Help - Visa Question!

Jayhawk123

Hi,

Four of us will be cruising on the 7 day round trip from and back to Seattle. One of us is a US Citizen, one is a US resident (greencard holder - Kenyan citizen living in the USA) and two are non-US residents (Kenyan Citizens living in Kenya - they will have multiple entry USA visitor visa though)

My question is, will the other 3 people need Canadian visas?? If they were to travel to Canada, they would need visas, but wasn't sure about the cruise since we are leaving from the USA and arriving to the USA (Seattle).

Thanks for your help...can't find the answer anywhere!

Surely somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that if they would normally need a visa to enter Canada by other means, and they want to disembark in a Canadian port, they will need a visa. I do not know if they would be denied boarding entirely, or just kept aboard in Canadian ports (if any).

Thanks IMNiles. I have been calling around all afternoon to get a straight answer but have been unsuccessful. It seems every place I call has a different answer. I've called the Canadian embassy as well!

I guess I'm concerned about them not being able to board at all because the cruise liner will be going across "Canadian waters". Which would mean that even if they chose not to get off the ship, they are still on Canadian water, requiring visas.

Dear Jayhawk,

Yes, Kenyan citizens will need visas, according to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web page regarding: "Countries and territories whose citizens require visas in order to enter Canada as visitors", located here --> http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/visit/visas.asp

Even if they were only to transit Canada, they would still require visas --> "If you need a visa to visit Canada, then you will need a transit visa to travel through Canada without stopping or visiting. You will need a transit visa even if you stop in Canada for less than 48 hours." (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/visit/visit-faq02.asp)

Agents at the port of embarkation (Seattle) will be checking that they have the proper travel documentation, and if not, they will be denied boarding at the port.

The US permanent resident Kenyan citizen will not require a visa for Canada (but be sure s/he travels with the valid green card in addition to their valid Kenyan passport).

I would call the Canadian Consulate General in Seattle; they will be able to give you the definitive answer:

Canadian Consulate General, Seattle

1501 4th Ave., Suite 600

Seattle, WA 98101

Tel (206) 443-1777; Fax (206) 443-9662

seatl@international.gc.ca

Good luck, and have a wonderful cruise!

~ Jean

Archived