Snorkeling? Ever see anything really cool worth discussing on the boards?

fierymaiden22

A few years ago in Cozumel while snorkeling a couple hundred feet off Dzul Ha with my DW I see a cool 5 ft long barracuda about 20 feet away. I was in awe because I had seen only small ones before then and turned to get my wifes attention when I realized she was wearing about 50 lbs of Mexican Silver Jewelry from her earlier shopping trips!!! I got between her and the cuda and tried to make myself real wide to block the view while the cuda circled us, but he never came within 10 ft of us and left after one full circle. It was exciting to go from awe to AAAHHHH!!!! to whew!! in just a few seconds...

OUCH...When we came back from an excursion in St. Thomas dw had to go to the doc and as we were sitting there waiting to be seen in walks a woman (60 something) with a bloody towel wrapped around her left hand. DW asked what I thought happened to her and said she was probably in the water with jewelry and got bit. Sure enough she didn't remove her wedding ring and got hit by a barracuda.

I've only seen the above fish and an eel. Oh and I did see a sea snake in the persian gulf...THAT scared the crap outta me.

Just Curious. I'm going snorkeling for the first time in June in Cozumel. I have a facination with sharks and was wondering anyone ever see them when snorkeling?

My husband and I went to Providenciales (Turks & Caicos) last year and snorkeled right off the beach - it was incredible!

We saw hawksbill turtles, baracuda (scared the bejeezus out of my husband), nurse sharks, tons of beautiful tropical fish & coral, but sadly no rays. I was really hoping to see some rays. It was absolutely fabulous snorkeling.

Last year while diving out of Key West, we ran across a Goliath Grouper (Jewfish), what an amazing sight. This guy was at least 300 lbs, and just cruising along minding his own business, able to swim along right beside him

COOL!!!

I've only seen the above fish and an eel. Oh and I did see a sea snake in the persian gulf...THAT scared the crap outta me.

While snorkeling a cave in Xel Ha, small cave but kinda dark and shallow in the middle, something very large got startled and swam past us bumping into us all on the way out. All we could see in the cave was BIG, FAST, and DARK so there were a lot of bubble-screams (including my own I'm sure) but saw towards the cave exit in the sunlight it was a turtle! Who was more startled, the turtle or us? The whole group was pumped about that.

While snorkeling a cave in Xel Ha, small cave but kinda dark and shallow in the middle, something very large got startled and swam past us bumping into us all on the way out. All we could see in the cave was BIG, FAST, and DARK so there were a lot of bubble-screams (including my own I'm sure) but saw towards the cave exit in the sunlight it was a turtle! Who was more startled, the turtle or us? The whole group was pumped about that.

That is too funny. :eek: :D

Hey, Dan, I know what you mean. When hubby & I saw the cuda while snorkeling, we couldn't get out of the water soon enough. Seriously, the thing was 4 feet long at least & had a bajillion teeth! That is one big reason I don't snorkel or dive with jewelry on - don't want to attract any of those guys.

When my girlfriend and I went snorkeling in Cozumel this March we saw a 4-5 ft barracuda. It was about 15-20 feet away from us and he never came any closer. He actually swam away in the opposite direction after we saw him...but I have my nipples pierced and have heard that barracuda are attracted to shiny jewelry, so for the rest of the time under water I had my hands over my nipples!!...haha...

I think next time I go snorkeling I'm going to wear a t-shirt!!!

but I have my nipples pierced

Ok, how much did THAT hurt? I had my nose pierced a year or so ago and it hurt like a sonofab*tch, and I have a very high pain threshhold. I've since let it close because it was just a pita.

Ok, how much did THAT hurt? I had my nose pierced a year or so ago and it hurt like a sonofab*tch, and I have a very high pain threshhold. I've since let it close because it was just a pita.

It actually hurt like hell!...I guess I didn't think about it beforehand because the first time I even remember getting nervous was when the guy who was about to pierce me said "just so you know the nipple is a sensitive area so this may hurt a little..."...that's when I started second-guessing my decision to have it done....But the first one didn't hurt too bad (just felt uncomfortable- perhaps because of adrenaline?), but the 2nd one really hurt!!!....But it wasn't like the pain lingered- it felt fine right after he was done...And my nipples were a little sensitive afterwards, but after a few weeks they felt normal. About the only thing I have to be careful of (well, besides snorkeling with barracuda) is to make sure I wear bandaids over em when I play golf because I've forgotten a couple times and after a few swings I quickly remember!!!...haha

The nipple is one place I could never pierce. Way too many nerve-endings there. I remember how sore those suckers (ha, no pun intended!) got when I nursed my babies. The thought of (purposely!) sticking a needle through them... UUURRRGGGHHHH!!! More power to ya though.:p

Malibu2, you are probably talking about Chaukanaab Park.

OT- I had my nose pierced about 6 weeks ago and I didn't feel any pain whatsoever. I've also had my belly button pierced and my ears. I guess I'm just tough lol.

One cruise we didn't snork, we did a sub ride. Cruising just below the surface we looked up and saw a young couple of swimmers on the surface. They were being extremely friendly and swimming real close to one another. They didn't notice us, probably wouldn't have had we surfaced beside them. :eek::D

Does that count?

Dan

Malibu2, you are probably talking about Chaukanaab Park.

OT- I had my nose pierced about 6 weeks ago and I didn't feel any pain whatsoever. I've also had my belly button pierced and my ears. I guess I'm just tough lol.

I've had quite a few piercings and done a few on myself at home. The worst I ever had was when I had my lip pierced. The guy stretched my lip out and came up through the bottom. It didn't want to go through and finally just snapped and went through and he actually stabbed me in the tip of the nose. My nose was bleeding. That was actually done at a legitimate shop.

The most painful was the cartlidge at the top of my ear. It stayed sore for months after having it pierced.

Archived