Sit N Stroll Stroller??'s

readytolose

Anybody have any insight on these. I was looking at some and at first I was turned off because I didn't see any that had the sun shade. I'm thinking if we use this type of stroller/carseat we will need the sun shade for the different ports of call.

My questions: are these easy to push around? They seem kinda bulky, but I like the idea of not having to lug around a stroller and a car seat.

If you have used one, are they easy to buckle into the plane seat? and also car?

If you have used one and didn't like it, how come?

If you have another suggestion on how to travel with a 2 (just turning 2 right before the cruise) year old on a plane, the cruise ship and then different ports of call let me know. I can't imagine him walking all over the different ports, and I'm sure no one will want to hold him the whole time so I'm thinking this is the way to go, I just don't know if it is the most convenient or not.

I saw a post recently about an attachment for the airplane seat belts that can hold the child in, which seemed really convenient but we would still need a car seat for the rental car from FLL to Miami.

I wish he was old enough for a booster car seat. That would make things so much easier.

We have the Chicco Capri Stroller

pTRU1-2999583reg.jpg

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2373619

bought it for the last cruise and it was perfect...I actually probably saw 3 more just like it on the ship. The seats reclines a bit and the canopy is great to keep the sun out.

We are bringing it next week too...definitely a must.

That is exactly like the one I was considering buying until I started having anxiety over the fact that we would have to lug around a big car seat then.

I just don't know what to do. I just have a feeling the sit n stroll's don't push as easily as a normal stroller.

actually this stroller is very easy to push...and very lightweight and makes dime turns. We didn't bring a carseat, because we drove down to the port and weren't intending on doing any excursions that required driving.

Here is a picture of my son in it on the last cruise, as you can see we had it loaded with bags hanging from it...and it was still easy to push.

IMG_4522.jpg

We love our Sit n Stroll! We've taken it on 2 cruises plus a variety of other vacations. I like the fact that it is so versatile. I did rent a simple stroller on the last cruise just for moving around the ship, though because the sit n stroller is indeed bulky..

We've been thinking of getting this one:

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/67232.asp?source=MSN&keyword=all+one+stroller&cm_ven=NewGate&cm_cat=msnppc&cm_pla=HomeLiving&cm_ite=all+one+stroller

My friend has one and she says it's easy to push - her daughter pushes it. I'm trying to compare both of them but they look the same. Where did you find the one with the canopy?

It's been a couple of years, but we took Sit N Strolls on many vacations, and actually went through 2 different ones (because we would EBay them right after use and recoup most of our money).

Yes, the seat is bulky, but it steers very well and is very stable. On the plane, you literally just plunk it in the seat and then strap it in with the seatbelt. The car is a little more of a pain, because you have to lean in on it to get that 'rock solid' feel, and you have to have the child in the seat before you strap it in. Still, it was well worth it compared to the cost of renting a carseat.

Love our Sit N Stroll! Used to travel for long (6 hr) flights with my kids when I had clients in nice locales. This was a delight to have, even just for pushing through the airport to the gate (also handy to carry carryon's when little one wants to walk). We used on a 2 week european trip, and it was great even on the vintage sidewalks and closing/hauling down to the Metro. Love it for naps (has a nice side for their heads, and we'd prop up the foot of it when we'd stop to eat to make it recline more). We only used it in the airplane when the kids were just after 2, as by 3 they were happier sitting on the airplane seat. But, we still take it to the plane and just gatecheck now. I'm used to my kid's always having hats and sunglasses on in the sun, so didn't even think about that. As the other reviewer said, they sell great on Ebay (great if you're a seller, but you only get a small discount on used ones). I highly recommend it (just to avoid car rental carseats, its worth it).

My mom, bless her sweet heart, wanted to buy a SNS for us, and I thought long and hard about it and said no. There were four main factors for me that was turn offs:

1. No canopy (although your links says they have one with this? I didn't know about it when I was considering it)
  2. No storage. I knew we'd be away from our cabin for full days at a time and would need to take at least one full diaper bag with us, and the SNS couldn't handle it.
  3. The handle is too short for DH and just barely tall enough for me (I'm 5'7")
  4. I didn't like the fact that DS would have to ride so close to the ground. He likes to be up higher to see more, and I just feel more comfortable having him a bit further from the ground. That's just a personal thing of mine, but it really bugged me.

I have three friends with these. One likes it, and two hate it. You might be one of the ones who loves it, who knows. :o

Is there anyone you know who might be able to lend you one for a couple of days to see if you like it before having to buy one yourself?

If it were my decision, I'd skip the car seat altogether on the plane and just rent one with my car once I got to FL. And I'd buy a lightweight reclining stroller for the cruise. It may not be the popular answer. :)

I've flown with a 2-yr-old and she was just fine in her seat w/ only the plane's seatbelt. After lugging the carseat onto the plane, along with my DD, and random other bags, I checked the carseat on the return trip.

i also would have a problem with my child being so low to the ground in the SNS. If I were just going from a plane, to a car, to the plane, I'd consider it. But since you'll more than likely be using the stroller around the ship AND on the islands, I'd go with a lightweight stroller over the SNS. :)

If it were my decision, I'd skip the car seat altogether on the plane and just rent one with my car once I got to FL. And I'd buy a lightweight reclining stroller for the cruise. It may not be the popular answer. :)

I've flown with a 2-yr-old and she was just fine in her seat w/ only the plane's seatbelt. After lugging the carseat onto the plane, along with my DD, and random other bags, I checked the carseat on the return trip.

i also would have a problem with my child being so low to the ground in the SNS. If I were just going from a plane, to a car, to the plane, I'd consider it. But since you'll more than likely be using the stroller around the ship AND on the islands, I'd go with a lightweight stroller over the SNS. :)

Are there any regulations about children in car seats on planes? I realize it is probably safer in a car seat so don't flame me, I'm just curious if there is a law either way.

