Water - What's It Like?

cruiser3175

Read a few comments somewhere on here (Progreso)that the water is not crystal clear blue/green as it sits on the Gulf Side of Mexico. Is this true? I'm trying to decide to go either to the beach in Cozumel or Progresso. Does the water at Corona Beach differ from the water at Reef Yucatan is it? :confused: Thanks for any info you can give.

If you want clear gorgeous water, Coz is THE place. The water at Progreso is a pretty green but is too murky for snorkeling. I would suggest a beach day in Coz and explore the Progreso area. There are some nice ruins, loafing in town is great and for some really neat architecture, go To Merida. Hdawson has some gorgeous pix of the area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That is also a great pic of the pier.. I was so surprised that the water is not more clear. I think with the pier being so long that means it is shallow and maybe that has to do with the water being cloudy..

The beach where the CORONA beer commercials are made is a must see!

The ferry is in the south of the island of Cozumel which takes you to the much

smaller island. Cruiseship tours are ~ $100pp include the bus trip to and from the ferry, the round trip ferry ride and picnic lunch with drinks! All done in about 6 hours of beach time for a total trip time of about 8 hours.

• 1 month later...
Clackey- where do you go to the beach in Coz? Is the water any prettier on a certain beach?

Hola Carly,

We go to a different beach each trip and very beach that we have been to has been fun. If I had kids, I would choose Paradise. If there are a lot of ships in port I would hit one of the exclusive beach clubs such as Nachi Cocum, Playa Uvas, Passion Island, or one that is farther from the piers such as Playa Palancar. If I wanted to snorkel from shore it would be Chankanaab or Palmar Beach Club at Dzul Ha (The Money Bar is there too). Water clarity depends on the wind. Most of the time you can see 100+ft. underwater. Fantastic!!!

Stomper,

The water at Progreso is a beautiful green but because of nutrients in the water and because of wave action in the shallows it is usually pretty murky. Water at Destin is blue and clearer.

Archived