Diving in Nassau

I'm just curious as to how the scuba diving is in Nassau? I'll be on the Valor June 1st going to Nassau, St. Thomas & St. Maarten. I know the best diving is supposedly in St. Thomas from this list, but I'll be getting married while we're there in port so diving won't be an option (you'd think she'd understand!! :p ).

Is the diving good enough to keep my interest & if so...any suggestions on operators?

I've heard nice things about Stuarts Cove, both in the magazines and also from people at my local (Austin, Texas) dive shop. The disadvantages are that Stuarts Cove is on the opposite side of New Providence Island from Nassau and that the dive boats can be crowded.

I'm just curious as to how the scuba diving is in Nassau? I'll be on the Valor June 1st going to Nassau' date=' St. Thomas & St. Maarten. I know the best diving is supposedly in St. Thomas from this list, but I'll be getting married while we're there in port so diving won't be an option (you'd think she'd understand!! :p ).

Is the diving good enough to keep my interest & if so...any suggestions on operators?[/quote']

I have been to stuarts a bunch of times and have never found the dive boats any more crowded then any other boat i have been on. I have had problems with other divers hogging space under the benches but I just use the deck boxes for my stuff.

I might just have to put off the diving until the next cruise so I'm not so rushed.

Thanks for the info.

Stuart's is a great place to dive. Just check when your ship arrives/departs' date=' and send a note off to them on their website (www.stuartcove.com) about your travel plans and the desire to dive there. As far as travel, plan for 20 minutes from the doc to the shop and the same to get back, Providence Island isn't that big an island so travel times from Nassau to other points of the island is quick and Stuart's provides transportation. The Bahamas are known for their Gin-clear waters and great reefs so you shouldn't miss diving there. And congradulations on your upcoming nuptuals!:)

Randall

My DH and I did the shark dive with Stuart Cove's in 2005 and it was amazing!!! We are going back in June and will do a regular ol' 2-tank with them but I bet we still see plenty of sharks. If your DW-to-be doesn't dive she might be able to go as a bubble watcher and enjoy the beautiful waters while you dive. Best wishes on your wedding!

LOL! We watch our shark video at least monthly (sometimes weekly) around here to relive that great dive! Best $100 we spent and it gives our friends/family more reason to think we're nuts!! :D

My dive instructor knows Stuart and he allows him to feed the sharks during his shark dive. Here's a picture from his recent trip down a few months ago. :)

Randall

Shark_dive.jpg

Cool picture Randall! That is really what it's like down there. Sharks are everywhere going for the food. They swim right by you and you can feel the current they create rock you as they glide by. Definitely keep your hands and fingers tucked in on this dive so you don't become part of the meal!!

Cool picture Randall! That is really what it's like down there. Sharks are everywhere going for the food. They swim right by you and you can feel the current they create rock you as they glide by. Definitely keep your hands and fingers tucked in on this dive so you don't become part of the meal!!

Yeah, my dive instructor is Rich Morin in Glens Falls, NY. You'll notice he's wearing chainmail as he feeds. He said that it stops the shark from biting through his hand though he's had it broken five times just from the pressure of their jaws (which is why they use the tickle sticks now to feed them). As part of our open water class sessions he shows outakes from a special he filmed for the Discovery channel. He was saying things like, "Watch, that shark will nick me in the ankle between the joints of the chainmail. See my spotter, he's telling me I'm probably bleeding too much from the bites and should go up...." Better he than me! :)

Randall

I did put in two full days of diving with Stuart Cove in early May. I had a good time and Stuart Cove treated me well. Stuart Cove was NOT a "dunk 'em quick, then bring 'em out" operation aimed at cruisers who hadn't dived in ages.

Some of the dive boats were crowded, some of them weren't. I think that depended on the luck of the draw.

I did NOT do the shark dive.

I would suggest that divers who find themselves back on the SC dock within 45 minutes of the last tender to their ship seriously consider taking a cab instead of waiting for the Stuart Cove shuttle bus.

We are hoping everything works out when we are back in Nassau with the Imagination in early June. We have reserved spots on the Stuart Cove shuttle for the 7:45 a.m. cruise ship pick up and hope we get off the ship early enough to make it. We stay in Nassau until 6pm so the early dive was really our only option. I guess if we miss the shuttle we could take a cab to the dive shop...

Glad to hear you had a good experience with SC recently, Cap'n Cork. We also had a good time diving with them a few years ago on the shark dive.

If you check back on this link, let us know what your favorite dive sites were when you dove with SC.

Thanks! :)

I did put in two full days of diving with Stuart Cove in early May. I had a good time and Stuart Cove treated me well. Stuart Cove was NOT a "dunk 'em quick' date=' then bring 'em out" operation aimed at cruisers who hadn't dived in ages.

Some of the dive boats were crowded, some of them weren't. I think that depended on the luck of the draw.

I did NOT do the shark dive.

I would suggest that divers who find themselves back on the SC dock within 45 minutes of the last tender to their ship seriously consider taking a cab instead of waiting for the Stuart Cove shuttle bus.[/quote']

mojo60, our Carnival ship did not offer a scuba diving excursion through the ship that's why we are going with Stuart Coves on our own. We could only safely do the morning dive due to our departure time (5pm I think). I don't know if your sons would be able to dive with SC due to your ships arrival/departure times. I do not know of any other dive operators in the area to recommend. Maybe some others on this board can help.

Thanks for the info. The ship does offer a 2 tank dive. They say they pick you up at the ship on their dive boat. But do they have equipment on the dive boat already? Should they bring their own. I know I am full of questions...sorry but maybe someone will know. THANKS

Archived