Carnival Pier in Tampa question

calgary cruiser

Hi there - just curious what anyone's feed back is on this Port? We have sailed out of Ft Lauderdale and out of Miami (Miami's check in and Pier are amazing) and wanted to know what the port of Tampa is like. I am sure it is not nearly as large Miami but is it fairly new, easy to find, efficient etc etc.

We are looking to cruise Feb 2009.

Calgary Cruiser

Hi there - just curious what anyone's feed back is on this Port? We have sailed out of Ft Lauderdale and out of Miami (Miami's check in and Pier are amazing) and wanted to know what the port of Tampa is like. I am sure it is not nearly as large Miami but is it fairly new, easy to find, efficient etc etc.

We are looking to cruise Feb 2009.

Calgary Cruiser

Hope this works, if not Goggle it, that's what I did. Haven't used it before but are looking at Feb 22nd '09 on the Legend. Happy crusing! :)

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rls=RNWG,RNWG:2004-14,RNWG:en&q=Port+of+Tampa

Luv's Crusin'

The port is easy to find, easy to navigate around in. Parking is convenient, and they have a very user-friendly setup for dropping off your luggage pre-cruise. Basically a drive-thru setup - you pull through in your car, unload your luggage with the porter. If your other passengers want to get out there, they can do so & wait there until you return from parking your car. If you fly in & come by cab, they just drop you & your luggage right there at the terminal (the luggage with a porter, you go get in line).

Carnival is very efficient in getting you onboard & offboard at the end of the cruise.

If you don't want to get onboard right away, there is a shopping/entertainment complex adjacent to the pier. It's called Channelside; includes a number of restaurants, bars, shops, a movie theater, an upscale bowling alley.

Do you have specific questions or just looking for an overview?

SeaPA1 - your info was just want I wanted....Luv's cruisin - I too googled the port info and it was a good site to reference. We are hoping to do the Legend sailing one week before you on feb 15th 2009.

thanks for the info..

Calgary Cruiser

One quick comment for both of you - the address shown in the link above (1101 Channelside) is to the Port Authority's office. It's about 2 or 3 blocks from the actual cruise port that is used by Carnival.

To see the actual cruise dock area, open that google link & doubleclick on the red balloon that marks the address. This should cause a "zoom" and a switch to the satelite pic. Scroll down the pic a little bit & you'll see one of carnival's ships in the pic.

• 2 weeks later...
I am looking at google maps right now

the Florida Aquarium looks to be right next store...looks alot simplier than miami

Correct, the Aquarium is right by the entrance to the pier Carnival uses. The drive-thru luggage drop area is between them (you should be able to see it if you zoom in on the google maps satellite view).

The port area is great. lots of things to do. But I personally did not like the sailaway as compared to other ports as much other than going under the bridge that was amazing !! I find Miami or FLL is way nicer as far as sailaway goes. Much more scenic and the beach views are awesome.

Also non us citizens (and since you are from Calgary) BEWARE !! you will have to get up at 6am to clear customs on the ship on disembarking day.

It was brutal !! huge line up and dragging kids around at that time was terrible. No other ports do this that we have been to and I doubt we will sail out of Tampa again for that reason. Its a shame too because we loved the area and the city....

• 3 weeks later...

Good to know about the early customs for Canadians.

Do we get off the ship first as well...or do we customs, then wait?? Trying to decide if we should cruise out of Tampa, and also how early we can fly out. We need to fly to Buf and hopefully drive another 6 hours after we land to make it home for school the next day.

So....if we need to go to customs early, can we get off the ship fast, or is it crazy...any way to make a 10:10 am flight...I'm assuming not very likely. Just hoping!!

Archived