruise on Royal Caribbean during the summer. Does anyone know why they do not cruise from Galveston during the summer? I am a teacher and can not get other times off during the year.

I have asked the same question. Seems staying in Galveston for the summer would benefit the cruise line, but from my understanding, RCCL prefers other markets during the summer months. We have sailed RCCL and have loved the cruises, but have felt kinda like Galveston is the "step-child" port for RCCL. It's too bad, really.:(

I have asked the same question. Seems staying in Galveston for the summer would benefit the cruise line, but from my understanding, RCCL prefers other markets during the summer months. We have sailed RCCL and have loved the cruises, but have felt kinda like Galveston is the "step-child" port for RCCL. It's too bad, really.:(

I agree! Galveston went from having 2 RCCL ships that sailed year round to Voyager of the Seas only 4 months each year. We sailed on Voyager last month and it was great. It's so easy for us to sail out of Galveston as it's only a 45 minute drive for us. We would love to have our grown children go and make it a family affair, but they're all teachers and have to work! Rhapsody and Splendour sailed full all the time. I guess since the dollar is so weak it's more profitable for them to sail out of foreign ports! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

That is the million dollar question. They seemed to have a full ship each week the Voyager was here. There was a small rumor that the Rhapsody would be coming here in 2009 but I don’t think that is happening. I have sailed out of Miami on Carnival and hated everything about the experience. I think that if the Galveston port fixed the parking there would be nothing to complain about.

I honestly don’t see how they make more money in Europe than here. Just comparing the pricing a cruise out of Miami for 7 days on Jul 19 on the Liberty of the Seas in a JS it cost 2799 and the same date on the voyager it cost 2899. That is only 100 extra per passenger

I am with you on this, we are from Arkansas and can drive to Galveston and not have to fly to cruise, we did Splendor and Rapsody and did Voyager in Feb this year. Wonder if it would do any good to start a grass roots emailing or mailing to them. I talked to my TA and she had no answers, I talked to the TA on the ship and she said because the market was so good right now in other areas than US they were doing a lot of other markets, South America, Asia, Europe, and that is where they will be till the money exchange gets better, the dollar was so down and people can cruise to see the world rather than land stays. Sounds good I guess, but would rather they take care of homebodies.

It's more profitable to move the ship to another area that can get higher pricing. In most cases, this would create demand and higher prices out of Galveston. However, because the particular time of year the ship is gone is considered high-season, that's not really the case here. We also wished Voyager would sail out of Galveston in the summers.

It's more profitable to move the ship to another area that can get higher pricing. In most cases, this would create demand and higher prices out of Galveston. However, because the particular time of year the ship is gone is considered high-season, that's not really the case here. We also wished Voyager would sail out of Galveston in the summers.

I definitely miss the ship.

There's still a fairly high demand for it since it sailed full each week it was here and they certainly charged, and got, a high premium for the spring break crowds.

I'm thinking that they'll bring a permanent ship back after they've tested the waters with the European/Asian ports.

I definitely miss the ship.

There's still a fairly high demand for it since it sailed full each week it was here and they certainly charged, and got, a high premium for the spring break crowds.

I'm thinking that they'll bring a permanent ship back after they've tested the waters with the European/Asian ports.

You know, I think I would pay higher rates if Voyager would just be in Galveston for the summer season. I'm just glad we have Carnival and they are loyal to us. Would love to have Splendor or Rhapsody back,too.

If you have any pull with RCCL, please tell them the cruisers in Texas want them back for good!!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

I am hearing some rumors RCI may start cruising out of the bayport cruise terminal Houston,( possibly Voyager) in 2009 .... That brand new terminal is opening fall of 2008 ... NCL may be one of the options too... I heard that there may be some announcements coming in June 08....

all us Texans can do is wait and hold our breath....

I would certainly be willing to write a letter. We loved sailing out of Galveston. We thought the service was wonderful and the check-in the most efficient we had ever experienced! I think if they marketed this port more, they could have a full-time presence there. This could be a huge drive market for a good portion of the area, not just Texas, or at the worst a pretty short flight. It's a lot more convenient to many states that several of the Florida ports!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest carlogesualdo
I honestly don’t see how they make more money in Europe than here. Just comparing the pricing a cruise out of Miami for 7 days on Jul 19 on the Liberty of the Seas in a JS it cost 2799 and the same date on the voyager it cost 2899. That is only 100 extra per passenger

They're probably also considering the weak dollar compared to European currencies.

Archived