VanDusen Botanical Garden

What can anyone tell me about the VanDusen Botanical Garden? We will be in Vancouver for one afternoon/evening and are planning on the Capilano bridge. Is the VanDusen garden worth seeing? Where is it in relation to the bridge?

What can anyone tell me about the VanDusen Botanical Garden? We will be in Vancouver for one afternoon/evening and are planning on the Capilano bridge. Is the VanDusen garden worth seeing? Where is it in relation to the bridge?

Hi,

The Van Dusen gardens is about at least a 1/2 hr drive over 2 bridges, and it is south of Capilano Bridge. Your drive could take you longer depending on what traffic is like crossing Lions Gate Bridge into downtown and then either Granville or Burrard bridges to Oak street. You can certainly go to Capilano in the AM and then go to Van Dusen in the PM. (It is open from 10AM-9PM June-August.) Note though, that you may be stuck in rush hour traffic between the hours of 3-6 PM.

Van Dusen itself is pretty. You can take a walking tour of the garden, and even get something to eat in the Shaughnessy restaurant. If you are really in love with gardens, then it is probably worthwhile to go there, but start heading there before rush hour starts. If going to Van Dusen Gardens is not a must-do for you, but would still like to see some nice plants/flowers, I would suggest spending some time checking out Stanley Park and its gardens and avoid the hassle of fighting with traffic.

If you have not already thought about it, another option for you since you are already in North Vancouver and are only a few minutes away from some spectacular scenery, is to take the skyride up to Grouse Mountain to take in some views, hiking, etc after finishing your visit at Capilano. There are also a couple of restaurants there you can go to for dinner. (If you make a dinner reservation for the Fine dining restaurant, The Observatory, your admission to the skyride and other mountaintop activities is free).

Hope that helps.

Edit: I just re-read your post and realized you are only here for one afternoon/evening. Depending on what time in the afternoon you get to Vancouver, you can still probably do Capilano in the early afternoon then go to Van Dusen, but your visit to each place will be quick visits as you will not have time to really explore each one that much.

Now that the universities are out coming back from the the North Shore to the Van Dusen Gardens should not be a problem plus for at least part of the journey you will be going against the traffic. If you are heading for the airport you could do in on the way but if you are staying the night then I would do the gardens first, go to the suspension bridge then plan to have dinner up on Grouse Mtn. If it helps, I would plan 5 to 6 hrs for the bridge and the mountain and 1 1/2 to 2 hrs for the gardens.

Thanks for your help. We were thinking about Stanley Park, so we may do that or possibly Grouse Mountain. Just not sure about the price for Grouse Mountain after paying for Capilano also. Not trying to be cheap, but since we are already doing an Alaskan cruise tour, we are spending alot already. I am thinking we need to plan another trip to Vancouver to really get to see it.

"I am thinking we need to plan another trip to Vancouver to really get to see it"

A very true statement - there is so much to see and do that several trips would be necessary.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for your help. We were thinking about Stanley Park, so we may do that or possibly Grouse Mountain. Just not sure about the price for Grouse Mountain after paying for Capilano also. Not trying to be cheap, but since we are already doing an Alaskan cruise tour, we are spending alot already. I am thinking we need to plan another trip to Vancouver to really get to see it.

I think you mentioned on your other thread that you are thinking of going to Lynn Canyon instead of Capilano. I totally recommend this. Even though some may say the bridge in Lynn Canyon is not as "dramatic" as that in Capilano, it is free, and it is not as packed and not as "Disneyland-ish" as Capilano. The fact that you won't have to line up for a ticket and/or have to fight for parking is a bonus in itself. There is just something more serene about it, and I just feel really closer to nature there than Cap.

Another alternative to Grouse, if you have a car and if you are just looking to appreciate the views is to drive up to Mount Seymour and save the $$ you would pay for a tram ride up.

And if you're already going to Mt. Seymour and Lynn Canyon anyway, you could also swing by Deep Cove for a cup of coffee or a drink, browse the shops, or go for a picnic.

And, after all this, you *may* still actually have time to see Stanley Park (or you could also do Stanley Park first then go to the North Shore).

I am all for saving money. If you are also looking for cheap and good eats, come back to this board and tell us what you like and we'll try to help you.

Thank you for the input. I am really thinking the Lynn Canyon will work out well. And actually we can always use suggestions for restaurants. I do not want cheap, just reasonable. We are staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites at 111 Robson, and will probably want to go back there after sightseeing and before dinner, so something in that area. I had read that Relish was good and the website looked promising, but I am always open to suggestions and appreciate all of everyone's help.

Thank you for the input. I am really thinking the Lynn Canyon will work out well. And actually we can always use suggestions for restaurants. I do not want cheap, just reasonable. We are staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites at 111 Robson, and will probably want to go back there after sightseeing and before dinner, so something in that area. I had read that Relish was good and the website looked promising, but I am always open to suggestions and appreciate all of everyone's help.

Relish is good and reasonable. It is about a 10-15 minute walk from your hotel (about 9 blocks). If you want something closer, try Kingston Taphouse and Grille on 755 Richards (between W Georgia and Robson). It's about a 5 minute walk from your hotel (about 4 blocks).

If you want something really close, you can go to Rosie's on Robson, which is about 2 blocks away from your hotel; they serve "Enlgish-style" pub grub, but it's not bad.

If you do not mind the walk, I would say go to Relish or Kingston.

I MUCH prefer their food to Rosie's.

Archived