QE2 - Informal attire?

kaisatsu

We're preparing for our first Cunard cruise (QE2 June 2), and I'm in the middle of shopping and deciding what to pack. I have a few questions about the Cunard dress code.

1) In the information I found on the Cunard site, it specifies that every sea day is a Formal night, and the others are all "Informal." I have no problems with the Formal nights (other than figuring out how to fit all those ball gowns and evening gowns into my luggage!), but I'm wondering about the "Informal" nights. Informal is listed as "Jacket and tie for men. Cocktail dress, dressy trouser suit or similar for women." I'm trying to get an idea of which seven dresses to bring along for these evenings. To me, a cocktail dress is usually satin or crepe, often beaded, and usually only distinguishable from an evening gown by its length (tea length vs floor length). Is this what I should expect? Or do passengers tend to just wear afternoon dresses? (or both?)

"Informal":

Cocktail dress? _5416994.jpg Or Afternoon Dress? _5614849.jpg

2) In the unfortunate event that after a port day of hiking in the Norwegian mountains I can't convince my husband to don a jacket, does this mean that we're relegated to room service for dinner? The dining rooms are clearly out, and the Lido specifies a jacket (but no tie) for men. DH is much happier in a tie than a jacket (he gets warm so easily it puts the Norwegians to shame), so would he be accepted in the Lido in a dress shirt and tie but no jacket (instead of vice versa)?

3) What should we expect for general sea-day casual attire? Normally I would bring casual dresses, but since we're sailing all the way to Svalbard, I anticipate plenty of time with temperatures under 10°C - too chilly in my book for bare legs.

4) I fully intend to wear jeans around the ports, but will I be frowned upon after re-embarking? I doubt I'll be able to bring myself to change right away only to change again for dinner an hour later. And I have no intention of doing the aforementioned hiking in resort casual attire. ;)

Thanks for your input!

I hesitate to respond to a question about the "Dress Code" as it is a mare's nest. And certainly I won't say much about women's attire except to say that I think you might be planning on packing too many outfits! "Informal" at night for ladies seemed to permit "afternoon dresses" that are dressy. I would suggest lots of different scarfs and an array of costume-jewelry necklaces and a simple but magnificent black gown for "Formal" nights.

Gentlemen after 6 p.m. are really, really expected to wear Jackets for "Informal" and "Elegant Casual" nights -- especially by fellow passengers. This is more important than a tie, I noticed on the Farewell World Cruise, as a turtle-neck shirt is just as good as a tie for "Informal." There is, unfortunately, in The Lido, a growing group of people who ignore the standard rules regarding dress codes that are printed clearly in at least two places in the Daily Programme.

I think you won't have a problem whatsoever with wearing civilized casual attire that is completely comfortable on the ship after returning from a day tour. Again, why not Kahki pants rather than denim jeans? You can clearly see in the Brochures that jeans are among those clothes not accepted on the QE2 on many occasions. So, if you choose the QE2, or the QM2 or the Queen Victoria, why buck the system?

Lord Kay of Shandon.

I hesitate to respond to a question about the "Dress Code" as it is a mare's nest. And certainly I won't say much about women's attire except to say that I think you might be planning on packing too many outfits! "Informal" at night for ladies seemed to permit "afternoon dresses" that are dressy. I would suggest lots of different scarfs and an array of costume-jewelry necklaces and a simple but magnificent black gown for "Formal" nights.

Gentlemen after 6 p.m. are really, really expected to wear Jackets for "Informal" and "Elegant Casual" nights -- especially by fellow passengers. This is more important than a tie, I noticed on the Farewell World Cruise, as a turtle-neck shirt is just as good as a tie for "Informal." There is, unfortunately, in The Lido, a growing group of people who ignore the standard rules regarding dress codes that are printed clearly in at least two places in the Daily Programme.

I think you won't have a problem whatsoever with wearing civilized casual attire that is completely comfortable on the ship after returning from a day tour. Again, why not Kahki pants rather than denim jeans? You can clearly see in the Brochures that jeans are among those clothes not accepted on the QE2 on many occasions. So, if you choose the QE2, or the QM2 or the Queen Victoria, why buck the system?

Lord Kay of Shandon.

May the Queen herself grant you every wish! Well felt and said!

I'm just worried that if I slip and fall on a wet boulder and I'm wearing khaki slacks, A) They will be more likely to get stained, and B) I'm more likely to get scratched or scraped.

Also, wandering around in Norwegian cities, I'm much more comfortable in well-cut jeans compared to other kinds of slacks. Aside from office workers on their way to/from work, I don't see very many people here wearing slacks. It's almost always jeans or skirts/tunics with leggings.

But before anyone gets too upset, I won't be wearing denim other than getting on/off the ship!

But before anyone gets too upset, I won't be wearing denim other than getting on/off the ship!

