Posting Items Back Home To Oz

bella54

Hello fellow cruisers!!:D :D

We are within 2 days of flying out to join our Cruise Ship Carnival Spirit on 5/2/08. Soooooooo excited. We are doing the B2B cruise onto Alaska. Forgive me if this is a silly question but does the ship have any sort of postal service on board? We have a short time in Vancouver on 5/14/08, and our intensions are to find a post office and post as much of our summer clothes back as possible as excess luggage is huge. When we disembark we will be extending our staying on in Vancouver for about 5 days anyway. With being away for a month and packing for the 2 extreme climates, I can just get my suitcase shut - but no room for any goodies on the way.;) ;) Any suggestions?

Hello fellow cruisers!!:D :D

We are within 2 days of flying out to join our Cruise Ship Carnival Spirit on 5/2/08. Soooooooo excited. We are doing the B2B cruise onto Alaska. Forgive me if this is a silly question but does the ship have any sort of postal service on board? We have a short time in Vancouver on 5/14/08, and our intensions are to find a post office and post as much of our summer clothes back as possible as excess luggage is huge. When we disembark we will be extending our staying on in Vancouver for about 5 days anyway. With being away for a month and packing for the 2 extreme climates, I can just get my suitcase shut - but no room for any goodies on the way.;) ;) Any suggestions?

well yes and no....you can mail post cards and letters from the Pursers desk but i dont think you can do anything with packages on ship....

purchase a duffel bag of some sorts at one of the ports. it's yet another souvenier, but also has purpose, you can store the other goodies on that bag and then when you reach vancouver you can hit a post office or UPS to ship it all back that way. Doesn't cost extra money to carry off ectra bags from the ship, but it will to fly them back home. If the shipping is more than the extra bag fee, then you are better off bringing it that way.

I just checked the US post office site and to send a 15 pound package to OZ will cost a minimum of $74.00. You might want to reconsider packing half the amount of clothes you want/need and do laundry on the ship at least a couple of times.

Thanks for all your great ideas!!

I like the idea of the duffel bag - I was imagining us trooping down the gang plank with our laundry bags in tow full of clothes to go back home. THEN transferring them to a box at the post office:o :o $74.00 is not that expensive when we pay $100.00 per kilo thats 2.2lbs excess!! I remember my daughter and son inlaw were 10 kgs over on their way back from Paris and was going to cost $1,000.00 au - they called us in a panic and reduced it to $200.00 by sending it home via sea. We will not need our summer clothes when we get home as it will be winter, so a couple of months getting the clothes back is ok. We are only allowed 20kgs which is not a lot in international standards on our flight. Thanks so much again - don't know what we would have done without this site:D :D

keith and janette

:) Onboard the ship you should be able to buy a holdall which folds up into a smaller bag.Its either$14.99 or $19.99,very light and holds loads.Buy at the beginning and then pack with your discarded clothing etc.

When you arrive in vancover you can then take the bag to the post office,buy your postpacs{canadian post offices sell mailing boxes the same as oz does}pack all your clothing in box{s}fold your holdall and also put it in the box.Works really,really well.

Have done this many tims.Know all about the 20kgs baggage.On my first trip to oz mailed 23 boxs home{mind you i was there for a year!}

Definatly works out a lot cheaper than excess baggage.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks everyone for all your great ideas!:D

This forum has helped us so much with this our first cruise:D From booking our car out of the King Kam - to "can we bring an iron" and a myriad of other questions. I hope when I come back I can be of assistance as much as you all have been to us. Happy Cruising!:)

Archived