I really want to take my passport ashore...

mrsneurotic

Doesn't Belize require a passport to fly out of the country? If so, then I want my passport with me in case I get left by the ship...or something. As you can tell by my loggin, I'm neurotic. But, I don't understand why you would leave your passport on the ship when the only reason you would really need it was to get out of the country if the ship left you? Someone, help me calm my nerves and decide what to do. My DH and DS are cave tubing and I'm going to a beach with DD..both through the cruise line. Shouldn't have anything go wrong, yet I still worry. Need input and would appreciate it. Thnx.

Doesn't Belize require a passport to fly out of the country? If so, then I want my passport with me in case I get left by the ship...or something. As you can tell by my loggin, I'm neurotic. But, I don't understand why you would leave your passport on the ship when the only reason you would really need it was to get out of the country if the ship left you? Someone, help me calm my nerves and decide what to do. My DH and DS are cave tubing and I'm going to a beach with DD..both through the cruise line. Shouldn't have anything go wrong, yet I still worry. Need input and would appreciate it. Thnx.

I'm with you Mrs. N.

I never could understand the posts that say to leave you passport on the ship and take a photocopy. I know that it can be stolen or lost, but I can't see where a copy is going to do any good if something came up and you had to fly home. I'll take my chances and carry mine. we have done 7 cruises and have had no problems, but let's face it, the law of averages dictates a change and then there is Murphy"s Law. I guess that it is a good thing that I never studied law, huh?

Yes, you would need a passport to fly out of Belize. More importantly, perhaps, you would need it to enter the US by plane.

I am a passport-bringer. I also pack about 5 color copies and put in my bags, and have a scanned in copy stored in my g-mail account which I can access from anywhere with Internet access...

But when traveling, I consider my passport like I would my Driver's license at home. I don't go out without ID at home- even an hour's walk or bike ride I feel funny if I don't have it (what if I get run over? How would someone know it was me?), so I always carry my passport, and license when travelling abroad.

I don't, however, carry it around with me while actually sailing on the ship- then it stays in the safe ;)

But everyone does different things.

I'm with you Mrs. N.

I never could understand the posts that say to leave you passport on the ship and take a photocopy. I know that it can be stolen or lost, but I can't see where a copy is going to do any good if something came up and you had to fly home. I'll take my chances and carry mine. we have done 7 cruises and have had no problems, but let's face it, the law of averages dictates a change and then there is Murphy"s Law. I guess that it is a good thing that I never studied law, huh?

Been travelling for years out of country and never take my passport ashore. I take other ID and a copy of my passport.

So here's another senerio! You take your passport and put it in your purse, u lose your purse or someone steals it.

It's a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't senerio.

What's the worse that can happen! Your stuck in some port that's sunny and warm for an extra day or 2.

Just go and have a good time!

Thanks for everyone's input. I really needed somebody to tell me their opinions and feelings, not just the rules (which I don't think are clear). I'm glad to know, first of all, that I'm not the only person with these feelings and then it's also nice for someone to put the worst case scenario into perspective...2 days in a warm sunny location might not be bad. I'm probably going to bring our PP's with us on the two days that we aren't taking ship sponsored excursions, and leave them on the ship the two days that we are. Thanks, again.

the copies are good for 1 thing, they have your number on them and it's easy to get a passport re-issued. that's why i carry the copy and leave the original in the safe.

especially if doing a beach or water activity. i don't want the passport getting ruined by water...even some of the water-proof things, leak...but the main thing, i don't want it stolen if i leave it on the beach. passports are very vaulable to the crooks, they pay good money for a stolen passport.

at ports, where it's a worry to me, i use the ship excursions...then it's their responsibility. but even then, so many of the local vendors rely on good reviews and will make sure you are taken care of.

you will also need $70 US tax per person to fly out. Not sure what will happen if you don't have it... and the airfares are outrageous. Don't miss the Ship!!!

Another good case for trip insurance, huh?

Archived