Please help us find our favorite beach

Dianek0977

Okay, I don't know if anyone will be able to help me on this or not.

We sailed to Antigua back in February 2005. When we got there, we just hired a taxi driver and asked him to take us to a semi-secluded, beautiful beach. We ended up having our best day ever, and now we would like to go back to this beach on our next cruise this September.

Now the problem...I don't remember the name of the beach. All I remember is that there was a shack-like bar or nightclub that we had to walk through to get to the beach. There were less than 20 of us there the entire day. It took about 10-15 minutes (I think) to get back to the boat. No cost to use the beach; we did rent out chairs for a fee.

I took pictures of the beach, but of course I lost them....anyone have any ideas or pictures to help me?

This is like a Sherlock Holmes mystery case. It would have helped if you had pictures.

It could be Runaway Bay you're talking about and the 'shack like' night club/bar you may be referring to was once called Lashings or Bikinis and now it is a bit refurbished and referred to as Sandhaven. Have a look at the following and tell me if it brings back memories....

A shot of the beach

4094.jpg

Of the bar/restaurant/nightclub-hang out spot

16393.jpg

It was a bit crowded on this day

16389.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I think that is probably the right one...I'm so disappointed that it is really popular now. The absolute best part was having that beach almost entirely to ourselves. The shack/restaurant was a lot different a few years ago, so I think that's what threw me off.

I guess we'll have to look for something else to do.:( It was only a matter of time before everyone else found out what a great place it was!

Thanks for the pics. I think that is probably the right one...I'm so disappointed that it is really popular now. The absolute best part was having that beach almost entirely to ourselves. The shack/restaurant was a lot different a few years ago, so I think that's what threw me off.

I guess we'll have to look for something else to do.:( It was only a matter of time before everyone else found out what a great place it was!

Don't be discouraged. There may have been an event going on why so many people were there on the beach that day. I myself go to that beach from time to time and there are days when there is no one or very little people there. It just depends. Usually on a weekday the beaches are practically empty. What day will you sail into Antigua?

Who knows, it may not even be the beach you went to the first time you came. Remember, Antigua has 365. :D This was just a suggestion based on what you posted at first.

We may still try it; I'll have to talk to my husband about it. I was in a state of denial, I think. I have been reading all of the posts about Runaway Bay, but kept telling myself that it couldn't be the right beach because the shack/restaurant was completely different when I was there. When you posted that they have refurbished that area....I knew that I couldn't deny it any more.

In any case, thanks for the help! We may still give it a try; they do say "you can't go back" for a reason, don't they?

Maybe it is Darkwood Beach. Just run a search and you will find some posted photos. With Darkwood Beach, you enter the beach through the bar/restaurant area.

It could be Darkwood as well but it is not so secluded as there is a main road which runs along the beach. Here are some pictures of this beach just incase.

19126.jpg

15097.jpg

17098.jpg

Hi Diane

I have loads of photos of Runaway and Sandhaven, if I get a chance later I will post some for you. If you tell me what day you are coming in on I should be able to tell you if its going to be busy. The season is coming to an end now so chances are it will be a lot quieter. The other beach close by is Fort James with Millers by the sea there, this has the fort at the end of the beach, it could have been that one. Just a thought.:)

• 2 weeks later...

OFF FROM THE ROAD...YOU HAVE TO WALK THROUGH A BAR/ RESTRAUNT.... BEAUTIFUL BEACH, GOT KINDA CROWDED LATER ON... IT ALL DEPENDS HOW MANY SHIPS THAT DAY, TURNERS IS BETTER THAN DARKWOOD.... OFF THE ROAD, DARKWOOD IS ON THE ROAD, , SAME WAY TO GET THERE BUT 1/2 MILE UP IS TURNERS...:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I think you're talking about "Millers By The Sea".

Your description sounds exactly like the beach we went to in March.

I only have a couple of pictures -- this is the only one showing the landscape.

We walked through a bar -- change rooms were behind a fence -- a few people selling jewelry, shirts & dresses on the beach, but otherwise quite uncrowded.

Hope this helps!

:)

When I was reading the initial post, I thought of Turner Beach, just like Maofthree 2 posts back.

We also hired a taxi and asked to be taken to a good swimming beach that wasn't crowded but wasn't deserted either.

There were only a few people on the beach and you walked right by or through a small restaurant/bar.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out. I looked at everyone's pictures, and I was pretty sure it was Runaway Bay...

This weekend I found my pictures from my last cruise, and found one of the sign that was posted outside the restaurant. It said Bikinis...so we're talking Runaway Bay, aren't we?

Thanks again for everyone's input. I think we're going to try it again:D

Hello

Yep thats deffinatly Runaway. Its now called Sandhaven. Im going to try and post some pictures (fingers crossed). It realy depends on what time of year you come over, because if its in the next six months you will basically have the beach to yourself.

Hope the pictures help Ive been meaning to put some on for ages.

1055326998_puppiesandbeach048(2).jpg.a6aaaf9483b6538b22ebda2f7141bc95.jpg

2144789326_puppiesandbeach037(2).jpg.6fa03d3245e12f1144befb3c6159a07f.jpg

1580232932_puppiesandbeach043(2).jpg.d8f1fbc43848daaa7f55042e58923357.jpg

580363040_puppiesandbeach052(2).jpg.d2c702c8febc6d540ada451a413ef3cd.jpg

1167721734_puppiesandbeach065(2).jpg.cb10642ae66b769fe7a84ea7297a836b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Best swim beach? Best snorkel Beach? Reasonable price to get there??? Bus prices or taxi prices? How far from Carnival pier?

Dickinson, Dark Wood, Cade's Reef (beach?), Jolly Beach(currents??), Turner, Half Moon, Runaway, Millers by the Sea,

I can only pick one! Please help!

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out. I looked at everyone's pictures, and I was pretty sure it was Runaway Bay...

This weekend I found my pictures from my last cruise, and found one of the sign that was posted outside the restaurant. It said Bikinis...so we're talking Runaway Bay, aren't we?

Thanks again for everyone's input. I think we're going to try it again:D

Yep, thats the same place! Glad you found the spot again.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found out that when we are in Antigua there will no other ship docked there. We will be the only cruise passengers there.:D So chose which ever beach you desire it won't be crowed.

Archived