Choosing a ship-RCI Vision or Carnival Pride/Spirit

iscrk

Hi All!! Have not posted in awhile and glad to be planning a cruise! I realize that this is a RCI Board, but I am looking for balanced opinions on which ship to choose. Some details...traveling with myself and husband (mid-40's ;) ) and two boys ages 12 and 14. We have cruised twice before in the carribean on Disney Magic...changing cruise lines due to Disney pricing itself out of the market, and the kids aging out of the Disney-esque brand...too babyish they say! We like to do snorkeling and beach stuff, zip tours, etc. but usually book tours on our own.

Want to hit the Mexican Riveria on a 6-8 might cruise, out of Los Angeles or San Diego last week of Oct. 2008. Doing research, I see that the three ships we are considering is Carnival Spirit or Pride, or the RCI Vision out of L.A.

My concerns...we are not smokers, How is smoking on the ships?

Is Carnival/RCI too much of a party ship for young teens? For awhile (years ago), Carnival had the reputation of being party-party all the time. My hubby and I will have a few cocktails, but don't want to run into noisy blantant (sp?) drunkenness on the ships. Now we realize that we won't avoid this completely, but just wanted some opinions on this.

How are the ships themselves? Looking to book oceanview, possible balcony. Any cabin tips? Again, we are new to both cruise lines so looking for any help! Thanks in advance to all Cruise Critic friends!

We've been on the Spirit 3 times in the last 2 years. It it a beautiful ship, well maintained, and service/food is great. Cruising out of San Diego is so nice. Airport is 5 minutes from pier. The waterfront area and things to do in San Diego are numerous.

I have asthma and have never had a problem on the Spirit with smoke.

As with any cruise ship, there will be groups of people who are party/party/party. We did not find this to be an issue. The late night deck parties up by the pool a couple of nights, but it was just fun. We were there for a couple of those, but no one was out of control. I think the Party reputation is no longer really valid except for Spring Breaks and maybe the 3 day weekend cruises ... but on any cruise ship you can see that.

My nephew LOVED Camp Carnival and begged to go each day. Numerous age groups with activities geared towards that age group.

I wouldn't hesitate to go on the Spirit again. Definitely a great ship. Also given the choice between San Diego and Los Angeles, San Diego wins in our book.

Have fun, whichever one you choose.

Royal has a more restrictive smoking policy than Carnival, with no smoking in any rooms (but balconies OK). I've not taken a longer cruise out of LA, but generally, they are not as big of a party. Also, Carnival's Spirit class ships tend to be more sedate because all of the night "hotspots" are spread out a bit on different decks. Personally, I'd base the decision on price and itinerary. If those were pretty similar, both ships and lines have pro/cons.

We chose the Pride over the Vision for a few reasons.

1) The Pride spends 2 days getting down and 1 day getting back. Vision is the reverse. Sometimes the way back can be much rougher than going down due to traveling against the current and into the wind. We would rather have 1 day of rough travel than 2. Of course, our last trip was very smooth both ways, so you never know.

2) The Pride is about 3 years newer than the Vision.

3) The price of the Pride was much lower. We got an extended balcony on the Pride for the same price as an inside room on the Vision.

We did not find any problems with smokers. We don't smoke, and I can't stand the smell, so I notice it. There are certain outside areas and bars for smoking. We just avoided those areas.

We really enjoyed our trip on the Pride. We are going back for New Year's.

Archived