Transportation to Gastown

We are staying at the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver and we were thinking of going to the Spaghetti Factory in Gastown 1 night for dinner. The hotel told me it would be about a 30 minute leasurely walk. My mom will be with us and it might be hard for her to walk that distance (bad knees), so my question is...is there any kind of public transportation that we can take from our hotel to Gastown? I thought I read somewhere that you could take the skytrain????

Also, any opinions on the Spaghetti Factory?

There will be a total of 6 of us in our group, including 2 teenagers, and we really don't want to spend a fortune on dinner, but we do want to eat good food.

Thanks.

Michele

We are staying at the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver and we were thinking of going to the Spaghetti Factory in Gastown 1 night for dinner. The hotel told me it would be about a 30 minute leasurely walk. My mom will be with us and it might be hard for her to walk that distance (bad knees), so my question is...is there any kind of public transportation that we can take from our hotel to Gastown? I thought I read somewhere that you could take the skytrain????

Also, any opinions on the Spaghetti Factory?

There will be a total of 6 of us in our group, including 2 teenagers, and we really don't want to spend a fortune on dinner, but we do want to eat good food.

Thanks.

Michele

It has been around for almost 40 years serving up inexpensive spaghetti and pasta dinners. It is kind of a fun place and a good spot for a family dinner. Yes it is accessible by transit and here is a transit link. I would place the walking time at 15 to 20 mins though. I rather like the spaghetti in white clam sauce.

http://www.translink.bc.ca/

http://www.oldspaghettifactory.ca/location_vancouver.html

Get there early - the lineups can be long - over an hour a week ago and that was on a night when their were no cruise ships in town or hockey games on - fortunately a friend got there early and got our name in so we didn't have to wait to long once all of our party got there. It should cost your around $15.00 a person for dinner, pop and tips per person.

Try phoning an making a reservation - a party of six should be able to get one.

Taking the bus is problematic - regardless of what bus you take you are still going to have to walk through parts of the downtown east side although it should be fairly safe if not unsightly.

It's a downhill walk from your hotel - so here's how I would walk it - coming out of the hotel walk north down Burrard to Cordova - almost to Canada Place - then turn right and walk along Cordova past Waterfront Station - the road then splits - take the left street - that's Water St and continue about three blocks to the restaurant. Lot's of attractions and things for the teens to see going this way.

After dinner if some of you don't want to walk back and still avoid the mess of the downtown eastside - take a taxi back - the cost of a taxi might almost be cheaper than the bus which is $2.50 per person x 6 persons = $15.00.

Just a suggestion.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

It's perfect for a mixed family group. It's not gourmet dining but fun and decent and a good price.

I agree with the person who said the walking time is more like 15 minutes. I also wonder about putting six in a cab. Perhaps 3-4 of you could walk down , put your name in, and call back for your mother and another person with the approximate wait time.

We usually put our name in and then browse in the shops.

Viv

Sounds like a great idea, if we do need to get a taxi. If the walk is shorter than 30 minutes, she'll probably be fine.

I'm glad to hear the food is good. We are NOT looking for gourmet dining, especially when we would have to pay gourmet prices.

Michele

Get there early - the lineups can be long - over an hour a week ago and that was on a night when their were no cruise ships in town or hockey games on - fortunately a friend got there early and got our name in so we didn't have to wait to long once all of our party got there. It should cost your around $15.00 a person for dinner, pop and tips per person.

Try phoning an making a reservation - a party of six should be able to get one.

Taking the bus is problematic - regardless of what bus you take you are still going to have to walk through parts of the downtown east side although it should be fairly safe if not unsightly.

It's a downhill walk from your hotel - so here's how I would walk it - coming out of the hotel walk north down Burrard to Cordova - almost to Canada Place - then turn right and walk along Cordova past Waterfront Station - the road then splits - take the left street - that's Water St and continue about three blocks to the restaurant. Lot's of attractions and things for the teens to see going this way.

After dinner if some of you don't want to walk back and still avoid the mess of the downtown eastside - take a taxi back - the cost of a taxi might almost be cheaper than the bus which is $2.50 per person x 6 persons = $15.00.

Just a suggestion.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,

Would you be able to recommend other places to eat that are as reasonable as The Old Spag. Factory? We are staying at the Hampton Inn on Robson Street. YEs we want good food but reasonable...You have been so helpful Thank you

Robson Street is 'cheek-to-jowl' with good reasonably priced restaurants of all different types and cuisines. Just check at the front desk ..... they'll gladly tell you what is within walking distance of the front door...and I bet it won't be far!

There is another Italian restaurant that is as old as I am, (60+), but it is definitely a cab ride...which may kill it for you with six people. It is called Nick's...it is on Commercial Drive... which is the neighbourhood that when I was growing up we called 'little Italy'. Food is great...portions are huge...prices are good. Sometimes a short wait on a Friday or Saturday night...doesn't have the fun atmosphere that the Old Spag. Factory has....but I think it might be worth considering.

Hope you have a great time while in Vancouver!

Dennis,

Would you be able to recommend other places to eat that are as reasonable as The Old Spag. Factory? We are staying at the Hampton Inn on Robson Street. YEs we want good food but reasonable...You have been so helpful Thank you

You may want to try Rosie's on Robson, a few blocks west of your hotel, a Moxies in the Sandman Inn on W. Georgia and the White Spot at W. Georgia & Seymour. Both Moxies and White Spot are kind of Applebieish.

PD's suggestions would be the same as mind - while I live downtown I am not in the Yaletown/Stadium area so am no expert on the restaurants in that area. Here are three that I have tried and that are popular

Yaletown Brewery which is an eatery as well as a pub is also close by:

http://www.markjamesgroup.com/yaletown.html

There is an Cactus Club:

http://www.cactusclubcafe.com/

and Milestones:- this would be the my favorite of the three

http://www.milestonesrestaurants.com/yaletown.html

These are local chains that offer a mixed menu.

Hope this helps

This talk about food has made me hungry - time for breakfast

Cheers

Dennis

We were in Vancouver last July. We got a taxi at $10 for 4 of us. Had bread, salad, spaghetti, ice cream and coffee for about $10 each. Good atmosphere. We enjoyed it so much in Whistler we took our fellow cruisers to Gastown. Nice to walk around the shops, view the clock and get a taxi back. Hope we find more Spaghetti Factories on the east side in October. Go for it.;)

Archived