Tampa Hotel Recommendations

Frohoss

Well, I had so much support on this site with everyone I have to pick your brains again.:D

My wife and I will be cruising on November 30, 2008 but will be flying into Tampa a day early. We'll be arriving around 3pm on Saturday Nov. 29th. Anyone have any hotel recommendations? Obviously I want to get the best bang for my buck. Should we stay near the airport or closer to the port? Are there any hotels that offer free shuttle services to the cruise terminal? etc...

We would also like to hit up a nice resuarant, near or in the hotel, that evening.

I was going to book a room at the Embassy Suites by the Airport. $93 for 1 room and 2 adults. free breakfast. But going to wait for some feedback first. I'm guessing a cab to the port should be around $20-$25 from there.

Let me know if anyone has a better recommendation.

Thanks Troy

Well, I had so much support on this site with everyone I have to pick your brains again.:D

My wife and I will be cruising on November 30, 2008 but will be flying into Tampa a day early. We'll be arriving around 3pm on Saturday Nov. 29th. Anyone have any hotel recommendations? Obviously I want to get the best bang for my buck. Should we stay near the airport or closer to the port? Are there any hotels that offer free shuttle services to the cruise terminal? etc...

We would also like to hit up a nice resuarant, near or in the hotel, that evening.

I was going to book a room at the Embassy Suites by the Airport. $93 for 1 room and 2 adults. free breakfast. But going to wait for some feedback first. I'm guessing a cab to the port should be around $20-$25 from there.

Thanks Troy

Check the Embassy suites downtown, it is only about a mile to the port if that!.

You should also check the Florida departures board for info. Here is my research:

1. Residence Inn Downtown - 1 BR suite bkfast free shuttle to port 120

2. Howard Johnson - 85 double shuttle from airport and to port

3. Hilton Garden Inn Ybor City - 100 dbl

4. Chase suites - cruise package - 1 BR suite, transp. from the airport, to the port and back to the airport. 200

The closest to the pier are Embassy Suites and Marriott Waterside, but naturally they are the most $$

Tampa has a great trolley/street car system that can get you where you want to go for the evening: www.tecolinestreetcar.org check out the maps which will give you a great idea of the location of the hotels to the port.

Have a great trip!

The last time I chatted with Ken (local resident and avid cruiser)....he said the main area to avoid is the Busch Gardens area....because it was not safe.

Any hotels in the Westshore area are fine.

IT is close to the airport and get a free shuttle from the airport.

Then pay about $20 one way for a taxi to the port.

OR

You can pay about $20 for a taxi to the port area and stay at a hotel that will be close enough to walk to the ship the morning of the cruise. Although the hotels right around the Convention Center (Marriott and Embassy Suites) are pricey.

When we flew in, we stayed at the Embassy Suites in Westshore (which is not as pricy as the Convention Center location. There was a mall within walking distance and their shuttle would take you up a 3 mile radius. (The Port is 8 miles away) We stayed at ES because we had the points for 2 free nights. There are many hotels in this Westshore area.

We also are flying into Tampa November 28th for our cruise on the Legend November 30th. We are booked to stay at the Embassy Suites that is the closest to the port. It is a little more expensive to stay there but I really like the fact that it is close to the port. If it is like any of the other Embassy Suites that we have stayed in I won't be dissapointed.

i booked thru priceline...i booked the sheraton riverwalk which isnt too far from the port...they have a shuttle that takes you to the port...but you need to arrange your own transportation from the airport....i got it for 73.00 before taxes

This one has a cruise package for $139 and includes shuttle from airport, shuttle to port and shuttle from port back to airport after cruise. We've booked it for our Sept cruise

We stayed at Rocky Pointe in March and used their cruise package. It was very easy. They tell you ahead of time what time you will board your shuttle and take care of everything. There's a great bar/restaurant next door to the hotel. They provide a good breakfast as part of the package also. Have a great time!

We stayed at a Hilton close to the airport. They had a breakfast/hotel stay special. There was a free shuttle to the hotel but taxi to the cruise port was $15.

We stayed at Hilton-Westshore a couple of years ago. Used PL & got for for about $55 back then. Nice hotel,good location, free shuttle will take you where you need to go around the hotel area. Paid shuttle to the pier. International Mall within walking distance with lots of places to eat & drink.

Anything on Westshore(restaurants inlcude-Maggianos, The Palm, Fish Market) Riverwalk (close restaurants are a variety of local places and casual bars...Stumps, Hooters, etc.) or Downtown would be very close.

Rocky Point is a bit further out, but if there is a shuttle, I wouldn't worry. A few casual and seafood places nearby...Bahama Breeze, Castaway, etc.

While Ybor City is fairly close, I would not consider it a safe or nice place to stay.

