Portofino and Chops on the Freedom

Just got off the Freedom. We did Chops one night and Portofino another...

Pretty much nothing negative can be said of either (as has been posted before).

Chops: The Caesar salad was great, the Lobster bisque - nice... The Crab Cake appetizer was also good (not Ruth's Chris good by any imagination). DW liked the shrimp cocktail - to me it's noise with all the other good stuff available...

DW got the 10oz fillet (we always split meals) - cooked Medium rare (red through, warm center). This was every bit what I would expect from any great Chop house. The Bearnaise was what you would expect to get in Paris...

I got the Scallops (as we were splitting, this seemed a good light alternative). Scallops were amazing! Cooked and dressed perfectly on a bed of twice whipped mashies - they melted in our mouths...

Sides: Mashed potatoes were very good, creamed spinach was OK, and the corn (???) was also OK - nothing to really write home about.

Deserts were nice, we got a sampling, and traded around... The croissant pudding stood out...

Portofino:

We got a Caesar, and house Gorgonzola salad, the bean soup, and I believe she got something (maybe soup du jour).

They also had a fillet (beef) - and it was cooked the same, and was every bit as good as Chops. I got a plate of skewered lobster,scallops and shrimp (one was enough - and again, we were splitting). Add Bearnaise, and we had a meal that was every bit as good (you could argue better due to variety) as Chops.

Our desert was a little sampler...

An argument could be made to eating every night in one of these spots (we had kids/grandparents - so that wouldn't fly).

Archived