Turtles

nurseapple

• 2 weeks later...

We were just there April 23rd, took the local busses to Paynes Bay. There were catamarans out there, so we just swam out to where they were and saw them on our own (we brought snorkel gear). I saw a few, hubby saw a bunch, waiting for our underwater pics to get back. Spent a whopping $6 for the day, got a good tan. There are people hitting you up all day on the beach though, so that got annoying. You can take a taxi to the Blue Monkey (a bar) and they have drivers waiting there to take you back to port in the front/street side of the bar when you are done. Or you can navigate the busses (it was a good experience of the true local culture, but not recommeneded for everyone). There is another thread about this on this board somewhere, thats how we figured it out. The busses are about a 10-15 minute walk from the port.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were at Blue Monkey Beach last week. Nice beach with beach bar, chairs and umbrellas for rent. Facing the beach to the left we saw tour boat, catamaran and snorkelers. We swam to them and saw 3 turtles, sting ray. Our kids thought it was so cool to swim with turtles. It was not far from shore, it was about 10 feet deep, make sure to have floating vest. The beach itself was also very nice for sunbathing. We had 10 in our group, so the taxi rate was $8 round pp, I am sure it is more just for two.

MTV

We plan on swimming with the turtles too. Did they have life vests for rent? We have all equipment but vests. Also, how often did the bus come by so you could get back to Bridgetown?

Thanks

We bought ours so I am not sure if the place has rental equipment. On the road to both Folkstone and Blue Monkey, I saw yellow buses ran very frequency. The walk from pier to bus station is about 15 minutes, if opt for bus, make sure to ask for direction after you past the security check point. If you allow extra time for the returning trip, it will be fine.

MTV

Archived