Well, don't worry too much about it. While jeans are not suitable evening attire, they are seen during the day on the ship. And, most of us are too busy having our own fun to worry about day dress of our fellow passengers, unless it is really spectacular (and I can think of one person on the recent WC who, without wearing jeans) drew many stares during the day (and yes, to the curious, she was fully clothed).

While jeans are not suitable evening attire, they are seen during the day on the ship.

Susan's right. You'll be fine in jeans (I only wore them for embarkation and disembarkation).

I can think of one person on the recent WC who, without wearing jeans drew many stares during the day (and yes, to the curious, she was fully clothed).

I can't think who you mean;) Would Sir Martin (an orange cat) have anything to do with it?:D

Susan's right. You'll be fine in jeans (I only wore them for embarkation and disembarkation).

By what miracle did they fit for both events?:)

BTW, to the OP, jeans are fine during the day. I wear them, others wear them, and they are well suited to the Norwegian climate.

By what miracle did they fit for both events?:)

They were very big when I wore them on the way down; were slightly tighter on our first return to Southampton and had shrunk dramatically on our return!

Any opinions on the cocktail vs afternoon dress? I'm a bit worried that my heavily beaded cocktail dresses are going to be too dressy on informal nights. Is it even possible to overdress on a Cunard ship?

Any opinions on the cocktail vs afternoon dress? I'm a bit worried that my heavily beaded cocktail dresses are going to be too dressy on informal nights. Is it even possible to overdress on a Cunard ship?

Only if you are wearing coctail dresses at 9:00 am. On the other hand it is also possible to under dress if as a celebratory recently did, you chose to wear your pj's and terry robe in the public rooms at 11:30 am.

I can't think who you mean;) Would Sir Martin (an orange cat) have anything to do with it?:D

Yes, Always first in line. Aren't those memories wonderful? I heard about the cocktail dress in the morning which was even more out of place than jeans (I was off by that time). To the O.P. emember, dress comfortably, follow the spirit of the dress code and enjoy your cruise!!!

Susan

Yes, please be comfortable and relaxed and happy on your first QE2 cruise!

Where I seem to differ from some others is that to dress UP is not uncomfortable and that to dress DOWN is, especially when it flirts with the stated Dress Code of the liner on which I am a guest. The Letter of the Law is to me as sacred as is its Spirit. Perhaps that is the difference between Singapore and Saigon. Perhaps that is why I am a Traditionalist in the Minority in today's society!

Yes, please be comfortable and relaxed and happy on your first QE2 cruise!

Where I seem to differ from some others is that to dress UP is not uncomfortable and that to dress DOWN is, especially when it flirts with the stated Dress Code of the liner on which I am a guest. The Letter of the Law is to me as sacred as is its Spirit. Perhaps that is the difference between Singapore and Saigon. Perhaps that is why I am a Traditionalist in the Minority in today's society!

I second that statement. No argument here.

Cheers!!

They were very big when I wore them on the way down; were slightly tighter on our first return to Southampton and had shrunk dramatically on our return!

It's the salty sea air Malcolm. It has that effect on cotton cloth ;)

J

Hope you have your dress problems sorted by now. My wife and I will be on QE2 on June 2nd dining in Caronia and on 4 deck. As you are from Oslo perhaps you could give we "soft Brits" some ideas on what weather to expect and suggest some ideas for outdoor clothing :confused:

Hope you have your dress problems sorted by now. My wife and I will be on QE2 on June 2nd dining in Caronia and on 4 deck. As you are from Oslo perhaps you could give we "soft Brits" some ideas on what weather to expect and suggest some ideas for outdoor clothing :confused:

Hope you have your dress problems sorted by now.

You have no idea! I ordered a new gown from this trip and had it shipped to me here, but there was a mix-up with the post and the dress got sent back to the vendor in the US! It's currently finding its way back through US customs, and hopefully the shipper will get it and send it back across the Atlantic again! Too bad this isn't a TA, because my dress will be an expert after three crossings! ;)

As you are from Oslo perhaps you could give we "soft Brits" some ideas on what weather to expect and suggest some ideas for outdoor clothing :confused:

I doubt I have too much insight to offer. So far it feels like this summer is shaping up to be the same as last year - cold and wet. If that's the case, we can expect the coast to be damp and cool and covered in fog. Definitely not the best conditions for a coastal cruise! I'm hoping for the best, though!

I would guess we'll generally have low teens along the coast up to the Arctic Circle and then cooler temperatures after that. From what I understand, Svalbard should be topping around 6°C that time of year. I'm planning to bring a few sweaters, a cozy fleece pullover to layer, and a light wind/rain jacket.

And remember, the Norwegians claim, "There's no such thing as bad weather - only inappropriate clothing!" :)

Archived