Hepatitis E on Aurora World Cruise

ClaireP

I have heard that there are reports about Hepatitis E being onboard on the recently completed aurora world cruise. anyone got any information?

thanks

We received a letter from P&O a couple of weeks ago which they also sent to all other passengers on the cruise.

The letter said that only a small number of people were affected, and that they were of the opinion that it was most likely contracted by consuming contaminated food or water while ashore.

I beleive them. I found the cleanliness on the ship to be of the highest standard.

The letter quotes an "unannounced and rigorous piublic health inspection" that the US government did on them while they were in Honolulu in January. The ship scored a perfect 100%.

I think it's a good sign of integrity that P&O informed all passengers about this rather than cover it up.

They also included some general info about Hep E. According to the brochure, it has an incubation period of 15 to 64 days, usually 26 to 42 days. It is not usually transmitted from person to person - even if they live in the same household. Most people who contract it recover spontaneously, although it is dangerous for women in the last trimester of pregnancy. Unlike other forms of Hepatitis, it does not cause long term liver damage.

There's more info at http://www.hpa.org.uk - just do a search for Hepatitis E.

We received a letter from P&O a couple of weeks ago which they also sent to all other passengers on the cruise.

The letter said that only a small number of people were affected, and that they were of the opinion that it was most likely contracted by consuming contaminated food or water while ashore.

I beleive them. I found the cleanliness on the ship to be of the highest standard.

The letter quotes an "unannounced and rigorous piublic health inspection" that the US government did on them while they were in Honolulu in January. The ship scored a perfect 100%.

I think it's a good sign of integrity that P&O informed all passengers about this rather than cover it up.

I agree.

I travelled on the Aurora in May last year and everyone who entered an eating place had to use the antiseptic gel.

I thought that this was an excellent idea and more eateries in England should adopt the same code of cleanliness.

I agree.

I travelled on the Aurora in May last year and everyone who entered an eating place had to use the antiseptic gel.

I thought that this was an excellent idea and more eateries in England should adopt the same code of cleanliness.

I agree that the use of gel should be encouraged but the problem is it can cause a sense of false sense of security and people don't bother washing their hands thoroughly after visiting the toilet. I'm always amazed how many people just walk straight out without washing. We alway try and avoid touching hand rails when making our way to the restaurant.

I have heard that there are reports about Hepatitis E being onboard on the recently completed aurora world cruise. anyone got any information?

thanks

No p&o do not use antisptic gels the only places its used is in the orangery resturant and none of the other eateries nor when boarding the ship after going ashore etc this was a great surprise to us as this was the only cruise line we have used that doesnot do this and very lacked in my opinion, we where on the world cruise in question and are now awaiting the results of blood tests ,we did not eat or drink anything ashore ,wwe will not be travelling with p&o again

No p&o do not use antisptic gels the only places its used is in the orangery resturant and none of the other eateries nor when boarding the ship after going ashore etc this was a great surprise to us as this was the only cruise line we have used that doesnot do this and very lacked in my opinion, we where on the world cruise in question and are now awaiting the results of blood tests ,we did not eat or drink anything ashore ,wwe will not be travelling with p&o again

We were on Carnival Destiny last May and they did not use gel either for the reason given above in my previous post. When we were on OV in 2006 gel was used extensively but last year on OV2 only when entering the restaurants.

Archived