We stayed at the Courtyard Westshore and would highly recommend. Nice accomodations. Free shuttle to the nearby Westshore mall and ate at Mitchell's Fish Market. One of the best meals I have had at a restaraunt and by far the best Key Lime pie I have ever had. We were going to take a Taxi to the Port but the van shuttle driver offered to take us. There was no fee but we tipped him very well. Have fun!

Thanks Troy

We stayed at this Hotel in Jan. for 2 days before our cruise and loved it. Not only do you get a free breakfast but at night you get free drinks. There is a mall across the street and a restaurant called Maggianos that had very good food. The cost of the cab to the port was not very expensive.

We stayed at Chase Suites. Nice clean room, and a decent hot breakfast included in the price. They pick you up at airport, then take you to the port, pick up from port and take you back to the airport. When we stayed there (2 years ago) they would also take you anywhere within 5 miles and drop you off, then pick you up again later for free.

Bahama Breeze restaurant is right next door. There was also a seafood restaurant not too far away (within walking distance).

You should also check the Florida departures board for info.

Jessandpaul, I didn't even realize there was a section for Florida Dept's until now! That section is very helpful as well!

THANKS FOR EVERYONES INPUT!!!!

We stayed here in January, and i loved it. We had free drinks at the managers cocktail party, and also had free massages. We got a free shuttle from the airport. They also took us to the mall that was really close. The next day we went to the port via the shuttle through Royal caribbean. But i highly recommend this hotel, we felt safe, and it was very clean.

We stayed at Chase Suites. Nice clean room, and a decent hot breakfast included in the price. They pick you up at airport, then take you to the port, pick up from port and take you back to the airport. When we stayed there (2 years ago) they would also take you anywhere within 5 miles and drop you off, then pick you up again later for free.

Bahama Breeze restaurant is right next door. There was also a seafood restaurant not too far away (within walking distance).

We're doing this package with Chase for our upcoming cruise. They did tell me I had to call them when we arrived at the airport but did you have to call them when you got off the ship or did you arrange a pick up time before you left the hotel?

Thanks! :)

Anything on Westshore(restaurants inlcude-Maggianos, The Palm, Fish Market) Riverwalk (close restaurants are a variety of local places and casual bars...Stumps, Hooters, etc.) or Downtown would be very close.

Rocky Point is a bit further out, but if there is a shuttle, I wouldn't worry. A few casual and seafood places nearby...Bahama Breeze, Castaway, etc.

While Ybor City is fairly close, I would not consider it a safe or nice place to stay.

I live in tampa, I don't fine that true about Ybor , however Westshore are is really nice, I live in that area. I would stay in the Ybor area.

I live in tampa, I don't fine that true about Ybor , however Westshore are is really nice, I live in that area. I would stay in the Ybor area.

I concur. Ybor or downtown by Channelside and the port aren't bad, especially in the areas where the hotels are. Yes, there are some homless that hang out down there, but that's like any city - they hand around where large groups of people will be.

Westshore is close to the airport and is very nice. Ybor is close to the port, a fun "Bourbon Street" type layout with the trolleys as others have mentioned. The trolley does go back and forth between Channelside and 7th Avenue in what most call "Ybor". For anyone wanting a real good meal (although a wee bit pricey), look up the Columbia on 7th Avenue. It's a traditional hispanic place and is a cornerstone of the community for generations.

I wouldn't stay near Busch Gardens or in the first few exits of I-4 not because it's lower income or especially dangerous, it's just there are nicer areas for a couple dollars more. Those areas are lower income areas and therefore can be more crime, but you'd be in worse areas depending on what ports you visit.

I concur. Ybor or downtown by Channelside and the port aren't bad, especially in the areas where the hotels are. Yes, there are some homless that hang out down there, but that's like any city - they hand around where large groups of people will be.

Westshore is close to the airport and is very nice. Ybor is close to the port, a fun "Bourbon Street" type layout with the trolleys as others have mentioned. The trolley does go back and forth between Channelside and 7th Avenue in what most call "Ybor". For anyone wanting a real good meal (although a wee bit pricey), look up the Columbia on 7th Avenue. It's a traditional hispanic place and is a cornerstone of the community for generations.

I wouldn't stay near Busch Gardens or in the first few exits of I-4 not because it's lower income or especially dangerous, it's just there are nicer areas for a couple dollars more. Those areas are lower income areas and therefore can be more crime, but you'd be in worse areas depending on what ports you visit.

Hey we live in the same city!:D

WOW, Graysonsgee that is a good deal on Sheraton Riverwalk Hotel. We have reservation in June but..... I did'nt get our room that cheap :mad: They do have shuttle that will take you to the port. This will be our first time in Tampa :)

Archived