Has anyone ever requested a car seat for the rental car and then had a problem with them not having one available? That is my biggest fear. I might consider the plane with no car seat, but we would definitely need one for the car. I just don't know what I would do if we got there and they didn't have a car seat to use.

We did end up buying the Chicco stroller like mentioned above buy we are still considering buying the sit n stroll just to use as a car seat. That way we can just check the smaller chicco stroller, push him around the airport in the sit n stroll and then use it as a car seat on the plane and then just stick it in the closet on the ship and use the chicco while on the cruise and in the ports. If we could get away without the car seat at all and just rent one for the car that would be the easiest. We most likely won't need a car seat in the different ports because we are going to try and stay close to the ship. After I do more research on the different ports I might change my mind on that and then it would change everything and we would need the carseat but as of now I'm just not sure.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

We did end up buying the Chicco stroller like mentioned above buy we are still considering buying the sit n stroll just to use as a car seat. That way we can just check the smaller chicco stroller, push him around the airport in the sit n stroll and then use it as a car seat on the plane and then just stick it in the closet on the ship and use the chicco while on the cruise and in the ports. If we could get away without the car seat at all and just rent one for the car that would be the easiest. We most likely won't need a car seat in the different ports because we are going to try and stay close to the ship. After I do more research on the different ports I might change my mind on that and then it would change everything and we would need the carseat but as of now I'm just not sure.

If you're already thinking of having 2 pieces of travel gear for him (the SNS & the Chicco), why not just bring the Chicco and a car seat for him? You can gate check the Chicco right when you board the plane so you can have it for all of the airport times and if you bring your own car seat for the plane/ports you can have the security of knowing your car seat will be of good quality, and clean. You can buy a (well-rated for safety) convertible car seat for $40 (or just use the one you currently use, of course), so if nothing else it would be significantly less expensive than buying a SNS, which is over $200. The only hassle would be actually carrying the car seat through the airport, but that would be easily solved with one of those rolling suitcase racks you can get for $20 at Walmart. You'd be storing either the SNS or the car seat in your stateroom, so there's really no difference on board.

Just something else to consider. :)

Are there any regulations about children in car seats on planes? I realize it is probably safer in a car seat so don't flame me, I'm just curious if there is a law either way.

Has anyone ever requested a car seat for the rental car and then had a problem with them not having one available? That is my biggest fear. I might consider the plane with no car seat, but we would definitely need one for the car. I just don't know what I would do if we got there and they didn't have a car seat to use.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

As far as I know, the FAA only "strongly urges" you to have an FAA-approved car seat for your flights. http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/ & Info Here I know I was never questioned about having DD in her seat w/o a carseat.

I don't remember seeing where you are crusing to? Most other countries don't require carseats either. And if you are taking excursions, the vans won't have seatbelts anyway.

I've never rented a carseat w/ a car, so i can't give you any insight there, sorry!

And I agree with ElsieToo in regards to buying a lugguage rolling cart to transport your own carseat thru the airport and then gate-checking the Chicco. I have done the exact same thing many many times. (flying by myself every time!)

We have flown with our dd (almost 2 1/2 now) several times without a car seat with no problems. Actually, the only time I remember something coming up was a FA on a Air France flight bringing us a special belt to strap our then 1 1/2 dd while sitting on my wife's lap during takeoff.

We have rented car seats from car rental agencies without any problems as well. This goes for airport and off-airport car rental locations. I too worried a little that they would not be available since there were times we rented 2-3 car seats at the same time...but they were always available. I would suggest reserving your rental car from a large rental company like Avis, Hertz, Budget, etc.

As a previous poster mentioned, you would want to check the laws of other countries regarding car seats. You may want to note that car seats or seat belts are not required in buses or shuttles in our own country.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Carnival Victory 2000-2001

Carnival Pride 2002

Island Princess 2003

Carnival Conquest 2004

Sapphire Princess 2005

Dawn Princess 2006

Carnival Paradise 2006

Carnival Liberty 2007

Cunard QM2 2007

RCCL Independence of the Seas 2008

Carnival Splendor 2009

I'm a former Flight Attendant and car seats are never required. They are a very good idea and both the FAA and the AAP recommend using them onboard. Adult seat belts don't hold small children very well and lap babies aren't protected at all if anything goes wrong.

Air travel is safe so there is little chance of anything going wrong. That is where you are putting your bets with a lap baby. Never have anything attaching the child to you or your seatbelt. Those 'belly belts' on foreign airlines are banned by the FAA. They turn a child into a "human air bag".

I had a Sit-n-Stroll and it handled very nicely. It was very convenient for travel. I liked not having to deal with both pieces of equipment when away. We drove and flew to the cruise so I had a larger car seat as dd was out of the S-n-S but kept it in the car during the cruise.

We had a sunshade on it but I was also able to attach an umbrella to the bar on the side. That worked well in summer.

Never rent a seat with a rental cars. They're nortorious for being dirty, old, expired and you don't know their history. Have they been in an accident? Your child's security is too important so bring your own. It's really not that big a deal. I had a bad experience with a rental seat as a first time mom. Never again!

Three of our four bags went missing after our last transatlantic but we had our car seat so no worries for the 2 hour drive home. By contrast, while I was looking for our bags, I saw at least two car seats. I wonder how they left the airport with their babies... Don't check the seat. Try to use it onboard if you can.

hth!

P.S. newly re-edited and going on a website soon;

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Archived