TAMPA Port - Information?

Catrin

Hi all...

All these cruises, and we have never sailed out of Tampa.

Can anyone give me some information...

Distance from Airport?

Hotel recommendations?

Activities around port?

Thanks,

Catrin

There is a nice aquarium right next to the port. It is a good place to kill some time if you have a late flight after your cruise. I heard they will keep your luggage for you, but we rented a car so we didn't use their luggage service.

if you look under Home Ports there is one from Florida and there is a bunch of info there.

basically port is not far from airport, pretty easy port as it is not a large cruise ship port.

plenty of hotels, etc. etc.

let me know if you can't find the info you need and i will try to help

Hi all...

Distance from Airport? Probably about 8 miles. It is a straight shot down the interstate(I-275) to downtown tampa.

Hotel recommendations? For proximity, I would look into Marriot Waterside, Embassy Suites downtown or Marriot Riverwalk. Those hotels are practically walking distance. The first 2 definitely could walk.

Activities around port? The port itself is surrounded by Channelside. It is entertainment/restaurant complex. There is a Hooters, Bennigans, Thai restaurant, Stumps Supper club and a steakhouse restaurant to eat. There is also a trendy bowling alley/bar(Splitsville) and a few night clubs.

Thanks,

Catrin

See above!!

The port is about 10-15 minutes away from the airport. Plenty to do down around the port area. One poster has already mentioned the aquarium plus Channelside and Ybor City is down there too. There are some hotels out around Westshore that have free shuttles from the airport and the port. We stayed at the Doubletree Westshore and there free shuttle worked out great for us. They even picked us up after the cruise was over and took us to the airport. Pretty good deal considering we had only stayed there one night a week earlier. Westshore area is about 15 minutes from the port. You will like sailing from Tampa. We found it to be the easiest embarkation.

We loved sailing out of Tampa last July. We arrived the day before and stayed at the Tampa Mariott Waterside which is located on one of the waterways. ( We got a really good rate using AAA. ) It is a beautiful hotel, and we were more than pleased with our choice. After checking in at the Mariott, we boarded the trolley which has a turning station right in front of the hotel. We rode it into Ybor City, and then continued on the route until we arrived at Channelside where the cruise terminal is. While there, we visited the Florida State Aquarium, ate at one on the restaurants ( on the water ) and familiarized ourselves with the terminal area for the next morning. There are bars, shops, plenty of restaurants, and even a movie theater. That evening, we hopped on the trolley and headed back to the Marriott. When we woke up the next morning, we went out on our balcony and looked to the left, and there was The Legend docked on the same waterway that our hotel was! It was an awesome sight. Have a wonderful time!

Westshore is closer to the airport.

But it is still a nice area with lots of shopping around, restaurants etc.

Ken's main recommendation (a local who posts on here) is to stay away from the Busch Gardens area. It is not safe.

Westshore or port areas are fine.

A taxi from the airport to the port will be around $22 (Oct 06). It is 8 miles.

Hi all...

Distance from Airport?

Hotel recommendations?

Activities around port?

Thanks,

Catrin

We stayed at the Embassy Suites across from Westshore mall and have no problem recommending this hotel. Lots of restaurants in the area.

Is that the Westshore one? That sounds awesome to look out and see her!! Do they have a comp. breakfast?? Was is safe there?? I think the AAA rate on the internet says 129.00. Does that sound about right or did you get a better rate??

No, it was actually the Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina. I believe we booked it for around $130 using AAA. It was a weekend type rate, and we booked it through the Marriott website. That didn't include taxes and I believe there was a valet charge to park the car. It didn't include breakfast, but because we were the first ones on the ship, we ate lunch fairly early. It was, however, so worth it. When we arrived for early check-in , we requested a room on a higher floor with a balcony and received it at no extra charge. The room was really, really nice and everyone there was so helpful in giving us information about the trolley system and how to get around the area without even having to use our car. After touring around Ybor City and exploring Channelside (and all it had to offer), we returned to our room and enjoyed sitting on our balcony watching all of the marina activity that night. It was a wonderful way to begin our vacation! And to top it all off, we were able to get up the next morning and see The Legend moored right down from us. It was just awesome! I took my mom (she was 81 at the time), and we felt just as safe as we could be!

Just type in port of Tampa and you can get all the info you need for it. We are sailing the Legend in April 2009 and I have already looked into that. If you have a problem finding anything I can add some links to the boards for you.

I was talking to our TA last week and she told me that Carnival does not have anything listed as far as hotels yet. It could be because the rates are not in yet or maybe they do not offer it for Tampa. This was for our sailing date of 4/2009

I went ahead and searched it myself. If you check for hotels in Ybor City which is right next to the port you can find some with some good rates that offer shuttle to the port and you more than likely will be able to leave your car there for the week.

I haven't gotten as far as contacting them yet except for one and they do offer what they call "stay, park and go" packages.

Hi all...

Distance from Airport?

Hotel recommendations?

Activities around port?

Thanks,

Catrin

If you go to the bottom of this page to forum jump and go to Homeport Departures and click on Florida this might help. There is a very large thread on there about Tampa that many of us here have helped with. Thousands of posts...it will give you every thing you need to know about Tampa...;)

You might want to look for it because this thread will probably get moved to that board.....;)

Archived